Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BBW tileset [WIP]  (Read 3908 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
BBW tileset [WIP]
« on: July 24, 2009, 05:45:18 am »

"Basic,Black&White"

I want to develop this into a graphical tileset to unite those "fancy pixels haters" and "graphics whores". Don't take these words seriously, I don't want to miff anyone :D.

Anyway I thought that it would be nice to have a stylish not-so-fancy graphics mod here.

I've just got an idea and did just a few sprites, but I want to hear from you, do you want something like this? Basically professions will stay color-coded (single color) and creatures will be single-colored as well (white for neutral, red for dangerous, gold for megabeasts etc.) but they will be represented by a sprite instead of a letter.

Example: animals

Example: monsters (harpy, antman, troglodyte)

Example: dwarves (grower, hammerdwarf)

What do you think, is it worth of an effort? It's a lot of work :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:41:33 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BBW tileset [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:31:31 am »

Brilliant idea. Will you just change the border colour or something to indicate zombie and skeletal versions?
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 07:40:22 am »

Well, I just plan skeleton and zombie tiles. I don't want to be confused by a zombie and to let it inside :D.

As I told, I plan full graphics support, just with single-color approach.

P.S. If something is wrong about those tiles, just tell me. I'm currently at work so I have MS Paint only. When I come home I'll launch Photoshop, it's much easier to draw in it :).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:43:31 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 02:58:29 pm »

Aww I was thinking you were going to make a big beautiful women tileset...

Seriously though, I think a minimalist colored tileset would look really nice. I'd give it a go for sure. But you probably don't need to make one of everything to start out. Take smaller chunks and see what people like/dislike.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 03:31:44 pm »

oooo, i like the look of those a lot.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 03:52:51 pm »

I like the animals a lot, the dwarf and beast ones I find a little hard to 'read' though.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 04:11:02 pm »

I honestly think simplistic tilesets are the way to go, because you can represent something in a manner that's easy to recognize (like most tilesets), but you don't impose too much of a specific view of what they look like (UNlike most tilesets). It's the same advantage that ASCII offers, really: Representing things clearly while leaving the details up to imagination. Pictograms, basically.

This seems to be, intentionally or not, what you're going for here, and I like it.

My only issue so far is that the creature graphics are a bit hard to make out, particularly the monsters and dwarves, although it's hard to judge outside the context of the full tileset.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:35:47 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 05:39:21 pm »

One way to take the zombified versions of the animals would be to give them a green tint, thus saving on drawing time. Skeletal versions should probably still have their own tile.

That said, this looks like a great idea, I'm all for readable tiles.
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 05:53:15 pm »

Oooh, I actually like this, and I'm a big ASCII guy. It's actually easy to identify what the tiles would represent because the silhouettes are quite clear.

I like the animals, but I'm not too hot on the dwarves. Adding details to the dwarves seems to make them fuzzy and harder to identify. I think pure silhouettes, along with a clear indication of the tool they're using, would be better.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 09:55:29 pm »

Yeah, the animals look fantastic, but the beasts and dwarves are not as easy to read.

BUT, this is a great start to a very good idea.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 02:36:58 am »

Well, I am not sure about dwarves and beasts myself. I'll try to find out something more distinct. Probably there's no need in different pictures for professions as long as we use colors.

I am pretty happy how the troglodyte came out, it looks clearly as a caveman. However harpy and definitely antman are a bit unclear >.<
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 10:37:01 am »

How about these for civilian and military dwarves?

Humans:

Elves:

(about military elf: I imagine elven wooden armor to have various branches and roots sticking out, because they "shape" the wood since they don't kill it, also it helps them to hide in the forest)

P.S. This type of tileset should be good for perfomance too, since it can use a single tile for all dwarves (and not multiple like in most sets) and the game will color white by professions by the engine, it's good because the more tiles are loaded, the lower is framerate. It's not a major impact, but it happens.

P.P.S. Probably I should make a separate tile for nobles, eh? Just a bit different, to separate those pests from civillians (even though they are color-coded) :D.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 11:23:02 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 12:43:00 pm »

Walking bullseyes maybe for the nobles? Or sponges or kindling, depending on how you kill the majority of them.  :P
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 01:14:12 am »

I like this a lot. I've only ever played with ASCII, but this should leave about as much to the imagination while being easier to recognize without having to loo'k' to show what kind of 'g' is approaching your dwarves.

I like your second version of dwarves and other sentient races. Keep it up. =D
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 01:25:40 am »

Hrm.

I like the humans and elves, not so much the dwarves.

You might consider just making them faces, ala the default ASCII.  Might be the ticket for good readability and simplicity.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.
Pages: [1] 2