Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Start every Adventure Character as a Legendary Pump Operator  (Read 1398 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarf Mode has it's 7 dwarves... why not start adventure mode characters as legendary pump operators for the same sense of style (and coincidentally give players a leg up in the game)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Start every Adventure Character as a Legendary Pump Operator
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 05:16:14 pm »

What?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 05:22:35 pm »

He wants people to be super powered normal people who are pretty much chuck norris
Mayor Bruce Lee bans the export and import of legendary pump operators in adventure mode

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 05:27:19 pm »

eh, why, just to make them stronger?

Why pump operators and not, uh, millers?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 05:28:39 pm »

A divine light appears over chairman poos home...
because its stupid

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 07:03:28 pm »

You could be more polite, Phantom.

I don't think that starting adventurers off as legendary pump operators really makes sense. If you want more points to distribute to skills, that's a different matter. I do think it'd be nice if you could decide which stat-ups you get (from agility, toughness, and strength), but seeing as those stats are going by the wayside soon enough it's not worth worrying about.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 02:41:08 am »

actually, i agree with him. it is pretty stupid. :P

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 08:02:57 am »

actually, i agree with him. it is pretty stupid. :P

QFT
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 11:12:59 am »

Maybe ya'll should do some more thinking about what I actually said and less acting like 12 year olds on a playground.

Granite cancels post:  Critical culture failure

I'm about half joking about actually using legendary pump operator as the skill.  It's a reference to the beginning of Conan.

The serious bit is:  Considering the number of people who consider it SOP to throw sand to legendary throwing and then wrestle groundhogs for three years before going south and swimming the ocean, there may be an issue with underpowered starting characters, and giving them a few 'useless' skills at start in order to order to give them a stat boost or two might allieviate some of the need to grind.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 11:51:21 am by Granite26 »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 12:34:30 pm »

From what I gather, characters will have stat caps so you probably don't need as much exercise to max out.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 06:04:40 pm »

Maybe ya'll should do some more thinking about what I actually said and less acting like 12 year olds on a playground.

Granite cancels post:  Critical culture failure

I'm about half joking about actually using legendary pump operator as the skill.  It's a reference to the beginning of Conan.

The serious bit is:  Considering the number of people who consider it SOP to throw sand to legendary throwing and then wrestle groundhogs for three years before going south and swimming the ocean, there may be an issue with underpowered starting characters, and giving them a few 'useless' skills at start in order to order to give them a stat boost or two might allieviate some of the need to grind.

But your first post gramatically made no frickin' sense at all, then you call us 12 year old failures of culture because we cant decipher your grammar fail.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 06:09:39 pm »

And seriously, LEGENDARY?!Im already pissed off enough that a thrown pebble can kill a bloody Legendary swordsman wearing a full set of masterwork adamantine armor!!!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 06:54:47 pm »

Why should new adventure characters get 'a leg up' when all there is to do is fight stuff and gradually get stronger?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 08:10:46 pm »

Why should new adventure characters get 'a leg up' when all there is to do is fight stuff and gradually get stronger?

For the reason I mentioned:  Everytime I've seen a story about a successful character or guide to play, it starts with doing useless and unfun grindy training exercises like throwing rocks at the wall, sneaking back and forth in town or swimming around for hours.  That, or modding in a 6 armed no-organ character...

Until a broad level of challenges is added, it wouldn't hurt to bump character stats up a bit.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 10:18:12 pm »

Until a broad level of challenges is added, it wouldn't hurt to bump character stats up a bit.

whats the point of making someone start as a legendary in a skill? just about the whole idea of legendary pretty much means that you are highly skilled, to the point of being a legend. IE: so rare, your famous for it. if every adventurer started as legendary, then it wouldnt be very rare, now would it? then it would be considered 'normal' to be 'legendary' and that just makes no friggen sense.

secondly, it would kill the storytelling/roleplaying value. not a key part of the game i know, but still. after all, think of all the books you have read, movies you have seen, or legends you've head. did any of the heroes start out as some sort of god-mode freak in the very begining? nope. they had to go on a big quest/train for ages/visit the wise-but-creepy oracle/whatever. the point remains, it takes a while and a good bit of challanges to be considered legendary in something. when you go around for a while throwing  shit at everything (or other such stuff), thats your 'training'. if you get bored with it, that means your spending too much time on it. go fight some idiots elves for a while.
Pages: [1] 2