Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 620812 times)

stew_mcgruff

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.4.2 10/26/09 see first post)
« Reply #465 on: November 12, 2009, 10:26:10 am »

Having some problems getting started.  I'm running df version 40d16 and dt linux alpha R296.  It starts fine, but when I try to connect to DF, I see this in the trace:

In the end, nothing is ever loaded.  The status bar in DT remains "not connected" and none of the buttons are active.

Suggestions?
It looks like you're not running from the directory it came in. Since base_addr == 0 in the log. It can't find the config files. Try cd'ing into the directory you untarred and run it from in there.

I was running it from that directory, if I run it from outside that directory, it tells me it can't find "./bin/DwarfTherapist" and just stops.  However, you may be on to something with it not find the config, I moved the config I expect it to be using:
Code: [Select]
mv etc/memory_layouts/linux/v0.28.181.40d16.ini etc/memory_layouts/linux/v0.28.181.40d16.oldAnd I got the same result.

cyclotis04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 14, 2009, 03:15:32 am »

Could you count them as 50(ish) while sorting them, and just not show it? It doesn't make sense for Dwarves with low scores to be sorted so that they are considered higher than Dwarves without the trait active.
It works that way in 0.4.2 doesn't it? I know I fixed that just can't remember I did before that release.

No, it definitely counts any number higher than no number shown, in 0.4.2 (and the auto-update says I'm up to date.) I'll look forward to it in the next release.

Also, Migration waves are sorted alphabetically, which works fine for the first 9 waves. but after that, the teens are sorted before 2, the twenties before 3, etc. Maybe just add a leading 0 to single digit numbers?

Keep up the great work!

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 18, 2009, 04:38:44 am »

I've noticed a bug.

Therapist suddenly wipes all the nicknames of my first seven (second wave is immune to that).
No correlation with the way i make nicknames - in the game or through the Therapist - the ruselt is the same in one moment even if i don't press "commit changes" button.

Don't know what to think.
Finis sanctificat media.

mj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 19, 2009, 04:31:30 pm »

Just a quick "Thank You" note.
I don't think I've said it yet, and as I just started to pick and seriously play DF again with friends <maantodwarf.blogspot.com>, I've been using DT now for the first time.
Good stuff! Thanks!

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 19, 2009, 05:03:03 pm »

I haven't been able to get Dwarf Therapist to run at all. Every time I try, it tells me that the application configuration is incorrect. I've tried multiple versions and the error message is always the same.

edit: nevermind, I updated my .NET framework and it runs fine  *feels like an idiot* -.-

Strange, as I don't use any .NET stuff. Are you sure you're using *this* tool, and not Dwarf Manager?

Microsoft now installs the VC runtime as a side-by-side assembly (in the \Windows\WinSxS folder), meaning you can have more than one at a time.  For example, my multiple VS service packs have left me with *4* separate copies of msvcrt.dll.  If you're using VC++ 2005 or later, then you're building against one of those SxS versions, and that *exact* version needs to be on the system to run your code.  (There are ways around it, the DDK does it, but it's pretty ugly.)

The .NET install is just one of the few ways to automatically get the correct versions of the runtime in the right places.

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 19, 2009, 05:14:27 pm »

Greetings. I have been working the past few weeks on a replacement for DwarfManager. Not that DM isn't awesome, but I really wanted to try adding some new features myself. And I figured C++ would be a better platform for eventually getting this working on OSX and Linux. So I went with C++ and Qt for the platform. The source is open, and I hope some enterprising Linux/OSX hacker can help me with getting those versions working in the future.

I'd be more than happy to help with this.  I've gotten DwarfManager to ready in dwarf data from a running DF instance on Linux.  It's mostly a matter of grabbing /proc/pid/maps and /proc/pid/mem, and then deciphering the gcc binary layout.  In fact, using C++ may make things easier, since theoretically the internals would be the same for both processes.

The problem is going to be writing back changes to the process.  MSVC takes a rather handy shortcut when it allocates std:string objects -- if the string is < 16 characters long, it's stored inline in a fixed char[16] following the length bytes.  That apparently includes an uninitialized std:string.  Meaning, you can write back up to 16 characters into a dwarf data blob's custom name/labor values, even if there wasn't originally one set, and it just works.

gcc doesn't do that -- all std:string data is a pointer to another char[], and if the string is empty, there's no memory allocated for it.  And trying to get another process to allocate memory for you is just insane, assuming it even works. 

