Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbie galore  (Read 1333 times)

Freemark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newbie galore
« on: July 25, 2009, 05:25:12 am »

Hi guys, I'm new to DF and I was wondering if I could bother you with a few questions... I swear I've been going through the wiki and tutorials (captnduck you will forever be my hero) like there was no tomorrow, but I still have a few problems while playing that I can't seem to solve :D

So far I have a fortress of about 50 dwarves, everyone seems pretty happy with the life in the mountain and such.
One thing that bugs me tho is the goddamn animals. I made a point of not taking any single animal with the expeditionary team (no dogs or cats, my mistake), but the last wave of migrants brought along a shitload of tame donkeys, cows and bulls. Now I have all of them running around the fortress, shitting in the dining room and making a mess in the already overcrowded statue garden.
The problem, as far as I can figure,  is that all these animals are tamed and have an owner, so I can't order Leatherface the butcher to make chops out of them. For some reason, I also can't get to put them in cages (maybe cause they have an owner?). So I basically dont know what to do!

I would very very much like to be able to somehow make leather out of this animal crowd, because my Mechanic-Trapper-Weaponsmith barricaded himself in the metalsmith workshop and is yelling that he wants tanned hides, and i dont have any tanned hides nor (i think) any means to get any since i only do farming and fishing and never did any hunting :(

One second noobish thing I wanted to ask you is regarding ore and stone. (Mind you, I have had a very hard time figuring out how the whole ore and smelting thing works...)
however the thing is, when I first arrived at my soon-to-be fortress, I started digging up Gneiss and Granite. Digging and digging I found stuff like microcline and other colored stone/ore (I use a tileset, cant remember which one).
Now, if I build things out of stone, for example at the mason's workshop, am I not supposed to be able to build stuff from the colored stone (like microcline), and thus building colored thrones, colored coffins and so on? Because when I try to build stone things I only get Gneiss and Granite, even tho I have tons and tons of colored stone laying around.

That's it for now, thank you in advance for your time :)

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie galore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 05:48:16 am »

Hi!

You should search the forum for multiple ways of execution.You can cause fake cave-ins,drown them,hang them and many others.For the stone you could either:
A)Have a stockpile with only your preffered type of stone near the masons workshop.
B)Dump/forbid the other types of stone.
(I preffer A)

Good luck.

(Also sometimes you might want to look at the stones menu and make sure the needed stone is marked green.)
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Freemark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 06:00:31 am »

ahaha ok so i basically have to figure out some way of killing the animals? ok i'll look around for the quickest way, i really need the leather asap before McGyver starts killing people...

about the stone, i was looking on the wiki and found this, please correct me if i'm wrong: if I make a 1x1 tile of Garbage stockpile (a single tile) near the mason's, i can set it to only accept stone, and after dumping the stone i can reclaim it and it will be stocked in a single tile... is that right?

thank you again

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 06:24:36 am »

ahaha ok so i basically have to figure out some way of killing the animals? ok i'll look around for the quickest way, i really need the leather asap before McGyver starts killing people...

about the stone, i was looking on the wiki and found this, please correct me if i'm wrong: if I make a 1x1 tile of Garbage stockpile (a single tile) near the mason's, i can set it to only accept stone, and after dumping the stone i can reclaim it and it will be stocked in a single tile... is that right?

thank you again

I've never tried it but theoreticaly,it's possible.

You're welcome.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 06:32:10 am »

You need to make sure that all the various stones you want them to use are enabled in the (z) - stone menu. Stuff like microline and orthoclase are not normally enabled. If the stone is listed in green it means it will be available for anything that uses stone. If its listed in red, it means the dorfs are reserving it for specific tasks.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 06:36:34 am »

Lies.Neither microcline OR orthoclase don't start red.

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 06:39:35 am »

They do in my forts. Every time I start a new one. I just started one about an hour ago and Microline and Orthoclase were both red in (z) - stone.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 06:52:18 am »

(a) The sentence construction "neither ... don't" is ambiguous at best, especially for a sentence that is trying to assert truth

and

(b) The MayDay graphics pack recommended in the captnduck tutorials includes the Economic Stone mod, in which every stone starts off as economic

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 06:54:52 am »

(a) The sentence construction "neither ... don't" is ambiguous at best, especially for a sentence that is trying to assert truth

and

(b) The MayDay graphics pack recommended in the captnduck tutorials includes the Economic Stone mod, in which every stone starts off as economic

Well that would explain it for me. I use mayday lol.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 06:59:32 am »

I need that mod.Gettin'.

Freemark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 07:14:05 am »

I think that's the graphic pack I have, I'll check it out in a moment
can i ask one thing about gem encrusting, i am not exactly sure how it works: when I tell my jeweler to encrust, say, furniture... does it work automatically for the next piece of furniture that I produce at the proper furniture-producing shop? Or does the jeweler go around and put gems into previously existing pieces of furniture?

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 07:15:41 am »

I think that's the graphic pack I have, I'll check it out in a moment
can i ask one thing about gem encrusting, i am not exactly sure how it works: when I tell my jeweler to encrust, say, furniture... does it work automatically for the next piece of furniture that I produce at the proper furniture-producing shop? Or does the jeweler go around and put gems into previously existing pieces of furniture?

He'll just run to your furniture stockpile, pick a random piece of furniture, drag it back to the jewelry workshop and put gems on it.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 07:17:00 am »

I think dumping and undumping something near him would help.

Freemark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 08:15:43 am »

aaaaand another thing :D could anyone point out a wikipage which gives some basics about quality offices and quarters for nobles? My expedition leader just turned mayor (weee, gratz Ferguson!) and is making all sorts of demands while i'm busy figuring a way to prevent McGyver the Trapper to throw a tantrum and kill half the fortress population... I can imagine the mayor will be happy with a bigger room, but the one he has now seems big enough and is all smoothed out and engraved, has some furniture in it and its own private dining room (which i've never seen him using) what the hell does the guy want??

EDIT (I THINK I might have saved McGyver... I sent some totally untrained guy on a few hunting missions and he came back with a few animal corpses, and after a couple of WEEKS my two tanners finally found some time between parties at the statue garden and sleeping and eating to make some leather... McGyver has begun his mysterious project and hopefully I won't see him banging his head against a rock wall in the near future)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 08:27:17 am by Freemark »

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 08:27:32 am »

aaaaand another thing :D could anyone point out a wikipage which gives some basics about quality offices and quarters for nobles? My expedition leader just turned mayor (weee, gratz Ferguson!) and is making all sorts of demands while i'm busy figuring a way to prevent McGyver the Trapper to throw a tantrum and kill half the fortress population... I can imagine the mayor will be happy with a bigger room, but the one he has now seems big enough and is all smoothed out and engraved, has some furniture in it and its own private dining room (which i've never seen him using) what the hell does the guy want??

Well there's a page in the wiki about room quality. http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Room_quality
Can also look at the nobles page.
Pages: [1] 2