Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding an interesting site?  (Read 1122 times)

NightWatchman

• Bay Watcher
  • Ol' Stoneface
    • View Profile
Finding an interesting site?
« on: July 23, 2009, 01:22:32 pm »

All the sites I've been genning recently are extremely dull. They insist there's magma, but I've never found any. And if I try to gen a world which is evil or savage, it never has everything I want.

I'm too confused by all the Dwarf Heaven stuff, I basically want a site with;
Magma pipe
River, underground or overground or even both
SOME trees and plants
A vaguely interesting map.

However, I don't know how to gen something so specific, and like I said, anythnig to do with the init files, modding, etc, confuses the HFS out of me. It was bad enough trying to put the cat mouth thing in there, which I was told was necessary.

The current site I've got I've really stretched too far, I've planned some nice defenses but I don't even have metalworks yet. I could really do with some basic advice in terms of setting up.

tl;dr, I want somewhere which has some interesting stuff in it, theat I can experiment with, being a new-ish player. And a quick runthrough on how to not cock-up dramatically would be nice.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Finding an interesting site?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:34:48 pm »

In init.txt, you have all the show embark features set to ALWAYS instead of FINDER, right? That might help you in your search for more interesting sites.

If regular sites are boring you, try a challenge. Embark on a desert. Embark on a glacier. Limit yourself to only building above ground. Etc.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

NightWatchman

• Bay Watcher
  • Ol' Stoneface
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 01:39:30 pm »

In init.txt, you have all the show embark features set to ALWAYS instead of FINDER, right? That might help you in your search for more interesting sites.

If regular sites are boring you, try a challenge. Embark on a desert. Embark on a glacier. Limit yourself to only building above ground. Etc.

Doesn't that kill the HFS, or something?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 01:43:13 pm »

Da wha?

You're seriously mistaken about what that does.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Enabling these to ALWAYS allows you to see what features are on a map before you embark. If you go to a mountain tile, you can see them in action.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

NightWatchman

• Bay Watcher
  • Ol' Stoneface
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 01:49:06 pm »

Thanks a lot.

Now, what do the symbols mean?! :P

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 01:55:17 pm »

= Underground River
~ = Underground Pool
= Magma Pipe
~ = Magma Pool
# = Chasm
= Bottomless Pit
= Other features

NightWatchman

• Bay Watcher
  • Ol' Stoneface
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 01:57:47 pm »

= Underground River
~ = Underground Pool
= Magma Pipe
~ = Magma Pool
# = Chasm
= Bottomless Pit
= Other features

I'm using Mayday's tileset :P
I've always been curious; wha comes undr 'Other features', exactly?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 02:07:22 pm »

Well, I can't help you if you don't play in the default ASCII, like a real man!

I've always been curious; wha comes undr 'Other features', exactly?

Those are the... other features. They're Fun.

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 04:14:22 pm »

other features is also known as HFS.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 04:33:02 pm »

dark spot (same as some oceans) = Underground River
light blue spot = Underground Pool
dark spot (same as red sand) = Magma Pipe
light red spot = Magma Pool
# (identical) = Chasm
○ (vary similar, but sort of 3D) = Bottomless Pit
dots = Other features

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 06:48:37 pm »

As it happens, I've got a fort running on a site that has a brook, easily-found magma pipe, underground river, and a chasm. No trees, though. But it's on a 5*5 site, so it's lovely and compact.

Have you messed with copy-pasting stuff into the worldgen file?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 12:52:57 am »

Yeah, I've been having a hard time finding good sites myself. Either the finder secretly hates me and no matter what features I set it to find it's always one thing short (I mean, god damn it, I want an evil site with magma and flux! That's all! How come I need to generate 5 different worlds to get a single spot in a bloody desert! I really like the desert, mind you, black sand, all civs, it's my first, but still?)

I don't really have the audacity to mess around with the worldgen... despite knowing that whatever does screw up, can be fixed in a few seconds. I guess that's entirely my own fault.

Oh, and one last thing, there is a website which has some interesting pre-genned worlds and embark locations.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/category.php?id=14

edit : hurr hurr I iz linkin!
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 02:25:04 am »

I have a site here.
It could be 6x6, or maybe even 5x5, it has a brook, flux, magma pipe and pool, nice cliffs, gabbro, tons of trees, warm climate (no winter), joyous wilds (giant eagles and unicorns).
How do I paste in worldgen data? Where do I find it to put on the forum, and similarly how do I use others' info?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 11:15:02 am »

There's a file under the init section marked as 'world_gen'. If you paste the string of lines someone gives you into that above the first file, it'll use that for the next generated world.

Example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's for my current fort, which has a magma pipe, flux, a chasm, an above-ground river, an underground river, and sand, with no aquifer.

Alternatively, if someone uploads an entire zipped region folder, that contains the world and a current save. I'd do that with mine, but don't have the time to wrangle with rapidshare right now.
Plus, the fort is well established now.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 12:22:11 pm »

Da wha?

You're seriously mistaken about what that does.

I've found that if I use Reveal on an embark, if I try to use the same site with a proper starting party and I'm not using a seperate folder, there will be no HFS after my scouting abandonment.  That might be what he means.