Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Island for you!  (Read 22758 times)

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: Island for you!
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2009, 08:43:08 am »

Also, driftwood can't be used as lumber.
It really should be, though.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2009, 09:01:35 am »

Also, driftwood can't be used as lumber.
It really should be, though.
Driftwood is like boulders - just scenery for the game.

And driftwood isn't equal to lumber as it is old, water-rinsed, cracked and "plankton-crunched".
Dry driftwood is light and burns quickly but its very hard to make something useful off it.
Finis sanctificat media.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2009, 12:03:26 pm »

I couldn't even be exclusively craftswood?

Driftwood makes good ornamental use. It may not be too suitable for building a house, but it does make a nice sculpture material.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2009, 12:28:01 pm »

I'd like to settle on an island but the lack of contact with the outside world would quickly get tiresome. Perhaps I should try and find one where I can include a small bit of mainland coastline and then build a bridge for traders / besiegers. Would want to do it all in cast obsidian though and engrave it.

Driftwood makes good ornamental use. It may not be too suitable for building a house, but it does make a nice sculpture material.

When the Vikings settled on Greenland there were no trees and they built their homes using driftwood.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2009, 01:51:21 pm »

I just played the island from page one, and it was beautiful! Groundhogs frolicking to the east, a pack of majestic wolves to the west, my project is coming along nicely, then winter comes. I am worried about ice, but no freezing occurs.

then mid winter comes along, the south east and northern portions freeze. and on the ice sheets flit fairies! tons of them, this place is magical and beautiful I say to myself.

then sudenly I get the messages:
 A miner has been encased in ice
 A Muskox has been encased in ice
the miner was the only one who had the Lover Relationship yet, I gasp and am deeply saddened by the loss, then I notice all the animals make their way to the end of the brook and ford it onto the ice. I begin to worry that they will all drown. but the worry is undounded because they migrate off the edge without a care. all 15 wolves and pups along with the 6 groundhogs and pups leave. now my six remaining dwarves sit alone on the island. utterly alone.

Its made extra sad by all three of my cats sudenly becoming strays :'(

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2009, 05:25:11 pm »

Thats exactly why I turned temprature off. On my fort I now have 12 Dwarves(5 children), and I've started work on a lighthouse mega project(about 1/4 of the way done). Everyone also has their own house. There are also about 70 wild groundhogs now but I guese theres a cap because they stopped giving birth. Its really a very fun map.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2009, 11:21:55 pm »

This Island is so strange, it rains ALWAYS! It simply does not stop. Ive noticed a few dwarves pause out in the open some times with the Task of drink. they are drinking water off of themselves instead of booz! If only their was HFS this would be a true test against the SoF

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2009, 07:36:28 pm »

Can someone PM me this awnser (Dosent check posts often) But is there an easier way to do worldgen with seed paramaters? (I notice yall paste alot of info and I burned out trying to read it all and go down my game lines and putting it in manualy.)

Cheers if you can.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2009, 07:42:49 pm »

Can someone PM me this awnser (Dosent check posts often) But is there an easier way to do worldgen with seed paramaters? (I notice yall paste alot of info and I burned out trying to read it all and go down my game lines and putting it in manualy.)

Cheers if you can.

Select the info, hit ctrl+c, open up the worldgen.txt in your init folder in the DF folder and hit ctrl+v at the bottom.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2009, 08:16:26 pm »

Its taking forever and a day to gen but thanks alot! Big help to know this info.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2009, 10:57:47 am »

:( The animals on my island were rhesus macaques. I've only got one left, and it's got brown wounds all over, laying unconscious on the hill. I tried to cage-trap it but whenever my mechanic came near it woke up and ran. Alas, no wildlife. I've got dogs and muskoxen though. And a shiteload of turtles.

I'm making Twee Little Village Fortress, slowly, as I have to keep letting them party.

I've got one married couple with a child and a baby, (m and f respectively), after four years, but no one else has shacked up yet...

They will shack up between generations, won't they, once the dwarves grow up?

ETA: This dwarf has popped out three others, and as yet she's the only one... if the fort gets itself to only Iton Worktours' children, I'll let a bridge down for a migrant wave... :P
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 03:10:38 pm by Chromie »

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2009, 03:37:17 pm »

I had to kill the 10 rehus that spawned at my fort, they stole all my food and ran for the edges of the island. Stupid buggahs >.<

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2009, 04:43:46 pm »

Hey! Lonewolf Robinson Crusoe's quest completed. ;-)

Six micro islands per one map.

Each around 40-80 z-levels height (depth, really ;D).
Wood, magma, sand. But no HFS at all.

First part of geninfo:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmm. I can't get island No.5 to gen properly, i always end up with an aquifier, and sometimes completely different stone types. Could someone gen the map for me and give me the save? pwease?
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2009, 11:34:19 pm »

Hey! Lonewolf Robinson Crusoe's quest completed. ;-)

Six micro islands per one map.

Each around 40-80 z-levels height (depth, really ;D).
Wood, magma, sand. But no HFS at all.
Hmm. I can't get island No.5 to gen properly, i always end up with an aquifier, and sometimes completely different stone types. Could someone gen the map for me and give me the save? pwease?
This is because you have [aquifer] tags in vanilla's proper places. And i don't.
So there's two ways - 1) you remove tags 2) somebody remove tags from your configs for you.  ;D
Finis sanctificat media.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2009, 11:44:16 pm »

If you really want to have driftwood, you could create a new stone called "Driftwoodite" and have it occur in small clusters in sand layers.

Then add a reaction to a Wood Furnace to make wood logs from Driftwoodite stone... it kind of makes sense that you would have to "dry" the wet wood before doing anything with it.

...I can see a complete Tom Hanks scenario here, you know the movie Cast Away?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11