Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Battle of the Gods VI OOC Thread -preparation-  (Read 14005 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Battle of the Gods VI OOC Thread -preparation-
« on: July 25, 2009, 07:35:06 am »

The newest and most complete map, posted at the top of the topic for your convenience

0    0    1    1    2     2    3
   0    5    0    5    0     5    0
   --------------------------------
00|⌂▲▲▲⌂●●●●●█████●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈¤≈≈$≈≈¤≈≈
  |≈▲^▲⌂⌂⌂●●●●●●●●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
  |⌂▲▲▲⌂⌂T≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♣♣♣H♣♣♣♣♣♣≈≈≈≈
  |⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂.≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♣♣♣♣♣⌂⌂⌂♣♣♣♣♣≈≈
  |≈.≈..≈T≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♣♣♣♣♣⌂⌂^⌂H♣♣♣♣♣
05|≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♣♣♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂♣♣♣┌
  |≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈──────○▲▲⌂⌂♣♣┌┘
  |≈≈≈≈...≈≈.≈≈≈≈≈♣♣♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂♣┌┘.≈
  |≈≈┐..⌂⌂R≈|..≈≈≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲○───┘...
  |♣.|.⌂⌂▲⌂♣|...≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲W⌂.....♣
10|♣|⌂⌂▲⌂⌂♣|..R≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲^▲⌂⌂....♣♣
  |♣♣R⌂▲○───┘...≈...♣♣¥⌂▲▲▲⌂⌂..♣♣♣♣
  |♣♣⌂▲⌂⌂R♣....≈≈..♣♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂...♣♣♣
  |.⌂⌂▲⌂.♣.....≈≈≈┐.♣♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲⌂..*♣♣
  |⌂⌂▲⌂⌂♣♣♣♣.T≈≈≈¥└─────¥▲▲⌂⌂...♣♣♣
15|⌂▲▲▲⌂♣♣♣♣♣≈≈T≈.......⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂..*♣♣
  |⌂▲^▲⌂♣♣♣♣♣≈≈≈≈≈.......⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂.┌──
  |⌂▲▲▲⌂♣♣♣≈≈≈≈≈≈¥.....⌂^▲⌂○──┘*.
  |≈⌂▲▲⌂♣♣♣⌠C≈≈T≈≈≈≈.....⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂....
  |≈⌂▲⌂⌂♣♣⌠⌠|⌠≈≈≈≈≈⌠⌠⌠┌──○▲▲⌂⌂♣♣♣♣♣
20|⌂⌂▲⌂⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠|⌠≈≈≈⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠|⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂⌂#♣♣♣♣
  |▲▲○─┐┌─┐⌠|⌠└─┬─────┘⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂..♣♣♣♣
  |⌂⌂⌂~└┘~└─┘~~.|⌠⌠⌠⌠⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂~~~~~~~
  |~~~~S~~~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈⌠⌠⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂~~~~~*
  |~~~~~~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌠┌─○▲▲⌂⌂~~~~~
25|~~~~S~~~~≈≈≈≈≈♫≈≈≈─┬┘⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂~~~~~
  |~~~~~~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈♠|⌂⌂▲▲▲~~Ψ~~
  |~~~~┌─S≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈██|⌂⌂▲^▲⌂⌂~~~~~
  |~~~~|~~~~███≈≈≈≈█♫●|⌂⌂▲▲▲⌂⌂~~~~~
  |⌂⌂⌂~|~~~~●♫█≈≈≈≈██●└──○▲▲⌂⌂Ψ~~~~
30|○───┘~~~~●●~♠q♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂~~~~

the most recent and complete map

welcome to the newest installement of BotG, the gods favourite pastime activity !

for those who do not know what BotG is:

Battle of the Gods is a forum roleplay-game, in which each player takes the role of one (or several) divine (or demonic) entities. These entities are gathered around a gameboard (the world) and guide their believers to whatever time may bring, trying to accomplish whatever goal the god or their believers have in mind. The player also takes controle over a civilisation that can consist of one or more races.
The focus of this game is diplomacy, warfare and of course the epicness that takes place when the interests of several gods clash.

