Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: So, why is the Bay12 Dwarf Fortress website still so terrible?  (Read 6028 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: So, why is the Bay12 Dwarf Fortress website still so terrible?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 10:54:26 am »

Or bey@nd quality, depending on when you look.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 12:27:56 pm »

</Thread>

Toady will update it when he wants to.

Also, I'm pretty sure the entirety of 4chan's /tg/ knows about Dwarf Fortress, so that's a pretty large base.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 12:36:38 pm »

The website is good.
It has buttons, and you can navigate.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 01:14:57 pm »

It could be prettier (especially the main Bay12Games page), but it's functional.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 01:45:15 pm »

I don't think the site really needs improving, if the great toad however would decide to do so, please know that I could be deeply honoured if I could contribute in any way. I could probably help whit artwork and possibly more general design as well. *bows deeply*
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 02:00:02 pm »

I think it's pretty good as is, however the screenshot section badly needs updating. Graphics aren't what DF is about, but many of those screenshots are from the 2D version. We need pictures of things like magma pipes, chasms, advanced fortress layouts and waterfalls. Anything that shows off the incredible depth of the landscape.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 03:11:12 pm »

I think it's pretty good as is, however the screenshot section badly needs updating. Graphics aren't what DF is about, but many of those screenshots are from the 2D version. We need pictures of things like magma pipes, chasms, advanced fortress layouts and waterfalls. Anything that shows off the incredible depth of the landscape.

I see what you did there....
---------

I think the websites are fine.  Functional, navigable, but ugly, perfect for DF at this stage I think.  Of course, Toady will do whatever he wants to....

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 08:16:32 pm »

I received a caustically sarcastic message from the OP apparently deriding me for being rude by not sharing his opinion that everything Toady does requires fan input.  I myself disagree, and think it's pretty presumptuous to think that more or less saying 'your website is terrible, you should make it better, it doesn't need to be flashy though, just not painful on the eyes' is particularly constructive, or going to engender much support from the community or Toady himself.

Regardless, I don't really think the site's lack of Web 2.0 sensibilities is hurting anything.   Considering that it exists mostly as a place to read dev updates and download the game, it doesn't need to have cascading style sheets and javascript widgets.  Most of the meat of the community is on the wiki and forums, the latter of which Toady went through the trouble of overhauling quite recently.

Feel free though, to compare Bay12's site with www.nethack.org , www.adom.de , www.dungeoncrawl.org , www.ivan.sourceforge.net or comparable games in the roguelike family tree.   

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 08:44:04 pm »

Yeah, the OP does seem a bit course in what he says.  And you know what?  I look at those pages, and I see nothing wrong.  They're all pretty self-explanatory.  Now I've seen flashy web pages that I suppose might seem well-designed at a glance, if you only look at back ground, but are hard as hell to move around on and they are the only ones that look bad to me.  Plus, no one seems to really say why it looks "terrible."  Just that it supposedly does.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:48:54 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 09:15:56 pm »

You knew this was going to come. But first, look at the two offending pieces of evidence.

Of course, the real answer is that Toady and Threetoe haven't had the time to do it, as it takes an amount of time and effort they can't divert from attending to our beloved dwarves. So you could put this among the list of topics such as multicore support, the interface/graphics overhaul, etc... that are always classified as "not a priority, since it is not about gameplay".

On the contrary. Gameplay is the sum of all the experiences you go through while playing a videogame, and if you are given a "our website is intentionally terrible, just like the games we create" impression before even downloading the game, you might put off the person to the point of her not giving it even a first shot.

Or, you could give Dwarf Fortress the modern, aesthetical, befitting webpage worth of its excellency. It doesn't need to be flashy, as long as it replaces the current first look at Bay12 and Dwarf Fortress. It's not like people are going to get disappointed by the game if its graphics don't live up to a website that presents itself decently. If the first download of the game counts, then so does the first front page load. And with the popularity and publicity Dwarf Fortress is now getting, you can't keep pretending it still has the status of your run-of-the-mill alpha game.

What do you think?

It takes mere milliseconds to load these pages. I'd suffer for speed over any complex webpage any day.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 09:20:48 pm »

It takes mere milliseconds to load these pages. I'd suffer for speed over any complex webpage any day.
Seconded.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 09:26:36 pm »

Please, for Armok's sake, no Flash!

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2009, 10:20:12 pm »

I received a caustically sarcastic message from the OP apparently deriding me for being rude by not sharing his opinion that everything Toady does requires fan input.
Why don't you post your first contribution to this thread and the message I sent to you, just so we all have a clearer notion of how you are just a troll. If you don't agree that people should be discussing this subject (I return the "who are you to say" comment), then why don't you just put your money where your mouth is and refrain from contributing?

Yeah, the OP does seem a bit course in what he says.
If I seem coarse in my criticism I apologize, as it needs not be taken too seriously. I did however try to elicit some discussion and taking a stance is the first path towards that. If that kicks things around and we get some people volunteering, why not? Nobody is forced to do anything, but why not entertain the idea?

Seconded.
You are assuming any change to the page would make it sluggish or slower. This is inaccurate. A page doesn't need to be crude and simplistic to enjoy fast loading times.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2009, 10:40:10 pm »

Why don't you post your first contribution to this thread and the message I sent to you, just so we all have a clearer notion of how you are just a troll. If you don't agree that people should be discussing this subject (I return the "who are you to say" comment), then why don't you just put your money where your mouth is and refrain from contributing?

"Why does everyone feel that they're required to pick apart every little thing related to DF?"

To which you messaged me:  "Thanks for elevating the discussion. Your contribution has been duly noted!"

You can't legitimately call me a troll for disagreeing with you and the tides of people who feel the need to demand things from Toady simply because he actually tries to listen to his community.  I feel that a dissenting opinion would help the intended recipient of your rant get a more complete sense of what the community wants.  So really, you seem to be more upset that I don't agree with you than my supposed lack of contribution.   

Edit:  You try to paint me as being against this thread, when I'm indeed glad that people are discussing this issue, since most people seem to be against the idea.   Think of that what you will.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:41:57 pm by Capntastic »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2009, 11:52:02 pm »

I still haven't figured out what the OP doesn't like about the Dwarf Fortress homepage. Care to enlighten us or point me in the direction of the post I missed explaining that?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6