Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I get rid of a "friendly" orc?  (Read 1768 times)

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I get rid of a "friendly" orc?
« on: July 24, 2009, 03:01:54 pm »

As some may have read, I reclaimed my current fortress at least twice, first time after an orc invasion slaughtered all my 14 dwarves. Anyway, this has given me an unique problem. When I reclaimed the fortress, there were only a couple of orcs left on map. Both with a friendly-tag. I left the orcs alone, thinking they would pose no threat or cause any problems.

Well, my location is a pit akward trading-wise, because only caravan that arrives is from dwarves. No humans or elves are anywhere to be found. A caravan from dwarves arrived just now, but then the Ushangkêshshak Allas Ittás, "Monstroussweltered the Sea of Tenderness", Orc Carver, and his 2 orc wrestler buddies charged the caravan and drove it away. These 3 orcs need to die, but I don't know how.

How do I dispose a bunch of friendly-tagged creatures that I can't control? In this case, those 3 orcs.

Is the only way to kill them to drop something heavy on them?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 03:04:57 pm by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get rid of a "friendly" orc?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 03:17:19 pm »

Update:
I hopefully figured out a temporary solution: I dug a channel under each of them, dropping them into pits. Hopefully that will keep them from ambushing any more caravans. But I still need a way to get permanently rid of them.

Drop them into a 10 Z-levels deep pit? I'd rather not ruin a perfectly good map with such things unless absolutely neccessary :(
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:34:30 pm »

Magma.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 04:03:40 pm »

I think the easiest solution would be using them as siege weapon target practice. Magma is the classic solution (to everything); or water if you have no magma. You could also build a construction over their pit and cause it to fall on top of them. Traps might work even if they're friendly.

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 06:05:17 pm »

Magma.
The solution is always magma.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 06:38:35 pm »

Thank you for the ideas!

I decided however to seal the pits permanently by building floor tiles over them. At least until I can re-route some liquid substance into them ;D

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 07:15:00 pm »

Thank you for the ideas!

I decided however to seal the pits permanently by building floor tiles over them. At least until I can re-route some liquid substance into them ;D
Collapse trap?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 09:01:13 pm »

Thank you for the ideas!

Collapse trap?

Do constructed floors kill with cave-ins, though? Those are what I usually use for controlled cave-ins for punching through Z-levels.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 10:18:48 pm »

I'm fairly sure that any cave-in will kill whatever is underneath it. Only rock cave-ins will cause new stone to form at the bottom though, tried that to dam a river I made and it didn't work (was crippling my fps).

I'd still go with magma though.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 10:37:24 pm »

Just get sieged,you'll get a loyalty cascade but the side that wins will try to kill you anyways.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 05:08:57 am »

Cage traps sound fun.

Why do you want to kill them? Make an underground labyrinth for them. When an invader comes, your wrestlers knock them down into the labyrinth, where they fight the orcs (or become good friends with them).
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 10:22:50 pm »

How about designate their little pits as ponds, then laugh as dwarves slowly drown them with bucket after bucket of water?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 12:42:36 am »

Cage traps sound fun.
Yes, then you can set them up in your dining rooms as screaming decorations.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 10:03:03 am »

If they dont walk a lot and stand close together you could do the same thing I do when having a surfaced magma-pipe close to my embark location. Completely channel around them. then they are locked in that specific location and they won't run after your caravan.

Btw. won't they get "evil" again as soon as the first wave of their kinsman attack?
That seems to be the way with goblins.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 07:16:56 pm »

Before I could execute the "build floor and drop it on them" -plan, a new orc siege arrived. The pitted orcs turned hostile. Problem solved. Thanks for all tips anyway!
Pages: [1] 2