Unlike game like Evolution, Lords of Creation or Age of restauration, all of which are quite popular, this game tries to avoid numbers and dicerolls whenever possible.
There are no units for labour, no number of soldiers, no special resources that need to be gathered, they are abstracted away and lie in the conscience of the respective players.

It is also possible to try other game modes for those who don't want to controle an entire civilisation. You can try just playing a small group of independant individuals, or maybe even just a single hero, who work without the influence of the gods. These can be drawn from all races on board, there is no reason to create an extra-race for them.
Or you could play a rogue god who lacks the power and influence on the world to sit up there with the bigshots, and hopes to rise in power by gathering believers.
Or whatever other whacky idea you have. As long as it makes for good story-telling, feel free.

The setting of this battle of the gods:

This game will have a setting that is different from the last games. In the last games, all civs started from zero, usually warped in by their gods.
This time, the gods will pick up an abandoned game. They went out for booze and hookers, and when they got back they realize they forgot to finish a game.

in the meantime, 1000 years have passed on the gameboard. The millenium known as the godless age. Many changes have taken place, not only in the civilisations, but also geograficaly. The gameboard is a world that is directly under the gods influence. Without them, mountains collapse, oceans dry out and deserts become blooming forests. The gods have quite a situation at hand, but are determined to finish this game instead of just dropping it, as the pot for the winner is quite high.

During 1000 godless years, the civs in question have allies and broken those alliances, waged war and made peace, created wonders and destroyed them, went extinct and rose again, migrated immigrated and are by now no longer little children that tug on the skirt of their god.

Now the gods have returned, and a new age is dawning

Turns:

each turn lasts 3 days IRL and covers 6 months on the gameboard. During that time, each player is required to describe all significant actions. And please refrain from posting long lists that look like this:

building that and that : 1/5
training this and this: 2/3

this is NOT what botg is about. botg is about storytelling and roleplay. Any player who uses such lists will be subject to consequences in one way or another. writing such lists is the equivalent of saying "next battle I would prefer to lose".

movement:
movement goes back to common sense, and is not very strict. base speed is 5-7 tiles for units that are not in a hurry, but also not obstructed by obstacles such as mountains and rivers (might have to take a long detour to pass them). for bad terrain or units in a hurry, add movement as you see fit.
What counts is that the movement is fluid and doesn't destroy storytelling.

encounters:

whenever 2 or more players interact with eachother, the players in question are required to meet on IRC or handle the encounter over PMs, e-mail or whatnot, and decide on an outcome.
Please not that for diplomatic actions, you don't have to act out the script word for word. save that for when you write it down in the thread.
In the last installements, many players complained that PM is too slow for acting stuff like that out. That is EXACTLY why you should not act them out word for word. Give your partner a rough scetch of what is being said and how the discussion should go, and then improvise while you write. Stop copypasting.

In military encounters, many players are unable or unwilling to find a proper agreement on the outcome. In case neither side can acknowledge that the other side might have the upperhand, PM me, the GM, and I will tell you who will win.
But in general case, please keep in mind that those who are good enough roleplayers to admit that they can not win this battle, might as well be subject to advantages on future encounters where no solution can be found.
Good roleplay can earn you (minor) favours, so don't just powergame.

artifacts and other powerfullness:

your races had 1000+ years of time to create wonderful things. Therefore it is only fair that each civ can start with a number of what I will refer to as "historicals"
those can range from your average flaming swords, to walking fortresses or tamed dragons. When you have some ideas that you think might be too powerful, PM me about it.
But keep in mind that all of those things are historical. They have earned fame and are fairly well known to your enemies. Ways to cope with them might already be well known. Even a walking fortress will be toppled once the novelty wears off, and a flaming sword is just another weapon.

heroes:
each player has the right to send a reasonable number of especially important and skilled individuals on the board. They can have many godgiven attributes and skills, and in most likeliness the focus of your storytelling and roleplaying will have their focus on them.
Keep in mind that eventhough they might be immortal age-wise, that nothing on the board, including the gods, is unkillable.

divine intervention.

