Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magmafers  (Read 1143 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Magmafers
« on: July 23, 2009, 09:35:43 pm »

Searched and didn't find anything on this before. Why not layers of magma (or large regions)? Or (fun!) stone that pours magma when dug, like aquifers? 'Because innocent dwarves could die' is not a valid answer to my 'why not' question.

Who's with me?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Magmafers
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:40:12 pm »

So where does it come from?
Dwarf:Booze
Phantom:shut the hell up

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 09:53:49 pm »

Well you see, what we call magma is actually lava. Magma is the molten stone that is deep in the earth and is one with the rock. Really, the pipes are lava pipes and this is a magma layer. Of course the floors over the magma layer would need to be just as hot, so one could have a hot-plate for future use.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 10:30:55 pm »

It's a good idea, unfortunately it has been mentioned before.
Probably best fleshed out in the UD thread (seriously, if you can think of any suggestion pertaining to the underground, it's already in there).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 01:20:53 pm »

Alas! Of course, I certainly don't want to read that whole thing, and I'd forget it anyway. Anyway, though, if it's there Toady's probably already seen it- that's out of eternal voting for a reason.

...this still dwarfy though.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 02:40:59 pm »

I was going to say something witty about how *certain* things were not mentioned in the UG thread, then i remebered we already have hentai underground and so it didnt need to be sugested...
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 04:38:29 pm »

Urist McMetalcrafter is decorating everything in the fortress with images of tentacle demons.  :(

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 05:06:24 pm »

Tenticle demons and sexy, sexy elves... Yeaaaa, er i mean noooo....
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 05:09:48 pm »

SPY!!
*dramatic music*
TIME PARADOX

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 05:11:21 pm »

I'm not sure about this. I really don't think infinite-quantity magma layers should be around unless you're several miles deep into the Earth, unless some weird stuff is going on.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 05:16:02 pm »

Like founding a fort in hawaii?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 05:24:58 pm »

We do already have aquifers five feet below the surface, which except on beaches (and I mean in the SAND) and in swamps (where the water still wouldn't flood like that) should be 600-800 yards down.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 06:43:05 pm »

I'm pretty sure groundwater occurs fairly high up in places other than those. Maybe not 10-15 feet down like in Dwarf Fortress, but close. But all you've proven is that aquifer depth (and probably soil layers in general) need to be more varied, and besides that, I think there's a bit of a difference in scale between aquifers being a bit too high up and magma being so high up that the basements of some hotels would hit it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 07:55:18 pm »

Dwarven Tentai! The perfect mix of dwarves, hentai and so many tentacles!

Anyone for Legend Of The Overfiend?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Urist Obama

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 09:44:24 pm »

Jesus christ this game has a fucking disgusting userbase.
Pages: [1] 2