Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 620949 times)

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.3.2 9/13/09 see first post)
« Reply #300 on: September 14, 2009, 10:49:31 am »

I've been using dwarf therapist for a little while now... and only just thought of seeing what it would do in adventure mode... (this has been done before I'm sure)
anyway... I generated a new world and embarked as a dwarf, fired up DT and read the dwarfs in the location ... all the dwarfs have all hauling tasks enabled but that's not what was interesting ...

What was interesting was that some of the military dwarfs had Great UNKNOWN as a skill.
What could this skill be?

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #301 on: September 14, 2009, 12:20:47 pm »

I've been using dwarf therapist for a little while now... and only just thought of seeing what it would do in adventure mode... (this has been done before I'm sure)
anyway... I generated a new world and embarked as a dwarf, fired up DT and read the dwarfs in the location ... all the dwarfs have all hauling tasks enabled but that's not what was interesting ...

What was interesting was that some of the military dwarfs had Great UNKNOWN as a skill.
What could this skill be?
That's a good question. I've never tried adventurer mode, so I couldn't guess. But they had some skill id that's not in game_data.ini. I suppose some logging could be added to show which skill id couldn't be looked up, but that would require work :)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 14, 2009, 03:16:45 pm »

Getting clever with the program seems to take some skill - copying sets/grids to then modify is not perfectly user-friendly.  The game seems to have a memory of "stuff", and refuses to let go of it, even re-creating copies of deleted grids and sets (if they are deleted in the file folder, and not via the game interface.)  Will (try to) post a note re same.

I'm wondering if that changes what it takes to import/export a grid now?

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 14, 2009, 03:59:32 pm »

The new version won't let me set my children as pump operators.  Making them spend time on the screw pumps builds their work ethic and keeps them from being stolen while they gallivant in the middle of the wilderness. Makes for nice stats when they get drafted into the army.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #304 on: September 14, 2009, 04:01:17 pm »

The new version won't let me set my children as pump operators.  Making them spend time on the screw pumps builds their work ethic and keeps them from being stolen while they gallivant in the middle of the wilderness. Makes for nice stats when they get drafted into the army.
This is by design. The game won't let you do it, and DT was not intended as a cheating tool. You can edit [non_labor_professions] inside game_data.ini if you want to cheat.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 14, 2009, 05:17:17 pm »

Thanks for the prompt response, edit it I will.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 15, 2009, 05:42:42 am »

Ha!

Figured out how to export the custom grid I'd made into the new version - coolio!

Thx for the featurez upgrade!  El woot grande!

(And logged out/in, bug report working now - submitted 2 minor.)

I'm curious as to how you accomplished this - even when I got the new version to run, I couldn't bring up my old lists.  Of course, I couldn't get it to connect to DF long enough to read my Dwarves before it pops up with something along the lines of "I'm disconnected from DF."
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 15, 2009, 12:38:59 pm »

I'm curious as to how you accomplished this - even when I got the new version to run, I couldn't bring up my old lists.  Of course, I couldn't get it to connect to DF long enough to read my Dwarves before it pops up with something along the lines of "I'm disconnected from DF."

The latter is a "heartbeat" problem - but for me, that only happens when I close DF without first closing DT, a definite loss of connection.  Otherwise, it seems to maintain connection fine - if you want to contribute to the project, I'd post an issue along with the log file (at DT/log/run.txt), here:

http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/issues/entry

Copying files is not perfectly smooth, but it's not hard either - just pay attention and get it right.

The Grid Views (the "final product") are in DT/etc/views, and the Sets (the "building blocks") are in DT/etc/sets.

HOW TO IMPORT/EXPORT SETS & GRID VIEWS:

This is for Windows, but I'll bet Mac & Linux are parallel.

1) Open DT, connect to a game. The program needs to be running. NOTHING else will be done through DT! All editing will be through your Operating System (OS).