there are gods sitting on the gameboard, watching the civs every move. Of course they are going to meddle with it. May that be just through prophetic dreams, or through climbing unto the board themselves is up to you. Gods are gods afterall, and they can do epic things. But keep in mind that, especially in military encounters, over-using them is quite simply, BORING.
of course you can defeat the enemies army by letting it rain fire, but not only does that alienate the enemy player, who is then forced to also use his god to save his army, but also it ruins the storytelling.
It's about the weak mortals trying to reach almost unreachable goals. They had 1000 years to learn how to act independantly, and they might not appreciate it if their god does the work for them. Neither will the god appreciate it if his civ relies on him like a clingy child.

so before every major DI, please ask me beforehand

the map:

00|⌂▲▲▲⌂●●●●●█████●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
  |⌂▲▲▲⌂⌂≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♣♣.♣♣.....≈≈≈≈
  |⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂.≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.♣♣.♣⌂⌂⌂.....≈≈
  |≈.≈..≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.♣♣♣♣⌂⌂^⌂⌂.....≈
05|≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈..♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂...┌≈
  |≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈──────○▲▲⌂⌂..┌┘≈
  |≈≈≈≈...≈≈≈.≈≈≈≈≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂.┌┘.≈
  |≈≈┐..⌂⌂⌂≈|..≈≈≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲○───┘...
  |♣.|.⌂⌂▲⌂♣|...≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲⌂⌂.....♣
10|♣♣|⌂⌂▲⌂⌂♣|...≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲^▲⌂⌂....♣♣
  |♣♣○⌂▲○───┘...≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲⌂⌂..♣♣♣♣
  |♣♣⌂▲⌂⌂♣♣.....≈..♣♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂...♣♣♣
  |.⌂⌂▲⌂.♣.....≈≈≈┐.♣♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂...♣♣
  |⌂⌂▲⌂⌂♣♣♣♣..≈≈≈≈└─────○▲▲⌂⌂...♣♣♣
15|⌂▲▲▲⌂♣♣♣♣♣≈≈≈≈.......⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂...♣♣
  |⌂▲▲▲⌂♣♣♣♣≈≈≈≈≈≈......⌂⌂^▲⌂○──┘..
  |≈⌂▲▲⌂♣♣♣⌠┌≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.....⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂....
20|⌂⌂▲⌂⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠|⌠≈≈≈⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠|⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂⌂.♣♣♣♣
  |⌂⌂⌂~└┘~└─┘~~.|⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂.....♣♣
  |~~~~~~~~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈⌠⌠⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂...~..
  |~~~~~~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌠┌─○▲▲⌂⌂.~~.~
25|~~~~~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈─┬┘⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂~~~~~
  |~~~~~~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♠♠|⌂⌂▲▲▲○⌂~~~~~
  |~~~~┌──≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♠|⌂⌂▲^▲⌂⌂~~~~~
  |~~~~|~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♠|⌂⌂▲▲▲⌂⌂♠~♠~~
  |⌂⌂⌂~|~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♠└──○▲▲⌂⌂≈≈≈≈≈
30|○───┘~~~~~~~♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂≈≈≈≈

Code: [Select]
^ mountain peak/volcano
▲ mountain
⌂ rocky hills
. plains and grassy hills
~ deserts and sandy dunes
♣ forest
♠ rain forest
╞ dead/burnt forest
○ river source
└─┬┘┌┐ river
≈ water
█ glacier
⌠ swamp
● tundra

░ storm (dependant on terrain type)
═╦╝ tunnel or road
╫ bridge
♥ special place
æ ruins

to join:
your symbol:
we need a symbol for your cities, as well as a symbol for your armies.
Usually, people take a capital letter for cities and a small one for armies. You can however use symbols that are not letters for your cities if you want to. However, armies stay

Your God
describe your god (or gods) in a few lines. how does your civ see him ? how did he see him before the godless age ?

your race:
we need a physical description. where do they live, what do they eat, etc etc

your civ:

race and civ are not the same thing. One race may sport many civilisation (look at humans for example). describe your culture, your politics, generaly they way your people live.

