Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there night?  (Read 969 times)

Saer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Axeman
    • View Profile
Is there night?
« on: July 23, 2009, 01:06:23 pm »

I am not sure, and I always wondered this...
I see dwarves go to bed at the same time, but not all of them, and almost as if they did it on shifts.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there night?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:09:01 pm »

they go to bed when they're tired. As creatures of the underground, the concepts of 'night' and 'day' have little meaning. They just switch between 'too drunk to stay conscious' and 'not drunk enough'.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 01:11:56 pm »

They've either had too much to drink, or too little to drink, I forget how it works.  In any case, they haven't had exactly the right amount of alcohol.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 01:13:09 pm »

Needs alcohol to get through the day. Likes to smoke to look cool.

Saer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Axeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 01:16:55 pm »

So there is no night?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 01:21:43 pm »

Not in Fortress mode, it passes too quickly.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 01:40:04 pm »

Yeah. There's a day/night cycle in fortress mode but you don't get to see it visually and it doesn't affect your dwarves' behavior, so it might as well not exist.

It was discovered when Toady commented about twilight squalls powering windmills in a bug report.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 03:15:52 pm »

(You almost make that sound as if it was a surprise to him!)

I see dwarves go to bed at the same time, but not all of them, and almost as if they did it on shifts.

I believe it's based on a dwarf's profile - how excited they are about working and finding work, about how active they are, about finishing the job they're on (instead of quitting half-way through), maybe some other things.  Then they take the sleep they need when they feel they need it.

If a single wave of dwarfs (your first 7, or a migrant wave of 20, or whatever) are all generic (no relevant traits), they'll all crash out at the same time - 7 dwarfs (or 20!) trying to find beds at the same time.  But if you have a wide spectrum of activity etc, you might not see half going to sleep at once.

After a few sleep cycles, the tiny differences start to add up and balance out over the population, until, on average, only - mmmm, maybe 1/8 (1/10?) of your dwarves will be asleep at any one time.  Important when you're still using barracks, or if you're trying to skimp on bed-making.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 04:27:15 pm »

I think toughness also has an impact on how much sleep they need, though I could be wrong. I really hope that agility has no impact, but wouldn't be surprised if it does, since it speeds up everything else that dwarves do.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 05:06:10 pm »

A really quick nap.   ::)