Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Gabe Newell on Fan-Funded Game Development  (Read 4739 times)

Malenfant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gabe Newell on Fan-Funded Game Development
« on: July 24, 2009, 10:58:10 am »

Here is Gabe Newell (boss of Valve, makers of Half Life and Steam among others) talking about game funding:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/07/valve-predicts-fan-funded-game-development-future/

So this is different to the donations that currently support Dwarf Fortress and more similar to the way Indie films are made. An example of this kind of system would be that Toady puts forward a business plan that would say something like:

"Dwarf Fortress 1.0 will have features X through Y and be released after Z years development. It will require a staff of X fulltime developers/other for a total cost of $xxxx. I will split this cost into 1000 shares to be sold at $xxx per share, once all are sold the project will commence".

If DF makes money you get a cut, if not you're out of pocket but you can put your nose in the air a call yourself a "Patron of the arts" ;)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Gabe Newell on Fan-Funded Game Development
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 11:24:46 am »

There's...  There's nothing notable in this.  He's describing publicly funded small business.  That's all.

You present a business plan to public perusal, hope you attract some investment capital but retain all responsibility and control as owner, and are contractually bound to deliver a dividend if you turn a profit.  Business 101.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Malenfant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 02:02:42 pm »

You're right, it's not a "new type of business", it's as you say, Business 101. Newell isn't pointing out anything ground breaking, rather he's pointing out something that just isn't really been done much in the computer game industry. It works for film, works for theater, no reason fan sourced investment wouldn't work for games.

Anthony Burch on Destructoid has just had a little rant that briefly covers Newells comments.
http://www.destructoid.com/rev-rant-donate-141041.phtml
As Burch rightly points out people are saying it wouldn't work but aren't saying why.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:04:18 pm by Malenfant »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 02:31:38 pm »

no reason fan sourced investment wouldn't work for games.

It's an immature industry whose primary consumers have more free time than disposable income, and unlike a film, you can't judge the quality beforehand.

To expound:  A film requires a script, which is about half of the creative (variable) content in a film.  Programming a game requires a lot longer than filming, and is more likely to fail due to feature bloat or bad programmers.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 05:53:34 pm »

A design document substitutes for a script.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 05:54:53 pm »

To expound:  A film requires a script, which is about half of the creative (variable) content in a film.  Programming a game requires a lot longer than filming, and is more likely to fail due to feature bloat or bad programmers.

So does a game. You don't just sit down and go 'okay well I guess we should get started' and start programming the game with no idea where it's going.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 08:11:34 pm »

This sounds like a plan to buy out Dwarf Fortress.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 08:19:04 pm »

This was how Mount&blade got funded and made. That worked pretty well.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 08:19:39 pm »

A design document substitutes for a script.
So does a game. You don't just sit down and go 'okay well I guess we should get started' and start programming the game with no idea where it's going.

I don't think it does...  Or rather, a design document of sufficient level doesn't get written for 99.9% of all games written.  It is my opinion that you can judge the quality of a movie by it's script better than you can judge a game by the quality of the design documents that get written.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 08:39:23 pm »

As much as I would love DF going in this direction, where I would buy 51% of the stock, Toady won't really do this.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 12:09:53 am »

As much as I would love DF going in this direction, where I would buy 51% of the stock, Toady won't really do this.

This is why i said it seems like a plan to buy out DF.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 01:19:10 am »

This was how Mount&blade got funded and made. That worked pretty well.

No, it isn't. It was a part time project that was offered for sale before it was complete. Not a public funded company.
Magma is overrated.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 01:51:21 am »

Here is Gabe Newell (boss of Valve, makers of Half Life and Steam among others) talking about game funding:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/07/valve-predicts-fan-funded-game-development-future/

So this is different to the donations that currently support Dwarf Fortress and more similar to the way Indie films are made. An example of this kind of system would be that Toady puts forward a business plan that would say something like:

"Dwarf Fortress 1.0 will have features X through Y and be released after Z years development. It will require a staff of X fulltime developers/other for a total cost of $xxxx. I will split this cost into 1000 shares to be sold at $xxx per share, once all are sold the project will commence".

If DF makes money you get a cut, if not you're out of pocket but you can put your nose in the air a call yourself a "Patron of the arts" ;)

How about I just donate money and leave development to the actual professionals like Toady, who know how to make games and know what is reasonable.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 04:29:48 am »

Looking at Valve's track record the way I see it, it sounds like an attempt to just buy out other games (As has been suggested before).

Not to mention that, as mentioned in the comments in the source link, the idea is pretty much stolen from existing developers and parroted by everyone's favorite fat man so he can gain the reputation for it.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 12:45:41 pm »

Toady has a roughly 15-20k/yr deal coming in. Sometimes more, even.

Why does this have to change? Does it have to change?

Yes, I know that mainstream gaming sucks the nuts right about now, but adding more unproven, untested concepts in there will either slightly improve it, or completely destroy it.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!
Pages: [1] 2 3