At a miniumu, it should be possible to edit everything except the custom profession names; you'd have to set those in DF first, or at least set them to *something*.   I've been doing all this in Mono but the IDE debugger stopped working on me so I've been stuck for a few months.  I'll switch over to C++ and see if I have any better luck there.

(I'd suggest asking for a proper dorfAPI but I doubt it would even make it onto Toady's radar...)

--Mike

cyclotis04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 21, 2009, 04:15:48 pm »

Could you make an option to save all settings within the Dwarf Therapist folder itself? Or create a separate release that does that? Since this is how Dwarf Fortress itself works, I've started running my entire game out of my Dropbox so that I can play at college or at home. It works wonderfully - Dwarf Fortress runs exactly the same on any computer I do use, but the Therapist works like a fresh install. Thanks!

N3X15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 21, 2009, 11:27:45 pm »

Linux version doesn't build on Ubuntu Karmic.  I have libqt4-network and everything else it whines about during the failed build.

i A libqt4-network                  - Qt 4 network module   

$ make
g++ -c -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -Iinc -Ithirdparty/libqxt-0.5.0 -Ithirdparty/qtcolorpicker-2.6 -Iinc/models -Ithirdparty/libqxt-0.5.0/logengines -Iinc/grid_view -Iui -Iinc/docks -I. -I. -o aboutdialog.o src/aboutdialog.cpp
In file included from inc/aboutdialog.h:26,
                 from src/aboutdialog.cpp:25:
inc/mainwindow.h:28:21: error: QtNetwork: No such file or directory
inc/mainwindow.h:111: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘QHttp’ with no type
inc/mainwindow.h:111: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token
inc/aboutdialog.h: In constructor ‘AboutDialog::AboutDialog(MainWindow*)’:
inc/aboutdialog.h:40: warning: ‘AboutDialog::ui’ will be initialized after
inc/aboutdialog.h:39: warning:   ‘Version AboutDialog::m_version’
src/aboutdialog.cpp:29: warning:   when initialized here
make: *** [aboutdialog.o] Error 1

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 22, 2009, 08:10:00 am »

Linux version doesn't build on Ubuntu Karmic.  I have libqt4-network and everything else it whines about during the failed build.

$ make
g++ -c -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -Iinc -Ithirdparty/libqxt-0.5.0 -Ithirdparty/qtcolorpicker-2.6 -Iinc/models -Ithirdparty/libqxt-0.5.0/logengines -Iinc/grid_view -Iui -Iinc/docks -I. -I. -o aboutdialog.o src/aboutdialog.cpp
inc/mainwindow.h:28:21: error: QtNetwork: No such file or directory

It looks like there's a -I missing.  On my Gentoo system, freshly installed with KDE4/Qt4, QtNetwork is in /usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork.  Try adding that to the Makefile with the rest of the include paths...

Goinstadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 22, 2009, 07:58:19 pm »

Can I throw out a request to set multiple nicknames at once?
Dwarf Fortress is Minesweeper with attitude.  In both games you are uncovering squares and just waiting for it to blow up in your face.  At least in DF you have tiny bearded and smiling avatars to torture on your descent to fun.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #475 on: November 22, 2009, 08:26:25 pm »

Just got back into town and have a lot to catch up on, including finding a new job. DT development is going to be in a bit of an extended break until I know where my next mortgage payment is coming from.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 22, 2009, 09:23:17 pm »

good luck chmod, hope you find something fast and move up the pay scale.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 23, 2009, 12:01:09 pm »

Just got back into town and have a lot to catch up on, including finding a new job. DT development is going to be in a bit of an extended break until I know where my next mortgage payment is coming from.

What are you using to generate your Linux builds?  My first quick attempt to pull the svn trunk into Qt Creator via their Visual Studio importer didn't work so well.

--K

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 23, 2009, 01:50:41 pm »

Any chance of somehow editing values that dwarf therapist can read?

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 23, 2009, 05:37:47 pm »

Will DT run with any of the newer versions? Or is the most recent one it can use 40d13? I want to know so I can choose my version download based on this (I'm looking to get back into DF after several months and I recall DT being an incredibly helpful tool).
puppywhirrrrrrl
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 124