Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma, Falling, and a few other questions  (Read 498 times)

Brian7772

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma, Falling, and a few other questions
« on: July 23, 2009, 09:43:04 pm »

Hey Guys! I ran into a few quests today while playing some DF at work today. I didn't get to test everything out so here are a few things that I didn't get to test. Help a brother out?

Firstly I had this briliant idea of creating a fort that instead of sitting in a vat of magma, or having magma coursing through it like the blook of Armok that we would flood the entire bottom area and make it into one gigantic hellish girey hellscape with statues of dwarven monstrosities and murals of the horrible things that have happened in the past. This pit of dispair would be guarded by a horde of hammermen, because to be honest a single sliding hit would end in a firey death.

Unfortunitly the boss walked in and I misclicked the building orders for the miner who then let a firey spew  a leve to high. not a big deal really but then the tard ran down into my test bason and ran around for a big. Then when he was cornered by magna before it could touch him (5 spaces or so) he burst into flame is this because of temperateure procedes the actual magma? And if so is there any way to harness this to kill elves? I was thinking 2 lava waterfalls with a bridge in the middle that if they walk to close to the edge the burst into flame causing a whole set of cool net activities for their friends behind them???

Secondly, if an arrow is shot into a wall and falls, and then hits someone or something several levels below it will that things then take damage or die?

Thirdly, if I have a 1 tile wide lava pool and I want to cap it off to make it no longer part of the main stream is it possible to do this with a bucket birgade? I had 3 dwarves trying, but they just made a whole lot of steam. (alternitly though it gave me a great idea for a steam room)

Finally, does attacking a level to a support no longer work? I tried to do this several times and couldnt get it to work. I know cave ins work because... well it is the leading cause of death in my fort.
"Pff...real Dwarves just estimate it, start digging, and make corrections after the cave-in." - Wild Goose

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Magma, Falling, and a few other questions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:50:11 pm »

1. Yes, temperature precedes magma, though it typically doesn't hurt a dwarf unless he's standing in it. And yes, many people have developed magma traps and other various magma mechanics. The limit with what you can do with it is your imagination!

2. I doubt it. Arrows that hit walls with open space beneath them become items and are incapable of hurting anything.

3. You need to do it from one level higher than where your dwarves are currently dumping water.

4. Oh yes, they still work. You just need to make sure that whatever you're trying to collapse isn't supported elsewhere. Make sure to remove all nearby up stair cases and ramps, since those provide support.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma, Falling, and a few other questions
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 12:29:46 am »

we would flood the entire bottom area and make it into one gigantic hellish girey hellscape with statues of dwarven monstrosities and murals of the horrible things that have happened in the past.
I think you need to read up on 'Boatmurdered'.