2) In your Operating System, Copy a Set or Grid View file you want to import.  (It's recommended you do this one at a time, at least to start, until you get the hang of it.)

3) Paste a Grid View file into DT/etc/views, or a Set file into DT/etc/sets.

4) Now - here's the tricky part - file names:
     4a) If desired/necessary, change the file name as your OS presents it to you. (Duplicate file names are bad, obviously.)
     4b) OPEN that file - it's just a txt file.
     4c) This is ~critical~: At/near the top of the text file, CHANGE the "name=" to match the file name!  This cannot be the same as any other "name=" name in any other similar file (set or grid view). Duplicate "name=" names can corrupt the program.  (If you never changed the file name in the original file, and/or no sim name exists in the target folder, no prob, ignore.)

5) Close and re-open DT.

6) Enjoy.

Currently (v 3.2)*, the DT program does not read the file name as seen in the OS, it reads the "name=" part.  If they don't match, you' might only see the internal DT "name=" file name, and if that is the same as an existing file name or name= file name, real problems can result. 

(* Feel like I'm on the effin wiki.   ::) )

To make things more fun, the "name=" is the original name of the file, that was given when the DT file was created - this stays with the file in the txt even if you change the name in DT.  (If you import, the program will register the "name=" the first time it sees it.) This can be a real bitch, because other files, as seen in a folder in the OS, may or may not have the same file name as "fille=" name.  Try not to go there unless you like reloading the program.  :P

So, try to give imported files a name that you've never used before, and won't use again.  True for all DT file names (within Sets and Views separately).  If you use the same name twice, ever, even if you've "changed" other (previously identical) file names, you can accidentally overwrite files. Ver' sad.  :(

(chmod knows of these problems, and is working on them. With any luck, next version this process will be smoother.)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 01:32:28 pm by Albedo »

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 16, 2009, 03:55:36 am »

Aha... I figured out moving the files in my first attempt, and never did anything involving re-naming them (so step 4 was entirely moot - without changing file names, I wouldn't have to worry about them matching up, right?).  Where I messed up was in step 1; I figured that, in order to do anything with these, DT would have to be closed.  But since I'm having the aforementioned "heartbeat" problem, I can't get it to connect, either.

I've considered contributing on google code, but I've also been a bit lazy about signing up for it.  Needing a username for something I don't plan to do much of (though I suppose that's hypocritical of me to say in a thread about a work-in-progress 3rd party program for an alpha-release game...) irks me somehow, so I'm caught in a sort of moral quandary about it.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #309 on: September 16, 2009, 11:43:51 am »

Aha... I figured out moving the files in my first attempt, and never did anything involving re-naming them (so step 4 was entirely moot - without changing file names, I wouldn't have to worry about them matching up, right?).  Where I messed up was in step 1; I figured that, in order to do anything with these, DT would have to be closed.  But since I'm having the aforementioned "heartbeat" problem, I can't get it to connect, either.

I've considered contributing on google code, but I've also been a bit lazy about signing up for it.  Needing a username for something I don't plan to do much of (though I suppose that's hypocritical of me to say in a thread about a work-in-progress 3rd party program for an alpha-release game...) irks me somehow, so I'm caught in a sort of moral quandary about it.
HammerHand, so you're getting the heatbeat message of disconnect even when it reads correctly the first time? Can please post a bug relating to this? Also when you attach the logfile run DT with the '-trace' argument to spew even more crap into the log.

RE Contributing: Come on man, it's fun! All you need is a google account. Gmail etc... And I thought getting people to make sourceforge logons was hard :)

@Albedo: Thank you for the detailed instructions. Sorry it's in such a state right now. I was in a rush just to get the config system working at all so that people could customize. Would you mind posting some screenshots of some of the grids you've made? I'm always curious to see the constructs of other minds.

