Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Preventing spontaneous dwarf combustion  (Read 2702 times)

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Preventing spontaneous dwarf combustion
« on: July 26, 2009, 02:47:43 am »

In my current fort, I turned off temperature for some reason...

Oh, right, to take out the imps... (Clarification, this was several years ago, and neither miner was involved with imp killing)

And just turned it back on.

All of a sudden, my two legendary miners bleed to death.

In replaying the incident, they suddenly have their feet turn red, and then their clothing catches fire.

Since I saved before turning the temperature back on, I can save them, but I just discovered something important.

Magma farms can evaporate aquifers.
All this water that I'd been wondering how to get rid of suddenly goes up in a puff.

Experimentation shows that I can temporarily delay the dwarf flambe by having them dig into a nearby aquifer, and this allows for them to be recovered and put into a bed...

Then burst into flame.

I'm guessing it has something to do with a water covering.

Can I possibly save them by stationing them in a swimming pool? Both are competent swimmers, so there's no danger of drowning.  But will they ever stop being prone to going up in smoke?

I suppose the other way to say this is: Is it possible to use water to cool things down?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 02:56:13 am by Shrike »

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preventing spontaneous dwarf combustion
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 03:03:38 am »

Check their inventory, they may have, even if unintended, been swimming in magma, which leaves magma coverings on them/their clothes.

The magma coverings will catch fire as soon as the temperature goes back on.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 03:28:23 am »

Ah, I did. In the moments before ignition, nothing is burning, and they aren't in or around magma.

They just develop a really bad case of athlete's foot, and THEN everything goes up in flames.

I imagine that they're retaining heat, even though temperature is nominally off. And turning it off just prevents the checks to see if things freeze or burn, not the accumulation of heat.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 03:37:38 am »

You may need to select and check the individual clothes to see if they have a covering, besides that, if they keep bursting into flame there may be something else wrong.

Is it just the miners? Their feet turning red might mean they have walked in 1/7 magma, which will burn the feet without hurting anything else. I'd suggest you pause the game and use the one-step button (.) to go very slowly, and inspect their wounds and inventory a lot, it may show if/when their feet, or their other things start burning, and what burns instantaneously.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 03:48:45 am »

I didn't advance slowly, but I did look more carefully. At some point, they must have walked through 1/7 magma.

But I watched them carefully. The dwarf ignites first, then their clothing. As long as there is a water covering on them, they can't burn. But the water evaporates, and then they burst into flame. I am currently trying to keep them standing in water, to see if there is any possible way to prevent the injury.

Another thought is to make a waterfall through the barracks or assign them beds so that a constant mist is around them. They'll be laid up for several seasons, if not for the rest of their lives, but it might be possible to keep them damp and possibly heal, thereby removing the fire... or just having them start burning if they ever get better.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 06:45:22 am »

They may be dooomed. They must have magma coverings on their feet or on their shoes or socks if they are spontaneously igniting like that.

The clothes can be gotten rid of after a long enough time. I'm not so sure about the magma coverings on feet.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 07:16:01 am »

I was quite surprised when I had this problem a few hours ago.
For me it happened when I had finished flooring the top of a magma pipe.
Everyone was back in the underground fortress having a few laughs and suddenly I see loads of smoke and 3-4 dwarfs suddenly died due to "bleeding".
Even my Farmer who had no dealing with magma in any way.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 01:41:20 pm »

Leaving temperature off for now. The map has a large number of aquifers, and I can somewhat easily set up a waterfall using them, or use a mist generator.

I have the feeling that they /are/ doomed, but as two of the original 7 (and one of them married to the current mayor), they have a lot of friends and could cause a significant blow to morale. Really don't want to lose the fort; just got a second legendary armorer, and there's a lot of non-HFS adamantine nodes (no ability to make plate mail, though... but the second armorer made an artifact adamantine platemail, oddly.)

But, if I can keep them damp, I could keep them alive. This is probably the closest we'll get to dwarven ICU.

It's possibly also the most dwarfy thing I've done yet, seeing that I'm potentially endangering the fort to support two dwarves who will likely never work again, using a lot of mechanisms, time, and effort in the process.

But to know if this is possible will be useful for advancement of dwarf science!

(Also, making the barracks full of mist and statues couldn't hurt fortress morale).

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 02:30:36 pm »

I just thought on it some more, and if the magma covering is just on their clothing(Notably, socks/shoes), then you may be able to save them by keeping them in a room with a 3/7 waterlevel. It is deep enough to not evaporate instantly, keeps their lower bodies damp, but not deep enough to have them drown(At least not when standing) With a little bit of luck, they may choose to dump their old socks if they're worn enough, which will hopefully remove the magma part from the dwarf part.

I recommend making a workshop and having plenty of food, booze, and materials to work with in there, as well as some new socks/shoes, and a cabinet to try to get them to drop the magma covered ones faster.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 02:49:54 pm »

To clarify:

They only have mud, blood, and vomit coverings. No magma coverings on the dwarves or on their very few remaining clothes.

That's why this is so confusing. They are simply igniting, and so they must be very hot from something done long ago.

That's why the rescue plan is now this: Temp off, build & test the mist generator in the barracks. Military the miners, station 'em in the barracks by the beds, then  save when there's water on them. Turn on the temp, and watch what happens.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 02:59:35 pm »

You make physics cry.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 07:18:07 pm »

You could make a two special rooms just for them and put your mist generators in them. Turn off all of their labor options. Put a food and drink stockpile right next to their rooms and have a mist generator running through that hallway as well. That should fix it but I have no experience with spontaneous combistion so I don't know.

Also, make sure they are farting on a regular basis too, that could be the problem.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 07:19:32 pm »

but the second armorer made an artifact adamantine platemail, oddly

...[drool]...what's the value on that?

As far as the spontaneous combustion goes, it make no sense to me if there's no magma coverings...I've never turned temperature off though.

KG

Zwergner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 11:01:42 am »

They don't have any clothing made out of imps, do they?

Strip 'em naked just in case.
Dwarf Transplant updating utility

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 11:10:12 am »

but the second armorer made an artifact adamantine platemail, oddly

...[drool]...what's the value on that?
4324800 DB.

More interesting than that?
It's named Girethvathsith, "Imagesquare". And it has a picture of Adamantine plate mail in orc bone. So,  for once, an item with a picture of itself has an appropriate name.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:13:58 am by Shrike »
Pages: [1] 2