Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Preventing the exseedus  (Read 1649 times)

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Preventing the exseedus
« on: July 24, 2009, 06:07:41 am »

In my current fortress, the dining room is located far away from the farms. Haulers bring food and drink barrels into the stockpile, so the dwarves just come in, take some food and eat it there. The problem is what happens afterwards- Dwarves that ate some kind of plant take the seed and go all the way to the farms just to put it in the seed pile. I tried putting a seed stockpile in the middle of the room, but haulers fill it with seeds from the farm, so diners still have to go to the farm to dump the seeds.

What can I do to improve this?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preventing the exseedus
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 06:16:48 am »

Nice pun on exodus, I thought you had mispelled it for a moment there.

As for your problem, have you made sure that seeds are forbidden from other food stockpiles that you don't want the food stored in? That's about the only thing I can think of as my farms/food pile usually isn't real far from the dining hall.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 08:16:40 am »

Well, to fix that go to your farm seed stockpile and select 'take from pile' then put it on your dining room stockpile. In theory this should work.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 10:00:28 am »

For future forts you may want to keep food production close to the dining hall to improve efficiency. You can use Z levels to do this.

But there really isn't all that much you can do. You can disable seeds from the food stockpile at the farm so they are only stored near the dining room, but this means your farmers will have to do all the walking now.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 10:21:48 am »

I have this problem with my main fort as it was designed before I knew this would be a problem.  It seems I either need to choose the farmers going all the way to the plant processing area or the threshers and brewers going all the way to the farm to move each seed. 

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 11:22:52 am »

You could turn off the "food hauling" task for all but a few designated waiters, and then they'll bring the dinner and bus the tables without anyone else having to put off important work to do it.
I brake for stumble bumblings

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 12:19:06 pm »

In my case, food is my main industry (cooked food, cheese, and booze).  So I've got a lot of food haulers  ;D

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 02:11:15 pm »

Why do you have hauling enabled for non-haulers?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 04:20:30 pm »

The simple solution is to not have your dwarves eat food that generates seeds. No plump helmets, no strawberries. Have them only eat cooked meals and you won't have this hauling problem -- and the dwarves'll be happier, to boot. You can still make the edible-raw plants, but brew them instead of making them available for munching.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 05:49:58 pm »

The seeds are produced at the kitchen for meals, not at the table, right?  I sure with there was a column in the kitchen screen for "eat" in addition to the columns for "brew" and "cook".

I tried keeping my "raw" food on one end of the fort and my prepared meals at the other, by the dining room, but it didn't seem to work.  Looked to me like they go for the closest food at the moment they decide to eat, rather than the food closest to the eating location.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 09:53:02 am »

The seeds are produced at the kitchen for meals, not at the table, right? 
IIRC cooking destroys seeds. If you -for instance- plant sweet pods and process them to barrels into dwarven syrup, you get the seeds generated at the farmers workshop. If you brew the plants you get them generated at the still. If plants are eaten raw, seeds are generated wherever that happens.

But cooking means no seeds.

Oh and btw, I nearly forgot to sing!
EXSEEDUS
movement of farm people!

Freemark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 10:44:53 am »

uhm i was wondering, i just noticed that suddenly my dining room is getting full of various kind of seeds. This is kinda strange, because the food stockpile is very close to the dining room (and the farms too), and anyway up until a short time ago all the seeds and food were being stacked normally in the food stockpile. Am I having the same problem as the thread opener? I don't understand why my dwarves are leaving seeds in the dining all

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 10:51:51 am »

Is the food stockpile full of seeds that aren't in barrels? You probably need to make some bags, and perhaps set aside a stockpile for seeds only. You can get alot of seeds pretty quick through brewing activities and eating.

It's also possible that the haulers are busy doing something else or there are so many seeds that the ones in the dining room are backlogged.

Freemark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 10:56:19 am »

Yes the seeds in the stockpiles are not in any bags, because I dont know how to make bags (sorry, real newb here), however there is still plenty of space in food stockpile
the haulers are definitely busy, however ALL of my dwarf population is set as food haulers, they usually move foodstuffs very quickly and efficiently (well, until these seeds) so I never bothered switching that off

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 11:48:56 am »

I always set up my food factory like this:

[dinning room]
[workshops][stockpile][farms]
                [farms]

They all need to interact with the stockpile at the start of their jobs, extra points if the only way in is through a Z level in the stockpile.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 11:50:44 am by buman »
Pages: [1] 2