Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: So, why is the Bay12 Dwarf Fortress website still so terrible?  (Read 6018 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: So, why is the Bay12 Dwarf Fortress website still so terrible?
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2009, 02:38:07 pm »

The game won't be ASCII forever, guys

What makes you think that?

Come on now.  I want people to play my game.  When you guys get all exclusive, it's bad for me.

Must this argument happen every single time anyone so much as mentions graphics in any context?
Yes but going graphical even at this stage would be nigh impossible. Just think how much he would have to include, if anything the most likely closest to graphical df will get is going to be some kind of official tileset and toady isn't going to piss off all the ascii fans by removing it totally if he adds an official tileset is he.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2009, 03:23:34 pm »

If an official character and graphics tile set was chosen and was on by default it would make things a lot more friendly to newcomers. Then you only need to change to [Graphics]:NO in the init to go back to classic.

One of my friends saw me playing DF the other day and he thought it was some version of the matrix screen saver.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2009, 07:15:17 pm »

Except when the guy who makes that tileset goes missing and toady wants to add in some new creature or something there is going to be no graphic for it, and what does he do then? Choose a new tileset? That has the same problem down the road.

This is the reason Toady has given for not wanting to adopt graphics packs or mods etc. as 'official' many times before, and I think it's a good reason

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2009, 07:41:17 pm »

Creating a homepage befitting the quality of DF is impossible, and as it is it's nice and easy to navigate. At no point did I think "Egad! This is horrible, I have decided not to even look at the game" rather I clicked on the helpfully entitled links and followed the mind numbingly simple procedure for downloading and playing on my Mac. Anyone using the internet knows how impossibly difficult some things can be, from setting up a third party IDE to googlewhacking. The fact that I don't have to have a degree in computing sciences to find whatever I want whenever I want it is a testament to what should not change. If they want to make it pretty, so be it, but I'd rather read another Threetoe story or get another update.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]