Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Island for you!  (Read 22785 times)

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Island for you!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 08:58:30 am »

I've had volcanoes appear in the middle of oceans before, though not so small as this one.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 09:02:56 am »

I also found a 6x6 site on this map, in the same region as goblin tower (which is right in the neighbour of chasm, hello trolls). It also has HFS and Magma. Rhyolite and Obsidian and Granite stone layers, but no flux. I told the finder to find 6x6 area, no aquifer, have river, magma pipe and HFS. Then moved to the nearest goblin fort.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 10:04:00 am »

Cool

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: My embark crew consisted of 5 Dwarfettes and 2 Male Dwarves.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:11:11 am by Onlyhestands »
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 10:28:48 am »

Edit: My embark crew consisted of 5 Dwarfettes and 2 Male Dwarves.

Hmm.  If Dwarf Fortress represented polygamy in any way, that would actually be a good proportion for maximising the increase in population.  Mind, you'll get bad inbreeding with a starting population of 7 no matter what, but that would be the ideal way of going about it.

Enough about real-life science, though, and back to DF science.  Be sure to keep us updated on how this Uristson Crusoe tale unfolds.  ;D
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 10:35:43 am »

Pretty good so far. However its almost the end of Summer, and the rain hasn't let up. I'm waiting for it to stop so I can turn weather off for my computer's sake. Also, there is a native population of groundhogs on the Island. I also have breeding pairs of Cats, Dogs, and Muskoxen.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 10:50:06 am »

That island looks awesome! I spent a day or two once looking for an island that fits within an embark but had no dice. If only you could get something a little smaller then you could play it without tanking your FPS =/

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 11:07:09 am »

The OP had actively been looking for an island but hadn't found anything smaller than the island in the first post. But at least he had waves.

And groundhogs! I had only one groundhog on embark, so I thought wildlife hunting was out. I wonder if there are any creatures in that lake...

Wow this island looks good in Visualizer!

And I'm still in awe of finding this thing. Sounds egotistical I know :/

Good luck with your fort! This would make good story fort, perhaps I should embark and scum until I get 4/3 gender balance. Though the main problem is liking each other enough to pair up. My last FPS fort had only one breeding pair, and none of the already adults were going to take the others as their own wives/husbands.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 01:14:33 pm »

a one square meeting area helps relationships, as they all cram into one square. *Horrible Mental Image*

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 01:27:47 pm »

Huh. The lake freezes during the winter

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 03:56:58 pm »

Damn. I had hoped that it wouldn't. Then you could get something in the winter. Migrants, or even a Liason...

Gotten anything? I know you can't get goblins...

Wait, you got temperature on? Shouldn't it be off to spare FPS?

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 04:44:05 pm »

I had turned it off, but I thought that maybe it was messing with the rain(Its still raining even in winter), so I turned it back on.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 04:48:18 pm »

Huh. The lake freezes during the winter

You know what that means?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 04:51:11 pm »

The rain bug is bad. If you have rain, and then turn off weather, and then turn back weather on, rain will still keep going. :/

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 05:18:53 pm »

Wow, so many possibilities with this.  Community fort, hermit challenge, for the real masochists, empty wagon challenge...  I don't recall; do any civs trade in the winter?  I'm guessing they are still inaccessible anyway.  Maybe you will get immigrants.

Someone should dig out the island, clear out the edges during the winter, and collapse it into the ocean.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 07:18:50 pm »

I wonder if the lake freezing will eventually allow for migrants. I doubt it does now, but maybe at some point in the future? Seems like the best time to cross!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11