Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Welp, my fortress is a goner  (Read 9528 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Welp, my fortress is a goner
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 11:46:35 pm »

You gain water if you cave-in ice, just a hint.

Zchinque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 12:15:49 am »

BASTARDS. (What a strange game, the only winning move is not to play)

Crap, you just made me lose the game :(

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 10:00:06 am »

Once or twice, I thought I was going to have to end my project (or at least the story-telling part.) after an ambush or two attacking my builders, sans-military (well, a proper one at least).

Kinda a good reason I made sure my dwarves were smart enough to stop trading with elves. They always had followers of a green skin mess things up.

Other times flooding a fortress or whatever, would of course be on purpose.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 03:01:22 pm »

When I couldn't provide the materials for a mood, I forgot to seal off the workshop.

The dwarf went berserk and made a beeline for the Doomsday Lever.

75% of my fortress was submerged in magma within about 15 minutes.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 05:19:56 pm »

You gain water if you cave-in ice, just a hint.

That's what I read, but in practice it just seemed to create ice walls and ice boulders. And moving the ice boulders just made "water" the item not water the flowing stuff.

When I couldn't provide the materials for a mood, I forgot to seal off the workshop.

The dwarf went berserk and made a beeline for the Doomsday Lever.

75% of my fortress was submerged in magma within about 15 minutes.

It's the craziest dwarves that are usually the smartest.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 11:24:25 pm »

I am quite new to this game, so I have never (accidently) lost a dwarf, but if your 150+ fortress was going to hell wouldn't you be tempted to ctrl+alt+delete?

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 12:21:44 am »

No, no, not at all. You know those 150+ dwarves on your screen there? The little ones scurrying around? They have "All your FPS are belong to us!" spewing out their mouthes constantly. Let them die. Less FPS suckers means faster game. Faster=better.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 12:04:20 pm »

I am quite new to this game, so I have never (accidently) lost a dwarf, but if your 150+ fortress was going to hell wouldn't you be tempted to ctrl+alt+delete?

It's like this. When faced with choice between losing all your hard work to some malady or having to do the last season all over again, most of us would choose to go out in a blaze of epic glory.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 12:24:51 pm »

Heheh, I set up my statue garden to be a swimmer training facility, periodically flooding and draining.  Had happy thoughts from the waterfall, but the rest of the fort went south due to shabby experimental defenses.  Either someone tantrummed and broke a grate or I just screwed up in my room design, because I went downstairs for a beer and when I came back half my population had been flushed into the cistern and drowned.  Apparently their favorite way to cope with grief was to visit the statue garden/water park...
HatfieldCW cancels look after Dwarves: Get Drink.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

labouts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 12:31:15 pm »

Personally, I think the game is more enjoyable if you play with the mindset that your actions cannot be undone. Knowing that you will Savescum if things start to go wrong takes the potency out of risks. Besides, I love trying to keep my fort together as it goes to hell. If the fort survives, the scars will give it a lot more character :p.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 01:36:59 pm »

Any of you tried to cave in a mountainhome of 100+ dwarves to to the bottom level? It was Fun.

Also, Destroying Hospitals for the Old Age People, with pets, Who Have No Parents To Love Them. Had to say that. Somebody hit me.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:42:04 pm by Ottofar »

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 01:38:55 pm »

You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 02:58:44 pm »

Why not? They can be soothed by the lovely stench of burning hair.

While not a total loss, my current fort required the use of seven insane Armok-blessed(no eat, sleep or drink) miners and the removal of about 150k pieces of stone before I could start on it.

It wasn't so bad. Until I forgot about a ledge that I had left for some reason or another, which then fell down.

Into the future fort entry tunnel.
Where the liaison was.

So, now without a liaison, right off the bat, I knew things could only get better.

And of course, they did. During the removal of a level access stairway, Bim the Miner went BAM when the entire staircase fell down on him. Several others were injured, but I kept on working. This place was nearly finished externally and I could then move on to work on the towers.

Of course, things are never easy when you are a super dwarf. Especially when Itod went very unhappy, and insisted that she had to talk with the expedition leader. While tantruming. And throwing rocks and god knows what all around the place. The whole thing ended with her beating the crap out of the guy, getting better and going back to work. So I was down to three able dwarves now.

It was at the point where I had started to finish off the last layer, that the kobolds attacked. Two squads suddenly jumped on a miner, and despite the heroic efforts of a legendary miner, seven kobolds proved too much.

They were now marching relentlessly towards the bottom floor, where the expedition leader laid broken, and the other two were now very unhappy campers over the loss of their friend.

There was only one thing to do.

I finished the work extra fast, ignoring smoothing the ground level because it wouldn't matter anyway, and then, I mined open the magma pipe, from all levels.

The miner who finished the task didn't make it, caught on fire and was swept down eventually what with the torrents of magma now flooding all over the place.

And the remaining dwarves?
They kept the kobolds busy, long enough for the magma to reach the only way into the lowest level and cut off any exit.

And then, they fought to the bitter, horrible, agonizing and burning end.

So I reclaimed the place, because hey, I don't want to mine this thing out again.

The lava is flowing, and from the looks of things, it'll take a loooong time for the levels of the pipe to rise back up to it's former glory until the entire city is submerged within magma.

It's a good thing, means I have enough time to install those doors in the towers that are the only thing keeping out the magma, for fun, you know?

That and steel bridges to work as blastdoors. Obviously they are located in the level the door was broken at. If no one is close to pull it in time, TOO BAD.

It's gonna be fun until the next version comes out.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 03:34:05 pm »

My best statue garden incident was as I got sieged by orcs.  I knew they might see and shoot over the walls so I was finishing a 4-Z wall around the garden.  Unfortunately it wasn't complete... and several of my legendary dwarves who were friends with everyone were shot to death when the orcs came down the hill that was higher than the in progress walls.

I ended up having to make part of that wall 5 Z levels to make sure it didn't happen again.

Anamabir

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 09:10:17 pm »

Let's just say that having a huge central staircase with a magma pit in the middle stops looking cool when orcs with hammers and crossbows take control of it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3