Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Order: Dwarves hide in bedrooms  (Read 905 times)

Saer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Axeman
    • View Profile
Order: Dwarves hide in bedrooms
« on: July 23, 2009, 02:49:31 pm »

Now, I think it would help if any intruders infiltrate your fortress to have dwarves hide in their rooms, but there isn't a command like that for orders... I mean, it would make sense, since the military would have less to patrol to keep dwarves safe (depending on how your fortress works). However, still necessary at some point.

I haven't read if someone already recommended it, but still, I can imagine it wouldn't be difficult.
At my school, we have a "Lockdown" drill where we all hide in the nearest classroom if there is some sort of killer on the loose inside the school or something.

For dwarves that don't have rooms, they would hide in the barracks or nearest bedroom.

Anyway, I have a story to go with this.

It all began spring year 3 or 4, of my favorite fortress of "Stronghold".
I finished building an arch for style out of chalk.
Within minutes, a fire consumed everything around my fortress (luckily my chalk walls prevented it from getting in). And two kittens died in the fire. KITTENS DIED!
Well, in the mean time, I had all the dwarves in the command of "dwarves stay indoors"
I forgot to shut my bridge to get into the fortress, and somehow goblins got into my fortress (via the bridge I guessed).
There happened to be an elf caravan at the trading post, and they all were killed in a bloody mess. I brough my guards in as fast as I could. The trading post was on my production layer (i know, i shouldn't have it organized like that, it is not efficient), but there was 1 dwarf killed in that incident (along with all the elves).

Anyway, a dwarf broke out in insanity and killed 3 dwarves (yeah 1 dwarf can kill 3, but goblins could kill only one, proves they are inferior, but they were also on my production layer as well).
Well, two dwarves went on tantrums, and now they destroyed some chairs, tables, and the trade post (still with elf supplies on it, lol).

Aftermath, dwarf bodies everywhere, dwarves thirsty and hungry, and everyone is traumatized.
Now many are going insane because of the chaos, and more dwarves die.

Now, I think more died, actually, since I see dozens of dead bodies on the ground, but I am too sad to see Stronghold destroyed to count their heads...

Anyway, if this command was in place, I think almost no dwarves would be dead, or traumatized.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:20:54 pm by Saer »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Order: Dwarves hide in bedrooms
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 03:44:17 pm »

I think burrows could help here

Saer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Axeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 03:49:18 pm »

I think burrows could help here
Burrows?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 04:30:10 pm »

Burrows are already in for the next release.

Saer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Axeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 04:41:56 pm »

Now, I don't know... do you have a link?
never mind, and also that wouldnt work.

I am saying a more small version of that,just hiding in their room.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:46:57 pm by Saer »

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 04:52:20 pm »

Quote from: Dev_now 06/15/2009
The "stay indoors" order has been removed from the game. It has been replaced with three pre-defined-and-changeable and as many custom alert states as you like. Alert states determine which schedule a squad uses and also have a few parameters defining how civilians behave as well. This means you should be able to make a alert called "Underground Attack" that makes squads carry out whatever plan you have regarding plugging up an invasion of ratmen from an underground layer while the civilians meanwhile cancel their jobs and run up to the highest meeting hall you have, while your alert called "External Siege" might see the civilians run down to your lowest meeting hall while the squads run over to the towers and gates... or just wait for the traps to do their job. That's a later adjustment.
Quote from: Dev_now 06/17/2009
So somebody asked if it's possible to use civilians for jobs and so on while the alert is on, in the zone to which they've been restricted. I was originally thinking more of shorter alerts where you just wanted to get them away from someplace dangerous while you fought something out. However, while I was working on it, I decided I might as well make it more diverse, so I put in burrows.

The ill-named burrows are larger sections of your fortress where dwarves live and work and to which you can restrict their movements. Dwarves can be assigned to multiple burrows, and you can paint them with your mouse in a few brush sizes or lay them out in multiple rectangles (a burrow need not be a rectangle). Any number of burrows can overlap and you can give them names and an ASCII symbol.

Dwarves will only use workshops, stockpiles, living areas, meeting halls, etc. in the burrows to which they are assigned. I've removed all of the "entrance dance" code so that they can survive the mental trauma of not being in their assigned locations, and they can cross locations that aren't in their burrow, but they'll maintain the restrictions in the general sense described above.

