Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Island for you!  (Read 22759 times)

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Island for you!
« on: July 23, 2009, 06:46:46 pm »

Edit:  Thanks Untelligent for how to add embark screenie.

I've been generating maps for days trying to find a map that has an island small enough to fit into one embark screen.  I've found one and I want to share.  I'm heavily custom modded so I hope this works for ya'll.

Embark Location:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seed:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:32:55 pm by MiamiBryce »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Island for you!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 07:11:06 pm »

To use a screenshot:

1) Take the screenshot by pressing alt-printscreen, paste it into GIMP or Photoshop (or MS Paint if you don't have either, but it doesn't preserve quality as well so it'll probably look fuzzy) and save it as a .png file.

2) Upload it to Tinypic or Photobucket (google it or type a name in the address bar). Tinypic is faster, but Photobucket is better for long-term storage. Imageshack is also similar to Photobucket, but I don't like it much.

3) Copy/paste the IMG link into the message entry box here. Put it in spoiler tags if its large.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 07:37:42 pm »

Yay, thanks :D
Shame it doesn't have anything of "interest", but it's hard like hell to find an island :(

Thanks a lot!!!
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 08:19:13 pm »

Nice find!

Surviving might be little hard, but dwarves will die with style.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 10:02:11 pm »

I wonder if it's possible to gen a world to find an entire island you can fit into a 6x6 embark area?

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 10:12:00 pm »

I wonder if it's possible to gen a world to find an entire island you can fit into a 6x6 embark area?

IIRC this is the third island l've ever found and the smallest so far.  It can be squeezed down to 7x11.  I don't know how the wave action may affect slower computers but there's almost no native wildlife and you'll have to grow your dwarf population the old fashioned way since there won't be immigrants.  You should be FPS safe for long a while.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 12:41:23 am »

Sounds pretty awesome; does anyone know of any mods that allow an an aquatic civilization or something like that to siege? I normally don't mod other than orcs but if I was able to create some kind of mer people who could siege an island fortress that would be pretty intense.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 12:46:16 am »

Swimming and flying civs are broken for now, I'm afraid- that'd be a nice feature to have in the future, and it's on the to do list I think.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 02:19:41 am »

Does that piece of land at the bottom connect off the map, or is it cut off with water in the embark screen?

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 02:42:29 am »

Do you even get sieges when on such an island?
It would make the game a whole lot easier (maybe even to easy), although the idea of massive inbreeding is wierd

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 02:48:22 am »

Dwarves will quite happily marry their cousins, so shouldn't be too troublesome.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 08:21:10 am »

Oh my god. I just found a smaller island! And I wasn't even looking for one!
Gen info, made with d16

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 08:26:02 am by elizar »
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 08:30:34 am »

Oh my god. I just found a smaller island! And I wasn't even looking for one!

It even has a brook running straight through it. I'm curious as to how that actually works...

The area in the region view doesn't look like an ocean - is that a lake (and a damn huge one at that)?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 08:39:17 am »

Yeah, large freshwater lake. Even in an isolated valley. Just above you got a haunted forest in another valley, and you share with with goblins.

And that island doesn't have any aquifers?! This is a dream, and I don't want to wake up. Complete isolation without having to genocide the dwarvekind, and accessible water, and stones!
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 08:44:19 am »

but no good stones.

no steel
no glass
no tin

otherwise, it looks awesome.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11