Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: You have struck Microcline!  (Read 10880 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: You have struck Microcline!
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2009, 01:56:56 am »

For me, it's not a dislike of microline itself as were it crops up. If it only appeared 5+ z-levels down like Olivine does, I wouldn't mind it all all. However, I like my fortress to look relatively uniform, and having splotches of yellow and blue amist the grey doesn't work for me.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2009, 09:46:31 am »

For me, it's not a dislike of microline itself as were it crops up. If it only appeared 5+ z-levels down like Olivine does, I wouldn't mind it all all. However, I like my fortress to look relatively uniform, and having splotches of yellow and blue amist the grey doesn't work for me.

Congratulation, you now have something to do with the loads of rock you dig up while finding ore, make blocks and build floors and walls where the microcline used to be.

Sell all microcline to the traders, or even just give it away.

edit: And I just like having more colours for my megaprojects, I just like to make organised floors/walls in special colours for some places.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2009, 10:01:36 am »

Congratulation, you now have something to do with the loads of rock you dig up while finding ore, make blocks and build floors and walls where the microcline used to be.

Sell all microcline to the traders, or even just give it away.

edit: And I just like having more colours for my megaprojects, I just like to make organised floors/walls in special colours for some places.
Or just mod out every type of rock that is not a layer stone. That would do the trick as well, only that would mean that you also have no metals... unless you allow the layer stones to be used as metal as well...

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2009, 10:29:03 am »

I think you missed the point. I would've liked a message about the platinum...

No, we're in agreement!

There are metal ores, there are economic stones, and then there is everything else. I don't see why I need to be told that my dwarves hit a vein of a stone that may be of a different color ... or is the same color but has a different name. Discovery of ores or economics might change my digging plans, but the other stones hardly will.

It's especially annoying with microcline. Unless you had a computer in the 80s with a CGA adapter, you probably find cyan to be one of the ugliest colors known to man. Blue is even my favorite color, but not THAT blue. I had a Commodore. The IBM people were frikkin' colorblind. I dump my stones and tear down my cyan walls while mumbling "we don't need no education" to myself. Occaisionally I play the air guitar or trash my hotel room.

You could try changing your color scheme...

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2009, 12:34:40 pm »

What about obsidian hmm?

Not to mention stonecrafters would be non-existent as well....

Glassworking would be a massive industry for sure though.

Hmm, that brings up an interesting question: will the game make "rock" if water is poured into magma? That is, if this "rock" has the [LAVA] tag (or whatever its called that allows that layer to have magma.)

Im gonna go test this now.

EDIT: Well, my fresh download and purging of DF exploded upon embark.  :-\

Worldgen went okay, dwarf mode opened up, then site finder and kaboom.

Kefkakrazy, which bits did you delete that got you a working embark?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:47:36 pm by Eagle »

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2009, 01:00:13 pm »

I play with all large-cluster-forming stones modded to form veins instead.
Yes, including magnetite and bauxite.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2009, 07:35:19 pm »

I play with all large-cluster-forming stones modded to form veins instead.
Yes, including magnetite and bauxite.
Magnetites no fun when it's not in hellishly huge clusters.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2009, 08:52:10 pm »

The funny thing is, the two most annoying rocks in the game, microcline and orthoclase, are chemically the same... KAlSi3O8
"Microcline forms during slow cooling of orthoclase;"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcline

As for me, I modded both to be magma safe, and so I ensure I always have magma safe materials, even on bauxite free maps. Microcline is also good for building stargates out of.  ;D

I have also recently come up with a use for my huge orthoclase stockpiles as well (which I won't tell you about, since that would ruin the awesome when I finally unveil it). I'm a bit of a pack rat, I don't like destroying stone, I use every bit of it in secondary megaprojects.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2009, 10:10:57 pm »

I do want to be notified when I hit gems or ore veins. And you never know, if I wanted a specific material for building or something, I might want to know when I struck that. But yeah, in general I'd like to be able to turn the notification - and especially the pausing - off. Matter of fact, dont turn off anything, just make it so the "you have struck" message is just a message, and doesn't pause the game and zoom you to the spot. Combine that with a function to voluntarily zoom to the site of an event (which is horribly lacking in the case of, oh "Urist cancels hunt: horribly maimed") and we're good to go.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2009, 10:31:57 pm »

What if we expended the valuable rock page?  Include all possible things you can dig.

Now what if it only notified you on something you still had designated as valuable?
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

killaconcarnage

• Bay Watcher
  • ROBOFISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2009, 04:19:30 am »

why dont we mod the game so we have one stone

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2009, 07:41:02 am »

From what I heard, the next DF release version will have the option to turn off those messages.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2009, 12:12:47 pm »

[quote author=jokermatt999
As for the alerts on stones, I see no reason why it couldn't simply be added in the existing "Stones" submenu in the Z-menu. It wouldn't even be that hard to code in.
[/quote]

a nice set of options: use in construction, use in crafts, notify on discovery, minimum/maximum skill level to mine.

Done and done. (wish I could)
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2009, 07:06:51 pm »

a nice set of options: use in construction, use in crafts, notify on discovery, minimum/maximum skill level to mine.

I'd be wholeheartedly behind that set of options.  Yeah, buddy.
I brake for stumble bumblings
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]