There are many, many ways in which this can be useful for controlling labor (you could even have your experienced miners mine veins of your choosing in this way -- it'd be a slightly clunky workaround, but it works). Just the basic burrow mechanic is powerful enough that it is pretty exploitable, so there will be several ways in which dwarves either move beyond their burrows or are affected adversely by heavy restrictions, but I'll leave those for you to find. These effects should all make sense and not be all that restrictive on play, especially if you are respectful to your critters (for instance, having your soap makers all stand in a 3x3 corner in the main hall until they starve to death shouldn't proceed as planned for very long).

A dwarf not specifically assigned to a burrow can work anywhere, but in the future there might be, say, a restricted burrow setting or something that'll exclude such dwarves. There are also items posted on dev about burrow hauling jobs and burrow production limits and all of whatever -- I haven't done any of that. Things like restricting manager orders to certain burrows etc. would all be great (and faster than doing it via particular workshops in general), but I don't want to get too far afield for this release (since I'm already far afield). In any case, the core work and mechanics are done.

Getting back to the immediate topic, alerts can now just restrict civilians to a set of burrows, with the further restriction that they should get to this set of burrows with priority. If a dwarf then doesn't feel comfortable working there because they were previous assigned to areas outside the alert area, they'll be idle as before, but it's a smaller problem than the one described in the beginning of the first paragraph, and it can be easily corrected if you plan on or are forced to stay in that alert state for a prolonged period. Giving individual dwarves different burrow assignments based on their alert state could be a future possibility (perhaps in conjunction with the work-gang class of ideas), but that's not in the cards for this release.

In summary, you have a button that tells dwarves to go to a predetermined location.  You can set individual dwarves to go to different predetermined locations.  Thus, you can set each dwarf to go to his own bedroom during attacks.  I don't see a single thing in your suggestion that has not already been implemented into the new version.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 05:07:58 pm by Fieari »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 05:06:53 pm »

Automatically create a few 'special' burrows for lazy players.

It would save a lot of work, if, in addition to the player defined burrows, there were a special subsection of automatically defined burrows.  I'm not thinking anything requiring a great deal of A.I. here, but stuff that should be obvious to the player and game, as well as being nigh-trivial to program.

Automated Burrow Ideas

Quarters : By-Dwarf... Quarters means only rooms that the dwarf itself owns
Royal Quarters : Useful for guards...  Means rooms that the highest ranking dwarf owns
Layer X : Define a Burrow on each layer.
Above Ground : Define a Burrow as 'Above Ground'
Under Ground : Define a Burrow as 'Under Ground'

Kaiern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 07:20:55 pm »

DF should have some sort of DEFCON system. That would be fun.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 12:07:50 am »

DF should have some sort of DEFCON system. That would be fun.

DEFCON was put in the June 15 dev update. The gist of it is that you can define as many "alert states" as you want, which replace the current "stay indoors" order, albeit without the entrance dance and tied to burrows and squad assignments instead of general locations.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 10:43:06 pm »

Anyway, I have a story to go with this.

It all began spring year 3 or 4, of my favorite fortress of "Stronghold".
I finished building an arch for style out of chalk.
Within minutes, a fire consumed everything around my fortress (luckily my chalk walls prevented it from getting in). And two kittens died in the fire. KITTENS DIED!
Well, in the mean time, I had all the dwarves in the command of "dwarves stay indoors"
I forgot to shut my bridge to get into the fortress, and somehow goblins got into my fortress (via the bridge I guessed).
There happened to be an elf caravan at the trading post, and they all were killed in a bloody mess. I brough my guards in as fast as I could. The trading post was on my production layer (i know, i shouldn't have it organized like that, it is not efficient), but there was 1 dwarf killed in that incident (along with all the elves).

Anyway, a dwarf broke out in insanity and killed 3 dwarves (yeah 1 dwarf can kill 3, but goblins could kill only one, proves they are inferior, but they were also on my production layer as well).
Well, two dwarves went on tantrums, and now they destroyed some chairs, tables, and the trade post (still with elf supplies on it, lol).

Aftermath, dwarf bodies everywhere, dwarves thirsty and hungry, and everyone is traumatized.
Now many are going insane because of the chaos, and more dwarves die.

Why can't I have this much fun?