Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wild Animal Mating?  (Read 4654 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Wild Animal Mating?
« on: July 25, 2009, 08:48:58 pm »

I was originally planning to butcher my starter animals for food, and decided against it, as it was my first time playing with the orc mod so I figured I'd save them just in case.  This apparently resulted in one of the two mating with the local wildlife, as I just got a "Horse Foal Born" message, and I only had one horse....

Anyone else seen this?

I'll post screenshots later, but my internet is really slow at the moment.....
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Animal Mating?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 08:51:04 pm »

Was it during a caravan meeting? It could have did...*something* with the caravans horses.
Or when that guy had some gobbo ambush on his map get ruined cause the horses gave birth.

Dedo678

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The adept
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 09:09:13 pm »

Was it during a caravan meeting? It could have did...*something* with the caravans horses.
Or when that guy had some gobbo ambush on his map get ruined cause the horses gave birth.

God, that would create the biggest awkward moment with the caravan guard.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 09:12:10 pm »

Average Joe Mcguard:*look of horror*
Elfy McElf:*Slightly Scary Smiling*
Urist McDwarf:*murdering elf*
Elfy McElf:*look of horror*
Phantom:*Aiming SA80 to shoot dwarf*

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 09:18:48 pm »

I had a load of deer trapped by a tree that grew and trapped loads of them in one tiny inescapable area. They bred despite me having no deer, and when I cut down the tree my hunters went nuts and slaughtered for about a solid year.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 09:20:40 pm »

*aims rifle to shoot deer*
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY OF THESE F*CKERS HERE RIGHT NOW!?!?!?

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 09:26:38 pm »

Hmm... capturing and breeding wild animals without training them to let my hunters have some fun.... new project!
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 09:34:24 pm »

Capturing and breeding wild animals was done to train up Mörul, the most interesting dwarf in the world. It's the best way to train up legendary ambushers, since it's possible to extinct wild animals in a fort. The Mörul way was to capture them and keep them in a cavern that made it impossible for them to path out of.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 10:11:11 pm »

Elizar has it right.

Normally you don't notice wild animals breeding because they get pregnant and migrate off the screen before they deliver. Sometimes if you capture one in a cage it'll deliver in the cage, but tame/wild will breed happily and don't need to come in proximity to each other. The offspring will be tame/wild based on the mother.

And there's still about 300 wild animals in the basement of Morul's fort. Probably send him down when he hits the next weapon to skill.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 10:30:52 pm »

Yeah, a trader's animal probably got your horse pregnant. Maybe it would happen more often if you added some slot machines and a few clubs.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 10:38:49 pm »

Phantom:HEY GUYS ITS AN UNDERGROUND HORSE TRAFFICKING,GAMBLING,AND REPRODUCING RING!!!!
Human and Dwarf Police:FREEZE!
Elf and Horses:Shit its the five-o!
Elf Vigilante:GET YOUR BOWS AND KILL THEM!

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 06:38:13 pm »

Embark on an area with hippos and wait a few years. Check how many pages of hippos and hippo calves you've got. I had about eight or nine in one of mine.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 08:34:17 pm »

I can tell you this though.. a restrained male can impregnate any female anywhere on the map. In one of my forts I had these roaming groups of horses and camels. One of the groups was female only, but still gave birth. I had a chained male horse in one of my stables ..

Spooky shit happens in the world of DF.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 09:16:45 pm »

In Dwarf Fortress the animals mate WITH THEIR MINDS!!!!!
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 09:18:33 pm »

Actualy they use spores.
Pages: [1] 2