Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An odd furniture question  (Read 754 times)

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An odd furniture question
« on: July 25, 2009, 05:42:45 pm »

Two of my masons have created artifact millstones in the last year  ::)

Do they actually mill things faster, or just make dwarves happy from seeing masterfully arranged millstones?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An odd furniture question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 06:12:54 pm »

From what I know, millstones always work at the same speed.

A quern is generally slower, but a skilled miller may be faster with it then with a millstone.

Use them like you would an artifact statue, if they're magma proof they should make the nobles happy. Otherwise, some other public place for making Urist happy.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 07:55:09 pm »

I have a similar question. I have a fort where an artifact Wooden chest and stone cabinet were made. I would like to build these somewhere in a traffic area as opposed to a nobel room but I won't this cause dwarves to constantly "check" them per the legacy/bug feature? If so, is there any way to avoid that?

creidieki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 12:40:34 pm »

I like to leave artifact cabinets in my dining room.  Dwarves constantly check it, and they often get a happy thought from how awesome the cabinet is.

Ellie

• Bay Watcher
  • I will have my revenge...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 12:46:43 pm »

Heck, artifact furniture items are basically really nice statues. Stick it in a major hallway or a room you want boosted to a higher status.

Heck, all of my fortresses have halls filled with artifacts to keep the little buggers happy. And due to their happiness boosts, tantrums are not likely to destroy them. ;)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 12:47:04 pm »

From what I know, millstones always work at the same speed.

A quern is generally slower, but a skilled miller may be faster with it then with a millstone.

Last time I watched my legendary miller use a millstone, he was done with each job pretty much the instant he arrived with the hauled plant. I don't see how a quern can be any faster than that.

If so, is there any way to avoid that?

They would probably refrain from looking into the containers if you marked them as forbidden. I don't know if they will still admire them then.