Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Difficulties with modded metals  (Read 922 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Difficulties with modded metals
« on: July 26, 2009, 01:06:46 am »

Getting bored with how easy vanilla DF is, I'm experimenting with bits and pieces of other people's mods, orcs and harder farming and improved megabeasts and so on.
I'm also adding a few of my own metals, filling the niche that is better-than-steel but worse-than-adamantine.
Specifically:
* a really valuable, but weak metal, like pimped-out platinum (unobtainium);
* a metal that is 200 DAMAGE_PERC which can only be used for weapons (wyrdflint);
* a metal that is 200 BLOCK_PERC which can only be used for armour (wyrd wirewool);
* a metal that is 250 of each made by smelting the two previous metals together, which can be used for anything (wyrdsteel).

Now ideally, I'd like it so that (a) my dwarfs start out with steel weapons/armour on the embark screen as normal, and (b) dwarvern traders still bring steel objects.
Basically I want to ONLY be able to access the modded metals by mining their ores and smelting them down into bars.

But because of the [METAL_PREF] tag (I think), they always prefer the new, better, rarer metals on the embark screen - and reclaiming a fortress results in all your dwarves wearing the improved metals. I tried to fix this by adding [DEEP] to the metals and/or their ores, but this causes adamantine to appear in veins on the surface.

The only stopgap I can find is to reduce the damage and block values temporarily, so steel is preferred on the embark screen. But once I change them back in-game, dwarf traders still prefer to bring unobtainium bracelets, immigrant woodcutters come with wyrdflint axes, and so on.

[Also, making the modded metals ridiculously valuable doesn't work - it just extends my points available on embark to, say, 12000, to allow the standard 2 axes, and once I lose the axes, I have a huge excess]

Is there a solution or do I just have to suck it up?

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Difficulties with modded metals
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 12:11:16 pm »

Did you try adding [DEEP] to just the metals? [DEEP] on metals shouldn't do anything beyond making them unavailable to NPC civs.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 04:23:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure I tried all three, just metals / just ore / both.

I'll check again with a fresh vanilla download, add my mods, and no saves just in case I forgot to delete the objects last time or something.

So tired of world genning!

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 05:46:42 pm »

I'm pretty sure I tried all three, just metals / just ore / both.

I'll check again with a fresh vanilla download, add my mods, and no saves just in case I forgot to delete the objects last time or something.

So tired of world genning!

Really? If you tried all three ways you should have had one of them work. Adding the [DEEP] tag to the ores causes conflicts with HFS so that's understandable if you did that. However adding it to the metal should have no adverse effects other than to keep away metal_pref.

If what LOSNR said doesn't work you may want to clear your objects folder. Not the one in raw but the one in data.

Exampe of Ore and Metal
Ore:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Metal:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 07:20:36 pm »

Ah, by your and LOSNR's responses I'd say I probably forgot to clear my objects at one critical point, presumably while I was renaming their [NAME_TAGS] so a copy was left in the data file. I'll try again once I get home.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 07:31:18 pm »

(Aaaand a little searching shows the dig deeper mod which I think I stole some things from has had some very similar issues)
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39256.0

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 07:36:16 pm »

(Aaaand a little searching shows the dig deeper mod which I think I stole some things from has had some very similar issues)
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39256.0

lol from what I get and what I just read at the Dig Deeper post (http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=35736.195) he just fixed the problem.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 03:38:47 am »

[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:MAGNETITE_3:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:HEMATITE_3:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:LIMONITE_3:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]

What's the "_3" after the ore name?
Does it mean there are three types of that ore you have or a special (unknown to me) suffix? ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 10:23:18 am »

Does it mean there are three types of that ore you have or a special (unknown to me) suffix? ;-)

A personal mod of mine. Basically when the ores vien they have a chance of either having low, regular, or high quality ore in them. Low qaultiy gives a 50% chance of providing an ore when smelted, regular 100% and high has a 100% plus another 10% chance to get a second bar.

It's in my sig if you want to check it out

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 11:23:39 am »

Not a chance but percent.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 11:59:25 pm »

A personal mod of mine. Basically when the ores vien they have a chance of either having low, regular, or high quality ore in them. Low qaultiy gives a 50% chance of providing an ore when smelted, regular 100% and high has a 100% plus another 10% chance to get a second bar.
You're using "orewise" skill. ;-))
Finis sanctificat media.