Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: I hate being That Guy  (Read 7393 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: I hate being That Guy
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 11:47:07 am »

Depending on many factors, such as how I'm sitting, how close I am to the TV, how I'm feeling, and lots of other stuff that shouldn't matter, I can either be That Guy or The Guy that's Embarrassing Himself.  Sometimes I'll take out the entire enemy team in Gears of War 2 by myself, and sometimes I can't seem to get a single kill.
Shoes...

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 01:51:59 pm »

This is one of the advantages of having a twin: always a worthy opponite.

although he is a bit of a sore loser sometimes.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 03:12:03 pm »

I am only That Guy for the fighting genre. Occasionally, on other peoples systems, with fighting games I've never played before (I'm looking at you Brawl, Tekken games). FPS games I will always be embarrassingly bad at, for some reason. Or, actually, it may have to do with all my friends being That Guy for FPS games, all at once.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:49:25 pm by kinseti »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 03:14:22 pm »

I dislike shooters, my reflexes are HORRENDOUSLY dull. I might be willing to get past the initial difficulty if all other players didn't seem to feel the need to humiliate me by killing me in the most obtuse manner possible, then desecrating my virtual body.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 03:26:38 pm »

A great way to deter desecration/tea bagging is to make the animation look like you are going down on the dead instead.

Like in Monster Hunter... some random person tried to tea bag a dead kut-ku.   :P
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 03:33:51 pm »

You can't crouch whenever in Gears of War 2, so instead they pick the guy up and use him as a meatshield, then ram him into the wall repeatedly.

Fighting games are always irritating when someone's That Guy.  I was like that with Mortal Kombat 4.  I'd always play as Scorpion and I knew all his moves.  No one could touch me, and my family got mad.
Shoes...

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 03:47:26 pm »

I've graduated from hard-core gamer to casual gamer with killer instinct, so I know what you're talking about.  I've got a bad habit of picking up games and with a few minutes of familiarization owning up on everybody.  (Not pros, but other casual players). 

I've found that the best solution is to own it, play casual, lose occasionally, reduce reflexes (drink), and don't play for long.  It's much more satisfying to me to see my friends enjoying themselves than it is for me to ground them to a pulp.  Just play every once in a while to improve their equilibrium play.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 04:33:30 pm »

Oddly enough, I am always unlucky when it comes to FPS games. No amount of skill can really effect it. Like a scouts ball from TF2 going all the way across the battlefield to hit me as I leave the spawn and leave me stunned for a good minute. Or enemies popping up in an area I just cleared or deemed safe. Or turning the corner of some hall the second I look away from it. Or a crashing vehicle going out of control driving off a ramp and crushing me. Or sneaking up on somebody only to have them turn around, ignore all the similar-looking companions, and choose me as the spy among them. Somehow. Or lag causing somebody to teleport behind me.

I suppose without this cure some FPS-playing shaman gave to me, I would be decent. As it stands, I can never be That Guy at FPSs.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 04:42:31 pm »

Man, I suck at TF2.  Most kills in a row I've ever got were 3, as a spy, when I did some random knifing (I wasn't even disguised for the second two kills, and the last one was against an undisguised enemy spy).

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 07:42:31 pm »

In fighting games, I generally suck a lot.

Except in Tekkan Tag and Naruto Ninja Storm and all the other PlayStation versions of Naruto...

In those, I like to play random characters.  Its kind of a handicap... partially.  Where is the fun in playing the same 1-3 characters with the same uber support/set-up...  just to optimize arse-kicking? 

Albeit, I find that I stagnate in ability, if I keep playing the same character/set-up...  no staying power...  So yea, its both to keep my game up and handicap myself.  Pretty much, no matter who I play as, I can give people a run for their money...  fun is to be had there.

'True Ninja Battle' as my friend likes to coin em are the best kind of fights in Naruto...  I love using explosions to cover my offensive...  its got some good fast-paced tactical elements... in player v player.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:06:57 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 11:11:48 pm »

Rent a game neither of you has tried before. Hell, go to the game-renting place as a team and pick one out together. You'll probably be more comfortable with the controls, but you will both be new at this one.

Alternatively, play games on modes you usually don't. For instance: just why the hell does everyone play Halo on just Slayer? Mix it up with some of the weirder multiplayer games! The one with the skull is my favorite, but blast me if I can't remember it's name.  :P

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 11:55:22 pm »

non-Slayer Halo? HERETIC! I recall one night I was playing one of the non-Slayer games, one with big teams. I don't have many Halo-playing friends, but this night I ended up with a bunch who knew what they were doing, I was the odd man out, actually, but I was still able to contribute. CTF with I think it was 16 players? Quite possibly the most fun I've ever had in an online game. (No, I don't do a lot of online gaming.)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 11:57:54 pm »

Rent a game neither of you has tried before. Hell, go to the game-renting place as a team and pick one out together. You'll probably be more comfortable with the controls, but you will both be new at this one.

Alternatively, play games on modes you usually don't. For instance: just why the hell does everyone play Halo on just Slayer? Mix it up with some of the weirder multiplayer games! The one with the skull is my favorite, but blast me if I can't remember it's name.  :P
Halo 1.
 Smallest map.
 Free for all.
 Rockets only.

Only way to play Halo.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Singularity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2009, 12:20:12 am »

Halo 1.
 Smallest map.
 Free for all.
 Rockets only.

Only way to play Halo.
FINAL DESTINA--*shot*

On a more on-topic note... I'm pretty atrocious at any and all competitive multiplayer video games.  Which means I don't play them that much.  Which means I'm even more atrocious when I DO play them.  I think I see a pattern here. :P  Oh well.  I never was a competitive one, which might explain why I don't "get" MMOs, either... To each their own.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2009, 10:16:15 am »

if you p[lay like you mean it, they'll see the good shit in the wii, and probably buy one and woop you fucking arse
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7