Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Second Life?  (Read 1671 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Second Life?
« on: July 24, 2009, 09:45:08 pm »

Okay, I got two questions and an idea.

In fact, this should actually go into something Dwarf Fortress related, but that's at the end of this post.

1) How many here have used this (I figured out how it worked, finally....) and who think it's a decent. Thing. I kinda like it actually.

2) Has anyone heard of OpenSimulator (www.opensimulator.org). Basically it's your own server of SL (obviously a smaller scale). Kinda like RPG "free shards".

And the idea:

I) Would it be a good idea to do some sort of community fort thingy in this? Remember that it's not a game. At all (some sort of gameplay can be coded tho. I think, not sure how much scripting the OpenSim supports). Like, making a 3D fortress. All it would take is someone with a decent computer and a permanent-ish computer hosting it. I would do it, but I just had to downgrade my bitrate for money reasons. I might be (mis)underestimating the actual cost of running it, I think there's a fair amount of texture downloading and stuff, but since there's no commercial side of it, some sort of pre-optimizing could be done, like not everybody loading tons of textures but instead using a few preset ones (with full permissions and all that bunk).

Like I said, it's just an idea. It could be a really bad one, so I'd like opinions. I'm sure someone will point that there's already some sort of alternative that's maybe more fun. Also, you can't exactly make underground stuff, but something that LOOKS underground could be done, like using terrain to make thin strips of mountains and covering it up with primitives, like a ceiling.

I think it would be a fun little project like a sandbox. If anyone's used one of those LEGO-whatever online builder thingies, it's not too different, but more flexible. And without jerks that like to demolish other people's creations, which is freakin' hilariourude.

TL;DR: Let's make a Second Life dwarf fortress! Or more to the point, a private server SL-clone dwarf fortress! Weee!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Second Life?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 09:53:16 pm »

...You can create virtual land for free? Wow. This makes Second Life even more of a rip-off.

All I heard about Second Life is the Al-Andalus Caliphate. I should join up with SL and see this caliphate in action, altough, um..er..looking at some of the videos of the Caliphate and their scantly-clad ladies, making me think this Caliphate isn't exactly...othrodox.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:56:40 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:16:53 pm »

...You can create virtual land for free? Wow. This makes Second Life even more of a rip-off.

Well, you have to host it in your own server. And it theoretically costs money to do that (you're paying for the internet and computer and stuff). And you end up with like, maybe a square mile of land that's empty and has like 3 people in it: your brother, your girlfriend and that creepy kid from next door. Pretty much like saying WoW is a ripoff because some people host it and let you play for free in a clone server (with 3 other dudes and maybe no quests except the single one that hosting dude made). And you actually have to build everything from scratch, so good luck having that sports car or super-geeky Naruto costume. It's completely independent from the actual SL servers.

You can also host your own MSN messenger server. It will have zero people registered in it when you do.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:40:21 pm »

Sounds like a task worthy of any Bay12'er. We don't plant the seeds for a better tomorrow. We create the molecules that make up the dirt that the seeds reside in.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 12:00:01 am »

I've tinkered with OpenSim (and the OS Grid) a bit but my biggest deterrence from going further was the lack of built-in physics. Even the most basic stuff, like clipping were disabled in the default build. I didn't bother figuring out how to get it working but it was cool for a while figuring out heightmaps and such.

Edit: I feel a teensy bit silly now, it appears that the OpenDynamicsEngine is a possible variable in the main INI I must have missed, that adds a better physics engine. It also has some more advanced stuff like mechanical joints and axels and so on.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 12:03:44 am by Tilla »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 09:25:42 am »

Well as far as SL (official) physics, all I've seen is just the most basic collision detection and gravity-like effects. I don't know that we could make an actual working axle or lever or mechanism of any sort. Probably it would be more traditional 3D animating than trying to mimic a working device.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 10:52:44 am »

The only thing I've seen in SL is furries and flying weewees.
Shoes...

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 11:04:46 am »

Al-Andalus Caliphate

WUT.

WHY HAVEN'T I TOLD OF THIS.

Seriously, what the hell is happening? A muslim micro nation that is based on the sinful internet?

WUT WUT WUT

(on a related note: Great idea. I'd support the making of the B12 game)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 12:34:48 pm »

Playing second life is like bashing one's head in. Some one tried to integrate maya into a game. It doesn't work.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 12:39:41 pm »

Im a scripter, but I never managed to find any work, so I quit :(
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 02:06:46 pm »

Why not use OsGrid and Hippo instead?

It's better than having a couple people online at a time.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 05:03:32 pm »

I used to play sl but you have to put a lot of money in it to get anywhere.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 05:15:50 pm »

Why not use OsGrid and Hippo instead?

Good question. Give us a good reason why not to use OsGrid or that Hippo thing?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 05:25:10 pm »

IF you become succesful, you can make a lot of money.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 06:40:33 pm »

IF you become succesful, you can make a lot of money.

Heck, you can take out fake money you earned, convert it to real money in paypal or whatever, then use it to buy the stuff that costs real money (like parcels for shops or whatever).

Or at the very least break even and buy a ton of expensive junk and not spend a penny.

It doesn't even cost money to make stuff. There's like a 0.05 dollar fee for uploading textures, but there are some clients that even let you circumvent that.
Pages: [1] 2