Shadowex3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 16, 2009, 11:18:33 pm »

I can't change any labors for random dwarves now, even dwarves within a given custom profession are locked. The old version still works fine. Old mayday 40d (no #).
Quote from: Hectonkhyres
I'm imagining crazed dwarves doing profoundly weird things. Urist McNutcase has developed a compulsion to jam anything colored blue up his anus, or alternately other peoples anuses
Quote from: Durt101
Erith Zasitshovith, Cat(Tame) cancels store item in stockpile: Too injured.
"Yay! Mouse! OH GOD, WHERE ARE MY HANDS?! OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE HE- Oh. I'm a cat. Right."

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 16, 2009, 11:38:14 pm »

Here ya go...

I set them up to make sense for me, for how I play and think about my dwarves - especially in the starting years. (I might decide to have a "mature fortress" view that I switch to, but this works for the first few year at least.)

The cell size I use (16 pix) doesn't allow me to see the whole Labor screen - you can see how much of the names I had to cut off to see the end - so I put what I consider important at the beginning.  (I've also considered just breaking "labor" into 2 parts, the "important" and the "not so much", but that's still percolating.)

Labor:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(edit - breaking this up into 2 posts for ease of viewing, to use the slider)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 16, 2009, 11:40:44 pm »

(continuing...)

Some of the colors lean toward the DF skill/dwarf colors, and some just make sense to me. (like the dark green for the "outdoors" skill set, or the red(ish) for the metal set.)

This is basically set up around my approach to the game, which is "building".  Mining/engraving first, two things that I trade around a lot.  Then the white and green are my "CE" mix, my Civil/Combat Engineers - I usually have a sizable percentage of my dwarves with this mix (here, 2 out of the starting 7, in the middle) - Mason, Mech, Woodcutting (so all carry axes, and all go outside at once if/when it's time to cut wood), Plant Gathering (with axe in hand!), one with Architect.  My outdoors/axe/masons.  They train wardogs, and the red skills (not labors, not selectable) are their standard combat mix. 

Then I move to Crafts & Metal, and then down thru Farmer (brown) & Hauling (safety orange).  After Hauling is what I call my silver "Service" set - stuff dwarves do (if rarely) for the general good of the community.  On my monitor, I can usually see just to "Weaving" without sliding the bar, which is starting the "I don't really monitor this" part of the skills - turn 'em on, let 'em run, hope for the best.

Hauling is laid out as: Farmer hauling,| general hauling | strong/special hauling.   I laid it out so "Animal Hauling" is in the service color, just to set it apart - one that isn't part of the others, in my mind.

"Peasant" set at the end, followed by a 2nd Happiness (more to signify the actual end than as a 2nd reference - takes a 2nd "Happiness" w/ a slightly diff name to get it in there a 2nd time.)

I put Spacers (most medium grey, 1 pixel wide) in any set that was over 5 wide, just to improve visual scanning.  I also put a dark grey Space at the end of every set - no matter how I mix them around, again it helps divide them visually.

Military:

Happiness first, again -  don't want to recruit someone who's on the breaking point if I can help it. Faint Spacers to highlight Wrestler and Marksdwarf, the rest is open. (And I really never use Mace.)  The green is, again, my "CE" mix, the ones I expect to find outside, or nearby to there.  Siege Operator is repeated because I can, and Swim because it fits nowhere else better.

Social:
Yep.

I suppose I can upload the files if anyone really wants, tho' I'm not sure where I'd host them for download.  (If anyone wants 'em, recommend a site.)

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 11:46:18 pm by Albedo »

Kale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 17, 2009, 03:57:10 pm »

I can't change the professions on my clerk, I have to go into her pref-labors screen and it is getting annoying... any way around this?

pugi

• Bay Watcher
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 17, 2009, 04:33:31 pm »

In the game_data.ini is a section called [non_labor_professions].
Remove the lines with the labors you want to be able to change with Dwarf Therapist.

So in your case you would need to remove the line:
59   = Clerk

And i think Administrator and Trader should be removed from there... and maybe some others, i am not sure :D
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 124