Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: You have struck Microcline!  (Read 10894 times)

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You have struck Microcline!
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 12:03:10 pm »

No more "You have struck Alunite!""You have struck Microcline!""You have struck Magnetite""You have struck Microcline!" Every level.

I was responding to Phantom, who wanted to remove all stone.  Not all stone announcements, but all stone period.  You'd never be interrupted about striking stone because there would be no stone to strike in the first place.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 12:05:53 pm »

Idea!
REMOVE ALL THE F*CKING STONE IN THIS HUGE MOTHERF*CKING WORLD

Im gonna do it...

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 01:13:37 pm »

I nearly had a seizure when I got this message once. It wasn't the message on its own, but it was a few tiles on from platinum that my dwarves had NOT decided to tell me about.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

fortressdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 01:18:55 pm »

I personally feel that the stone messages are charming, as they indicate how interested, passionate one might say, the dwarves are in matters of geology. But is it so difficult to hit spacebar? 

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 01:36:50 pm »

Yea, I pretty much just hit spacebar and let it move on. Although when digging my main stairwell, I just wait for them to finish the whole thing as there is something that pops up almost every level.

I've had exploratory digging reveal aluminum or some other cluster ore (clusters of up to 5, not the huge nodes) it didn't tell me about. By the time I've finished doing exploratory digging in the area, pretty much all veins have been discovered.

Also, it will only alert you to the same vein once, so if you cross the vein again, it won't alert.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 01:43:46 pm »

I have now created a new DF folder. 40d, with all the matgloss files for stone/mineral/etc removed.

Soil layers only now.

Let's rock.

EDIT: Wow. Worldgen proceeded without a hitch, but the embark screen is a bit screwy-for mountain biomes, instead of the stone layers being displayed, I have the name of the local brook.... three or four times over. Upon embarking on a mountain layer, I find that the entire mountain has been replaced with a material called "rock," which seems to serve as a placeholder; it seems to display the same smoothability and mineability as normal stone layers, but it does NOT produce usable stone when mined. Weird.

I dunno. It's kinda useless-you get absolutely no usable stone, and therefore no stone constructions or mechanisms. It looks like it might have potential if you played in the middle of the woods, though, using imported metal or something and building wooden towers. You could certainly live underground, you just wouldn't have stone building materials. Stockpiling made easy; defenses made hellishly hard. If anyone wants a copy, tell me how to post it and it's yours.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 01:54:15 pm by kefkakrazy »
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 01:47:01 pm »

Wait, but that means no gems or anything. Your dwarves are going to go mental.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 01:48:18 pm »

Which is a good thing, since their sanity is insanity.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 01:55:08 pm by Phantom »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 01:52:30 pm »

Wait, but that means no gems or anything. Your dwarves are going to go mental.

You forgot to mention no ores of any kind.....

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 01:52:57 pm »

Its probably just going to be a world covered in sand or something, or crash.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 01:54:47 pm »

I have now created a new DF folder. 40d, with all the matgloss files for stone/mineral/etc removed.

Soil layers only now.

Let's rock.

Ba dum tish.

I may have to quote you in my signature a second time.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 01:55:19 pm »

your armourers, blacksmiths, weaponsmiths, metalcrafters, gem cutters and gem setters are all dead the instant they hit fey mood.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 01:58:06 pm »

your armourers, blacksmiths, weaponsmiths, metalcrafters, gem cutters and gem setters are all dead the instant they hit fey mood.
Well it wont ask for metals that dont exist...

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 02:01:14 pm »

Nor would they exist.EVER

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 02:05:53 pm »

So you'll get gem cutters that have never seen a gem, and armourers that can only make armour out of goblin melt-downs (or do they not get armour because no iron exists...

EDIT:
UristMcdwarf: what's a forge for?
Urist Mcarmourer: Not a clue...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:08:02 pm by Rowanas »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4