also describe their military and their magic (if any)

(a word on magic: there is NO unified system. I will not listen to anyone who tries to explain how his magic works and will not lsiten to anyone who sais something someone else did would nto work due to the system he uses. Magic is deeply mysterious and not well understood. If your mages have academic explanations, then it is just their approach and not necessarily correct and absolute)

your cities:

territory claims are made when you make your entry. Please try not to claim a too large area, else those who come after you have nothing left to claim.

when a territory is unclaimed, feel free to alter it as you see fit. 1000 years can change a lot. When your race needs a certain biome, create it. No reason to change your civ just because the only swamp on the map is already claimed.

on your claimed territory, place as many cities as you'd like. But please keep in mind that those are cities of importance, gigantic metropoles, often where government and main temples lie, or whatever else is important. Those cities have a populance close to a million (depending on the civ).
it is automaticaly assumed that smaller towns and villages can be found anywhere in your territory, usually along of streets and rivers, no need to place them all on the map and make it unreadable.

your historicals and heroes:
describe them. they are old and mystical, and have a lot of story behind them

your history:

this is something that is left open for now. History always involves interaction with other races, and thus, you can for now only write internal things. international history will be discussed once a few players arrived

if there is anything left that I have missed, please tell me now, afterall these ru8les are a draft, not the finished product

important:

the irc channel is at:
irc://irc.newnet.net#botg
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:19:41 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Gods VI OOC Thread -preparation-
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 07:39:41 am »

Spoiler:  The Tenryuubito (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:01:27 pm by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 07:43:03 am »

I'll be joining again with Danalof. But since this game starts with already-there cities and races, not races that are teleported-in at the start of the game, I'd prefer to atleast know some of the other races that will be present before I join. Thus, I'll wait a bit.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 07:53:46 am »

May I please reserve a position?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 07:59:40 am »

of course you may

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 08:04:21 am »

I claim this territory.
Will write up my race later

It's quite a bit, but my race will not mind much having their land overlap whit others.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 08:07:44 am »

I claim the northern deserts for my people. Whom I have alread assembled a working idea for.

I cannot, for whatever reason, colour any parts of the map! It just comes up with the forum code instead of coloring the map signs.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 08:15:29 am »

we wrap the map in tags, instead of wrapping it in code tags

come unto irc and maybe we can help you if the tags fail you

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 08:21:28 am »

I'll be joining with the Ratew, never got to try them out in BotG IV. I'll write up more stuff on their history/their god later.

0    0    1    1    2     2    3
   0    5    0    5    0     5    0
  |≈≈┐..⌂⌂⌂≈|..≈≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲○───┘...

Large area, but I doubt many sea races will come up.

EDIT:

I've been waiting for this since you mentioned it in another thread a week ago :P
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 08:24:24 am by Emperor_Jonathan »

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 08:27:42 am »

Remember people, as Akroma said, you are allowed to have awesome artifacts. So that I can come 'borrow' them.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 08:35:08 am »

There we go, not too much land taken?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 08:37:34 am by TheNewerMartianEmperor »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 09:50:47 am »

the map:

THat is all the current claims put in, And this also a place holder for a small organisation that I want to play.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 10:13:01 am »

|~~~~~~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈♠|⌂⌂▲▲▲○⌂~~~~~
  |~~~~┌──≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈|⌂⌂▲^▲⌂⌂~~~~~

Seaking Aquatic Nation, fuck yeah!

XD I have 5 land tiles, but that's okay, my cities shall float. >:3

Symbols:
If I can violate the apparent symbol rule for armies a little, I want Alt+14() for cities and Alt+13() for armies. Otherwise, N for cities, n for armies.

I'll edit my writeup in soon.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 10:15:29 am by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 10:21:36 am »

So I checked the IRC channel, nobody's there.

Armok, NewerMartian - I'll be on the IRC channel again later, the 3 of us need to discuss our international dynamics, I think. My nation, in particular, being aquatic, will have great dependency on trade from you guys, at least in its early years.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 10:26:49 am »

Could i have a link to the IRC channel please?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10