Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suggestions by a new player  (Read 2370 times)

Phelix

• Bay Watcher
  • Mining is Fun!
    • View Profile
Suggestions by a new player
« on: July 23, 2009, 07:24:36 pm »

Hey first post on the forums and I just had some ideas (I get ideas for almost every good game I play) so I thought I would tell them.

~Jobs~
Nanny/Teacher: Herd the children so they wont stupidly hang around the edge of my map

Nurse: Specifically kept around for the purpose of doing basic healing jobs & caring for the sick/injured dwarves

Doctor: significantly reduce the time dwarves spend injured (and even sometimes heal the normally unhealable)

~Rooms~
Nursery/School: area for the Nanny/Teacher too work (and for children too gather)

Hospital: area for injured dwarves too be kept & cared for by Nurses & Doctors

Unit specific barracks: I would like too make barracks for specific units in my military, this way I can make all my marksdwarves hang out in a tower out in the wilderness, even when they arent on duty (and fire from said tower if there is an ambush) It would also allow me too make a guard specific barracks & a royal guard barracks near the baron/king

~Animals~
Mounts: Horses, elephants and other things which would make great mounts for my dwarves too ride into combat, also stables too keep said horses & elephants

Thieves: trained Rheses Maques would make great thieves for caravans etc (but they could figure it out that you are the one sending them which would be bad)

Those are my ideas, dunno if other people have also thought of them (though Im sure they have) anyways, here for your consideration
"An Ambush! Curse them!"

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions by a new player
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 07:43:26 pm »

the next update adresses healing doctors and possibly nurses are in.

Mounts are in, but Toadyone specifically stated no Dwarven mounts.

Nursery facilities are unknown.

Theives. Kobolds and goblins are already theives, but i see whee you are coming from, this may be adressed in the Caravan arc.

Kthnx, these are good, but are already suggested/implemented. please use the search button to research things you wish to post, and necro threads rather than startin' new ones.

Welcome to the forums BTW!

EDIT: removed superfluous "Specifically"
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:12:27 pm by Jakkarra »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 08:05:41 pm »

Hello!  Thank you for your post!  These suggestions have been floating around for years; to get a better sense of what's up, I reccomend reading the devnotes, etc, and running a forum search.

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 05:40:12 am »

Is that a Secret of Mana dwarf I see?
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 12:52:25 pm »

I believe assigning barracks are also already coming in as well.

As for the kids I believe having a meeting area will cause the kids to gather there. Either make a zone using i, build a table and assign it as a dining room with meeting area enabled, or define a room from a statue or cage.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 11:25:45 pm »

Heh, a school would be a fun idea. A legendary miner teaching a school could train children to up to competent miner level or something :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 11:20:47 am »

Dev_Now presents an example of dwarves teaching other dwarves, and although it is unclear whether it will be restricted to military or not, most of the work toward schools is done.
Yet I don't think there will be a building 'school'. It'd probably be better if they hang around social places such as meeting halls and see if a lesson is underway or ask someone more skilled to give one.
Some people already asked Toady about the system anyway.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 12:39:50 pm »

Personally, I think I'd be furious if a legendary miner or mason or engraver or farmer took off of important work for the fortress to get someone up to Adept or whatever.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 12:54:34 pm »

... but Toadyone specifically stated no Dwarven mounts.

ahhh ... I was loking forward for dwarves on battle rams (or giant mountain eagles or plump helmets or something)
hopefully there will be possibility to mod them in
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 01:23:29 pm »

Schools as you know them for teaching various crafts makes no sense in historical context. Theory lessons aren't that useful anyway

I suppose you could teach the tykes to read and write if that ever becomes relevant. Playing, player assigned apprenticeship and some light work would fill the rest of the day. Not theory lessons

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 02:39:32 pm »

Schools as you know them for teaching various crafts makes no sense in historical context. Theory lessons aren't that useful anyway

I suppose you could teach the tykes to read and write if that ever becomes relevant. Playing, player assigned apprenticeship and some light work would fill the rest of the day. Not theory lessons

Apprenticeships would be more accurate for the time period this game is set in. Would make child dwarves actually useful (I'm thinking of something like the apprentice helping the master with gathering materials and maybe speeds up their work slightly, making them worth having and worth protecting against snatchers).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 04:25:05 pm »

I like the apprenticeship idea a lot.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 12:35:32 am »

necro threads rather than startin' new ones.

Are you sure about that?  The last time I necro'd a thread I got cussed for 3 pages

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 08:56:21 am »

necro threads rather than startin' new ones.

Are you sure about that?  The last time I necro'd a thread I got cussed for 3 pages
On suggestions?

Edit:  On some days you'll get cussed for three pages no matter what you do

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 12:23:38 pm »

I agree with the idea of doctors but I highly disagree with the idea of using Doctors to bypass existing problems within the game.

Dwarf Injuries are a problem so much as they are willing to become bed ridden for what constitutes a bruise, cut, or blister. The fact that they take forever to heal as well only aggrivates the problem.

A Doctor can only do so much for a Bruise that I'd like to bring up an old saying: "It is like trying to make a baby in a month by hiring nine women".

Though I do remember that there are ways to make the body heal faster (Closing wounds does this).

In Conclusion: The Doctor shouldn't be made to fix the problem. The Problem should be solved and the Doctor should expand on medicine as a whole (If anything injuries should get more serious once doctors are added)
Pages: [1] 2