Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I guess asking wont hurt...  (Read 3323 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: I guess asking wont hurt...
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 10:59:56 pm »

Sorry, I feel stupid now, bookmarked and in the case of the short stories RSSed.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 11:04:25 pm »

I can fulfill most of criteria in the first part of your request, but the story I'm about to link is completely devoid of mechanical intelligence. It's not especially hard sci-fi either, but it's well-written, involving, and more complex than it first seems. I wouldn't know what genre to put it in.

It's also quite short.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 03:19:16 am »

The original Blade Runner book (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?) fills quite a few requirements but isn't free.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 10:33:16 am »

Hal checked his data banks again, 'no, she's definately gone'. 'Cheer up mate', said the human captain, 'what do you want from a fucking computer that you can't get from us?'. 'It's illogical I know, excuse me though, I have to defrag some shit'. 'That's  odd', the captain thought, 'he's programmed not to swear'/

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 11:32:15 am »

Hal checked his data banks again, 'no, she's definately gone'. 'Cheer up mate', said the human captain, 'what do you want from a fucking computer that you can't get from us?'. 'It's illogical I know, excuse me though, I have to defrag some shit'. 'That's  odd', the captain thought, 'he's programmed not to swear'/

Dave says "Open the pod bay doors HAL!"
HAL says, "I can't do that Dave."

(I name all my computer HAL - #000)

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 11:35:58 am »

Have you read asimovs "The Last Question?"

The last question was asked for the first time, half in jest, on May 21, 2061...

http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html

That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 11:39:56 am »

* realistic nonhuman psychology.
* Protagonist being artificial, like genetically engineered or AI (a character whit a human used as a base or whit a human brain dosn't count), humanity being antagonistic.
* at least one character whit a mayor role being digital, and good, but very far from human.

:I

Cyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2009, 12:40:02 pm »

If you read Sci-fi I can't imagine you haven't read (or tried to read) the Dune series already, but just in case; I found it awesome. It isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it's close enough really.

Something less well-known, Deus Irae. Again, it doesn't fit perfectly. It's the result of a long collaboration between Zelazny and Philip K. Dick. Seeing what you want, I think you'd enjoy it. (Actually, the wiki page has a "plot introduction" that's full of spoilers, so I linked to the Philip K Dick website instead. Maybe someone who read it can write a nice introduction and point out the book's strengths ?)

A long time ago, I read a book written by Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress. I was young at the time so I read it in french and I honestly don't remember much from it, except that I found it good. So just check out the wikipedia page.

Also, The Chronicles of Amber. I can't think of a series or book I liked more than I liked this one, be it fantasy or scifi.

(The authors are all dead now.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 12:52:06 pm by Cyx »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2009, 01:44:25 pm »

Lots of book tips and no sequential art or animation?
I read The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress long ago and loved it, the others I'll try to remember to read sometime.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2009, 05:28:00 pm »

Have you read Hyperion by Dan Simmons? It doesn't fulfil all the criteria, but from the general them of them I conclude you'd like this book.

Another recommendation is Uplift series by David Brin. It starts kind of weak, but it really picks up later on.

But overall, the hard part about your requests is the human bad guys / others good guys part. I haven't read many books like that.

And yeah, I know these aren't free books, but libraries tend to be quite cheap.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2009, 11:41:44 pm »

I've read most of the uplift series, and was a fan for a while, but the books are not really as hard scifi as they'd like you to belive.
I've read http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html
 to.

Really, I have enought book tips alredy what Iäd really like is some animation, or just more webcomics.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 03:55:50 am »

Emm...
Anime is hard to make, so experimental anime are hard to come by.

However, I think making manga is REALLY easier than making anime, so you'll probably cross some

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 05:53:20 am »

Ok, I just read The Empire of Ice Cream and, wow, that is FANTASTIC, one of the bast things I have ever read, and I might reveal as much as that it has deep personal relevance to me, althou I will not reveal how.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 07:03:19 pm »

Dude, CoA hardly mets anything like what is described above.
Yeah but it's good
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 04:59:10 am »

Something less well-known, Deus Irae.
I think my father has a copy of that. He's got a big collection of Sci-FI books from I think about 20 to 40 years ago, but I'm not sure.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig
Pages: 1 [2] 3