Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: weird magma- and steam-related shit  (Read 1293 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
weird magma- and steam-related shit
« on: July 23, 2009, 06:04:02 pm »

Out of boredom I pitted 2 young animals, one dromedary and one muskox into magma. The former died instantly in the heat, the latter... just stood there.

I waited some time, thinking that the calf would stop being magma-proof any minute now, but that didn't happen. I don't have a way to drain my magma channels either, so I figured there was the remote possibility of encasing the muskox in obsidian, and channeling it out later, if I poured water on it. After a couple of buckets poured on top of him, the animal suffocated.

Did the steam do this? I thought steam had gotten nerfed so it didn't present any danger whatsoever.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: weird magma- and steam-related shit
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 06:08:12 pm »

Were the animals pitted in rapid succession to each other?

Supposedly, when one creature falls on another creature submerged in magma, the creature somehow gets to be magma proof. I believe you just experienced this.

I recommend you test this further.

I don't think steam does anything.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 06:10:48 pm »

Steam is currently harmless but magma will act like water in that it will drown creatures.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 06:25:43 pm »

Steam is currently harmless but magma will act like water in that it will drown creatures.

And drowning displays as suffocating1), doesn't it? I'm not sure, since it's been a while since I last saw one of my charges drown.

Were the animals pitted in rapid succession to each other?

I gave both orders at the same time and it is conceivable that they landed on top of each other, as you've just explained.

There is, however, one outcome of this that is still puzzling. I had a pair of narrow iron leggings in that magma tile which I dumped by mistake. Said leggings had lain in the magma for several years. Now, after this whole magma-proof muskox business and me trying to obsidianize him, they're gone.

Can this be explained somehow?

1) Drowning is suffocation, I know, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the same in game terms, and there might conceivably be a more specific message for it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:29:14 pm by assimilateur »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 06:29:04 pm »

And drowning displays as suffocating, doesn't it? I'm not sure, since it's been a while since I last saw one of my charges drown.

Well, in water, it displays as 'Creature has drowned.' I don't know if that's the case for magma.

There is, however, one outcome of this that is still puzzling. I had a pair of narrow iron leggings in that magma tile which I dumped by mistake. Said leggings had lain in the magma for several years. Now, after this whole magma-proof muskox business and me trying to obsidianize him, they're gone.

Can this be explained somehow?

Did you turn the tile that the iron leggings rested in into obsidian? It should still show up on the stocks screen if it exists.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 06:30:27 pm »

Did you turn the tile that the iron leggings rested in into obsidian?

No, it's still magma.

I looked around that magma pool now, and it seems that some of the molten stones that were in there got pushed around by the water earlier. It's possible that the leggings remain there as well, but I'd have to localize them manually. Going by the stocks screen wouldn't work as I've got hundreds, if not thousands, of as of yet unclaimed pieces of goblin equipment.

EDIT:

On an unrelated note, the denizens of my fort are now officially losing it. I drafted my mayor so she can slaughter some captured goblins and earn an epithet, hopefully a wacky and/or bad-ass one, and instead of going to her post she's in my weapon stockpile picking up and examining steel axes, even though she's already got her weapon (a pick, according to her unarmed setting and mining career) on her.

EDIT2:

Turns out all of my miners had both mining and woodcutting enabled in dwarf manager. Must have clicked that shit by mistake.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:45:41 pm by assimilateur »