Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: So, why is the Bay12 Dwarf Fortress website still so terrible?  (Read 6047 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: So, why is the Bay12 Dwarf Fortress website still so terrible?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 08:03:45 am »

Who needs promotion when you have a cult fan base?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 08:05:51 am »

Because we're kinda tapped out?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 08:09:38 am »

Why does everyone feel that they're required to pick apart every little thing related to DF?

It seems to come from the notion that this is a community-developed game. Which, while arguably valid, manages to ignore that it is not "our" game. It's his game.
I really don't know what you guys are talking about. Sorry some people want discuss something on an Internet forum, I guess.  ???

Just three points for the OP:
-A constructive propositions needs an input: what would you like?
-If you wan't a change to be esaly accepted propose your help! If some interested fun can do a page wich Toady likes i don't tink he would reject it. (and HTML is easy to do)
-Please, don't think about flashing menus, or even image made ones, or javascripted events. those are so unusable in a textual only browser ... and i use one to see DF page frequently.(don't think i am the only one)
No I don't have any extra awesome website template laying on my desktop and no I'm not a web designer, but maybe we can hear what other people's take on the matter is and possibly get the ball rolling towards a better solution.

Heck, in Internet terms, Retro would be "Snakes on a Plane" territory.  The 90's are downright Medieval.
This was when you posted. Right now, I'd say the 90's are starting to look Late Roman.

Seriously, I understand the sentiment behind wanting to keep stuff you have memories attached to, however if a website has no redeeming qualities whatsoever except for "But it's the old one we know and cherish so much!" then it's time to let go of what I can only assume used to be a temporary, so-bad-i'll-try-to-make-it-look-ironic hack. Sorry if I'm harsh, I don't mean to hate on a website that has served well over the years, but it's ok to move on.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 08:17:18 am »

The bay12 front page isn't too great, I give you that. But I think the DF homepage is fine as it is. Easy to navigate and easy to read.

Pretty much this...

A nice sidebar for the home page wouldn't be out of place, but what's the point.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 08:26:33 am »

A nice sidebar for the home page wouldn't be out of place, but what's the point.
NO. Sidebars are annoying as hell.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 08:30:44 am »

I like the site. Seriously. It's more pleasing to the eye than the Armok I days, and easily navigable.

I don't think Bay12 needs to put effort in promotion.. not yet. DF isn't even complete yet, right now, the whole 'community' consists of alpha testers who found out about DF via word of mouth. Don't need much more than that, well, unless they need much more donations.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 08:36:53 am »

... unless they need much more donations.

Maybe I am too much money oriented or I have small faith in this comunity, but I do not get how Toady manages to get enough money to buy food.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 08:39:02 am »

I don't think Bay12 needs to put effort in promotion.. not yet. DF isn't even complete yet

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 08:47:24 am »

I don't think Bay12 needs to put effort in promotion.. not yet. DF isn't even complete yet
The developers survive on donations. More people means more donations. More donations means happier dwarves.
A decent website is not promotion. It's a website people without a fetish for Geocities web design can navigate comfortably and not apprehend with confusion.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 08:52:17 am »

Toady is living from making DF, right? So luring new buyers (or donors in this case) should be one of his priorities.

It should be a priority in only two cases:  (1)  If he is unable to live off of what he is currently receiving (based on his standard of a decent living, of course).  (2)  If an ever-increasing profit margin is a priority for him.

From what I've seen of his monthly reports and from things he says, I suspect that neither is applicable.  He is sufficiently comfortable with what he is receiving right now, and he is far more interested in being free to focus on whatever he wants than he is in increasing his profit.  He doesn't operate his miniature company according to typical corporate models, and I think most of us here thank him for that.  (I'm sure his own mental state thanks him for that!)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 08:54:25 am »

Dude, the games are far more confusing than the website. Anyone who's put off by a poor website and the "beyond quality" would probably not play DF at all. Or any other games. Heck.. if the website was all pretty, and the games weren't, I doubt the people who liked the site layout would donate :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 09:01:54 am »

But there's already a sidebar... it's just all text...  Changing it to buttons would be annoying?

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 09:06:26 am »

But there's already a sidebar... it's just all text...  Changing it to buttons would be annoying?
Oh opps. I have gotten side bars confused with these things.

Sorry about that...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 09:25:51 am »

"Beyond quality" refers more to the depth and attention to detail in the game rather than the graphical stuff, I guess.  I wouldn't mind a slight upgrade to the site, but I already quite like the weird frontpage logo.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 10:53:43 am »

Of course, the real answer is that
BAY12 is BEYOND QUALITY!

Seriously, what else?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6