Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Epic wounds  (Read 2051 times)

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Epic wounds
« on: July 22, 2009, 11:11:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
WHY. WON'T. YOU. DIE.
In this thread - epic wounds.

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
Re: Epic wounds
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:21:55 pm »

I wish I had taken screenshots of the time I let my hunter wander off with no arrows from the get-go. His strength was quite low, but he was agile like none other for some reason. As I watched, the first animal he came upon was struck unconscious as he battered it for two solid minutes, turning up more body parts injured than I knew a wolf could have.

He's one of those dwarves that you remember the name of.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 11:36:16 pm »

That's not actually much damage. The progression of wounds is such that a moderate (dark yellow) is a lesser wound than a break (light yellow). Anything worse is a mangled red, or a dark grey just plain gone.

Of course, a broken head or soft tissues always amuses me. 'You broke my spleen!'

Now, if you want nasty injuries, hit a camel with a ballista, and pause right after the hit to check injuries before it bleeds out.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 11:41:59 pm »

Your kobold is mostly just badly bruised. His right knee, right hand, throat, and head are all "broken", but there's not a single mangled injury there, and usually you don't see creatures die until they have multiple mangled-level injuries. The broken throat might be enough to suffocate him, mind you.

I think my favorite set of injuries ever was Lightning the blind crossbowdwarf. There's a movie on the DFMA of him practicing archery...in a sealed room, just in case.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 05:25:27 am »

I once tossed a tax collector off a dwarf-made tower into a dwarf-made channel(What do you mean, you mandate glass on a map without sand?), 8z levels, he survived the fall, but all his limbs were mangled, both upper and lower spine broken, every bone I know of broken, heart and both lungs mangled, every single finger he had was dark yellow-red, toes were at least dark yellow, and most if not all his internal organs ranged from a light grey to red, with a kidney being dark grey(Missing completely)

That was the single most educational time I've had in dwarf fort, I never knew dwarves had that many things that could break.

Besides that, I've send a speardwarf up against an axegoblin in the arena, and after some waiting I noticed the goblin didn't die. So I check the speardwarf's inventory...No spear, did he forget to pick up a spear and using his dabbling wrestling skill? I check the goblin's wounds, a broken lower body and..Extreme pain?(Or normal pain, not sure) I then check his inventory.

Steel spear(Stuck in pancreas)
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 05:35:20 am »

I once tossed a tax collector off a dwarf-made tower into a dwarf-made channel(What do you mean, you mandate glass on a map without sand?), 8z levels, he survived the fall, but all his limbs were mangled, both upper and lower spine broken, every bone I know of broken, heart and both lungs mangled, every single finger he had was dark yellow-red, toes were at least dark yellow, and most if not all his internal organs ranged from a light grey to red, with a kidney being dark grey(Missing completely)

In other words, a bloody pancake... actually I'm surprised that he didn't explode into his component pieces from that.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 05:47:24 am »

I think my favorite set of injuries ever was Lightning the blind crossbowdwarf. There's a movie on the DFMA of him practicing archery...in a sealed room, just in case.

Ditto. His nickname is the best part about it though.

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 06:05:10 am »

I wish I had screenshotted one of my dwarves from my superdwarf project. A dragon set him on fire, and ripped out his lungs. He won.

He died 3 days later from suffocation. That's right, mangled arm, mangled organs, was ON FIRE for a while, and he dies from lack of lung.

Garfblarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 06:54:46 am »

I had a dragon bee-line to the entrance of my fortress, until he smelled a carefree champion wrestler dawdling around- and adjusted course right for the lone dwarf. This dwarf turned out to be a badass, as the dragon didn't get a single hit in. The dwarf knocked him unconscious, stunned him, stunned him again, stunned him again, and finally choked out the dragon.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 11:20:58 am »

I once had a dwarf who was missing his right leg at the hip, left leg at the knee, right arm at the shoulder, and his left hand.

He was also blind, had brain damage, a broken spine, and a red lung.

After a few years in bed, his info screen said this:

Urist McVegetable is getting used to tragedy.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 12:19:17 pm »

I'll always remember the first time I learned that arrows stay in dwarfs until you claim them:  My hunter found an ambush out in the weeds, and did an admirable job of holding them off while the sheriff and her dogs got out there, but he wound up incapacitated.  He languished in bed for a year or so, everything healed up except his leg wound, then got a mood and dragged himself to the workshop and whipped up a very nice leather glove with a picture of him getting shot on it.  I looked around on the wiki and forum to find out if he could be cured (legendary leatherworkers are handy to have, after all) and learned about the inventory thing.  Bada-bing, iron arrow.  I like to imagine that the guy got so pissed at my medical noobery he stitched his own diagnosis onto that glove.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 12:27:04 pm »

Here's the link, for those that have never seen it:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-24-lightningtheblindcrossbowchampion

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 01:16:03 pm »

I remember I watched that video once before I'd ever played DF and had only lurked around the forums and read boatmurdered and I had no idea what it was. Now that I understand it that video is absolutely amazing. Anyhow, you might call this cheating but in adventure mode with careful wrestling you can make someone entirely covered in red wounds with careful limb breaking and hammering.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 01:17:41 pm »

It might not be so uncommon, but I had a dragon show up missing most of its internal organs.  I'm guessing if I hadn't trapped it, a few pokes from my speardwarfs would have deflated the sucker.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 01:19:44 pm »

I've got a Ranger at home that's missing both Hips and is nursing a broken right arm.  I'm pretty sure he'll never wake up again.

Edit:  His Throat and Arm are both mangled, everything below the waist is gone and his back is broken.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 05:05:15 pm by Granite26 »
Pages: [1] 2