Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Island for you!  (Read 22799 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Island for you!
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 08:13:44 pm »

The rain bug is bad. If you have rain, and then turn off weather, and then turn back weather on, rain will still keep going. :/

It is possible to natively get areas that never stop raining. I've seen it once, and occasionally reports pop up on the forums about other people who've seen the same thing.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2009, 09:38:23 am »

Well lucky me. I regenned the world and tried the map with weather/temprature off. For some reason it still rains, even though I embarked with it off. But my fps was much better, and the lake didn't freeze, so I played for a few ingame years and made a quaint little wooden aboveground hamlet (With walls incase the ponds flood from the rain). Anyway I got this:

You can also see that the Groundhog population is doing very well. Theres 53 of them sitting around with a stray cougar in the corner of the map.

Edit: All of the children are males too, but thats ok cause I embarked with more women than men this time, and someone already gave birth to a girl.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 09:41:50 am by Onlyhestands »
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2009, 11:38:28 am »

triplets

Triplets? Did you increase the litter size in dwarves or was that part of unaltered raws? I've never even had dwarf twins in vanilla.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2009, 11:52:59 am »

triplets

Triplets? Did you increase the litter size in dwarves or was that part of unaltered raws? I've never even had dwarf twins in vanilla.

The only change I have made in the raws was that I halfed the child age from 12 to 6. Anyhow dwarves do have [Multiple_Litter_Rare] so it is possible. I did a search and other people have had it happen too.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2009, 04:25:48 pm »

Nevertheless, it's a great little nice surprise. I wonder what more surprises lie in wait on the little island that could ;)

I would be playing this if it weren't for college, paper due tomorrow midnight, and already committed project, large cross-stitch.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2009, 04:35:21 pm »

Beach's always have sand, so there really should be some place on that island to get sand for glass.... SHOULD BE....
Nom nom nom

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2009, 04:45:13 pm »

The current smallest genned island is in a freshwater lake. Not in an ocean unfortunately :/

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2009, 07:02:13 pm »

I just found an island, though its pretty big. Are fat islands common?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2009, 07:06:41 pm »

Doesn't really matter if they can appear in winter since there's no dwarven caravan.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2009, 07:18:33 pm »

Yeah, fat islands can be pretty common. I wonder if you could get a caravan on the small one if you built floors to the edge.

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2009, 07:26:52 pm »

Just tried to gen the world with the parimeters you gave, and it froze in year 218.  :'(
I have the lamest computer known to man...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 07:28:44 pm by Flaming Dorf »
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2009, 08:54:41 am »

That's terrible. This was genned with the latest developmental version, perhaps that's the trouble?

And I do hope that I can in some way retain this world when the next version hits. Because it looks like that there is no backwards compatibility in it.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2009, 09:08:10 am »

Hopefully seeds will still work.

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2009, 12:19:24 pm »

This was genned with the latest developmental version, perhaps that's the trouble?

Right you are. I just downloaded the developmental version, and it went along just fine.

Shadetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2009, 03:05:29 pm »

I had a carpenter that was traipsing from the woodpile to workshop building over the a small frozen pond when it flash melted.

Proceed to pumping out the pond to retrieve and just pump it straight onto the surrounding land

level 1 water stays around till the next winter because of the rain and some then promptly freeze into icewalls

Come the melt and now my little wet patch is a medium size wet patch

freeze

melt

bigger patch

Eventually my whole island, cepting the hills, will be covered in 1/7 water
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11