Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: I hate being That Guy  (Read 7374 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
I hate being That Guy
« on: July 24, 2009, 02:29:39 am »

No, this isn't about that game.

This is about how, there are people who regardless of their intentions, become That Guy (coined by Zero Punctuation) in games. I own a Wii, the only gaming console in my household other than PCs. In fact, out of my entire social clique, I'm probably the only one with a dedicated gaming console that gets used regularly.

You know what this means right? When people come and play my Wii, I will always be better than them no matter what. It's not my fault. I don't actively play to become better than everyone else. It's just a natural thing that comes from playing games. However, it also means you dominate everyone who plays with you... and that's not good for long term fun. Even more so when your friends consider Facebook applications to be games.

So, whenever people come over, I have to limit myself into not playing with them too much or have to purposely play like a dumbass. Which sucks for everyone. Gah, I hate being That Guy.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I hate being That Guy
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 02:38:51 am »

I have never had that problem... I am in a similar situation to you except nearly completely opposite. For some reason I am terrible at playing any game. Real life sports, console games, PC games, different genres, it makes no difference I always lose (or come last in my team). People who hardly ever play PC FPS come here and play versus me on LAN. And I ALWAYS lose. Well I suppose they have the good reactions from playing so much Halo, but still, It makes me feel so useless. The only thing I can think of is having an excruciatingly, slow reaction speed.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 02:46:18 am »

Maybe it's because you try to think too much before doing things? Usually when it comes to game, not thinking wins out over thinking.  :-\

Just turn off your brain and I think you will do a lot better, if that's possible.

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 03:00:48 am »

I dunno man, smashing a bunch of beer drinking halo players can be pretty satisfying, even if they do throw crap at you afterward.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 03:07:42 am »

For you maybe. But they're not going to come back and play later on if you keep doing that.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 04:10:10 am »

Eh, my friend likes giving handicaps to me when we play games he's better at, and I sometimes return to favour.  For instance, he used to try and beat me in Halo without using any weapons.

He still won quite a bit.  Now I've been at least upgraded to "He won't try to snipe me off from the other side of the map".

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 05:52:36 am »

Yeah, handicaps.
DoTA - play heroes who are "impossible" to win with.
FPS games - play with a lower powered weapon (pistols, melee weapons)
RTS games - most have built in handicap options; playing at 500% handicap will at least give you a horde to fight against
Sports games - play with a weak team

Maybe it's because you try to think too much before doing things? Usually when it comes to game, not thinking wins out over thinking.  :-\

Just turn off your brain and I think you will do a lot better, if that's possible.

Lol, you have to play long enough for it to be built into your reflexes. And play at a difficult enough level to increase your reaction speed. I have a ridiculously slow reaction speed too.. that's sort of why I focus on strategy. But Halo, Guitar Hero, etc.. all of them come from playing long and often enough for your brain to program them as reflexes.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 06:34:34 am »

Playing a number of (partly quite difficult) platformers really helped me in that area. But still, in FPS games my aim is terrible, so skills gained in one area are only for that one area. Probably. This may be because in that specific FPS there's a shitload of speed involved and my reflexes aren't the best.

Of course, playing that much platformers of one type has side-effects, like trying to dash-jump in Maple Story. :P
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 08:03:13 am »

I lived for a while in a flat where we would all play halo, and then have consistently enough people coming around most nights for at least 8 player games.

After I left the flat I would still come and visit and play games with the rest of them, but without playing halo for ages I would get my ass whooped by them.

In saying that though I would play against friends who liked halo but didn't or couldn't play it all the time and I would still whoop their ass with my rusty halo skills.

The moral of the story: Get a flat with some other people and all start playing the game at the same time so that way you'll be just as good as each other.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 09:04:49 am »

I have a friend who is so much That Guy from Yahtzee's description, that he stopped watching Zero Punctuation after that.  He likes anime too much.  He has a set of cat-ears.  And yes, his game of choice is Guitar Hero.  He was unemployed for a couple months and literally spent the equivalent time just playing the crap out of stuff.  He can reliably 90% Buckethead on Expert with every instrument.

Conversely, I lack Guitar Hero and any natural sense of rhythm.  When we get together, he rocks out the solos while I strum along as his Jazz Accompaniment with my three-string bass.  If Guitar Hero had a tambourine or a washboard, that would be my level of capability.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 09:16:06 am »

I have a PS2 sitting on my desk, with FF12 in it, with a nearly finished saved game.

That I can't play.

Why?

'cause, the game itself is my sisters, and she HATES it if I get ahead of her, even when she doesn't play for months at a time.  She also loathes the fact that I can play much, much faster than her, because I spent whole days leveling, while she runs from all possible battles and gets sodomized by the bosses.

God of War 2?  She beat in 2-3 days.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 09:56:46 am »

I've become that guy in the Nethack thread in Other games. I can't say I'm proud of it, seeing as how I've pretty much trumped everyone else's accomplishments threefold...

On a related note:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:06:44 am by chaoticjosh »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 10:05:12 am »

Alas, I only become That Guy when it comes to board games and card games of any sort. I notice I will win and try to make a chance for the other guy to win. But this just makes the game longer and no fun, so in the end we just say 'screw it' and try to finish as quickly as possible.

Videogames? I never really have people over, and my brother can reliably be that little bit better than me at most games. That is, except for Tactics Games. There I kick his butt.

Online? I do decently, but more often than not I have bad days where nothing goes right.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 10:37:28 am »

I'm That Guy at monopoly.
I owned the board.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 11:42:58 am »

Play poker. It's pretty damn tough to look like a pro in poker :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7