Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Do you still avoid digging out 7x7 areas?  (Read 7576 times)

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you still avoid digging out 7x7 areas?
« on: July 23, 2009, 01:13:41 pm »

Because I do. Old habits are hard to break, I guess, and I got comfortable with some shapes back in the 2D version that I still use a lot. Even though I could dig out enormous caverns without supporting pillars and (probably) suffer no consequences (most of the time) for it, I still go out of my way to avoid it.

So, how about you? Do you embrace the new capabilities of dwarven mountain-architects and ignore the old 7x7 rule, or do you hold fast to tradition, in memory of all the lives of dwarven ancestors lost to cave-ins in previous versions?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you still avoid digging out 7x7 areas?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:17:00 pm »

Personally, I can't wait for the confusion when it gets added back in

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 01:22:48 pm »

I'm relatively new to DF (been playing since March) and with the warning of my friends, my first few fortresses took cave-ins into consideration. I guess they didn't realize this version took the feature out. I still build wall supports or don't dig out parts of rock to support a room, but because I like the aesthetic, and I don't restrict myself to 7x7 between supports.

Why was the feature removed anyway?

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 01:29:29 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:12:51 pm by Stany »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 01:41:11 pm »

Yeah, that. I think he also wanted to make the cave-ins more realistic, which would mean a more complex system, which will be worked on later. Hence, only a placeholder is present now.

Personally, I'd like to see something where if you were to build a bridge, you would need period supports, etc. maybe add something in for structures that emulate arches- anyway, the possibilities are pretty much endless and on the 'to do' list.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 01:50:10 pm »

Sometimes the rooms may be a little large, but I'm assuming arched ceilings. I still leave pillars in the middle of rooms that are particularly large.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 05:15:09 pm »

I also started to play the game actively just recently, althought I must say that I think 7*7 is quite small. Esspecially when digging through solid rock.

Wardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 05:41:09 pm »

I started playing in 3d, and though I don't follow the 7x7 rule, I do leave columns for very large rooms, especially if they're stacked over z-levels, as in a building, and more so in soil layers, especially the layer just beneath the surface.

It just looks wrong without any support.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 06:35:42 pm »

Well, when I'm doing something dwarfy, namely, mining out entire levels of a mountain to drop it on a siege, I find that large clefts appear that I didn't dig.
(Which reminds me. I need to try this in d13)

I wonder if that's part of 'oversized cave in' code, or just DF trying to simplify the task.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 07:05:23 pm »

I'm another relative newbie, and whack out chambers with wild abandon. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the cave-in threat added back, if the danger size was upped a little higher than 7x7.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Tael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 07:21:31 pm »

Eh, if only there were not any 5x5 workshops; I'd be fine with him implementing 4x4 cavein trigger size.
Sure, stockpiles would lose a fraction of their storage size (1 square per ~16?)

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 07:25:12 pm »

I use a 7x7 to house my Trade Depot.

And my stockpile floor usually has one massive room taking an entire z level mined out.

Richard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 07:39:52 pm »

heh, I'm a newbie with the 3D version and have still been digging out 6x6 areas.  so no limit now eh?  good to know.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 08:41:38 pm »

Well, I'm boned if that's reintroduced, given my propensity to make huge areas for my stockpiles.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 08:50:06 pm »

Well, luckily that 7x7 rule isn't implemented for my game, I have a 40x40x2 dug out without any supports. It's my main dining hall that I made.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4