Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 620992 times)

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.3.1 8/19/09 see first post)
« Reply #225 on: September 04, 2009, 12:46:52 pm »

Why can't you put msvcr90.dll in the local directory? I thought all windows programs will search the local directory (same dir the executable is in) as a library path first before looking in the windows dir...

LN
Because of the windows side by side setup (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa376307(VS.85).aspx) It uses manifests to locate needed DLLs to support keeping several different versions of DLLs on the system at the same time. Yes it's a bit of a clusterfuck. I think the best solution is recompiling out those dependencies.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 05, 2009, 10:33:56 am »

Just want to say that I love Dwarf Therapist. A really handy tool to have. Thumbs up.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #227 on: September 05, 2009, 11:18:26 am »

Just want to say that I love Dwarf Therapist. A really handy tool to have. Thumbs up.
That's a nice way to start the day. Why thank you, sir.

Also, I am very close to having a working Linux build that runs on d15 for linux. If anyone is interested in testing this super pro VERY ALPHA build, please PM me for a link. It's not ready for heavy use, and string writing (names, custom professions) isn't working yet. However it can load your dwarves and set labors.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:02:43 pm by chmod »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 05, 2009, 04:11:46 pm »

Depending on your estimation for a d16 version I might be tempted to alpha test :) I basically find df unplayable after a certain point without something like this.

Donated to wonderful project, enjoy. :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Moody

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 06, 2009, 10:24:11 am »

Hey!

This manager is great :) I just started DF earlier this week - so still really getting into it. One thing I think would be rather good with this is the ability to sort/group dwarves by immigration wave. Or, better yet, the ability to create your own groups. Not sure if this has been suggested before - kind of way early in the morning (3:30am) and not thinking straight - but thought I should let you know before I forget :)

Sorry if this has already been suggested!

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #230 on: September 06, 2009, 11:17:14 am »

Hey!

This manager is great :) I just started DF earlier this week - so still really getting into it. One thing I think would be rather good with this is the ability to sort/group dwarves by immigration wave. Or, better yet, the ability to create your own groups. Not sure if this has been suggested before - kind of way early in the morning (3:30am) and not thinking straight - but thought I should let you know before I forget :)

That's not a bad idea... not sure if it's stored anywhere, but maybe there's a way to find out how long a dwarf has been at your fortress?  It'd definitely be a practical sort option, so you could assign jobs to all the new immigrants without accidentally messing up the job settings on any of your older dwarves.  Currently I set all the new immigrant's professions to "NEEDS JOB" in Dwarf Fortress, then switch to DT to assign them their actual jobs.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 06, 2009, 11:18:01 am »

That would be awesome indeed, though I'd be surprised if DF actually stored immigration info. Being able to save custom fields like that would be almost as good though (better, actually).

I also want to send a little praise to the developer. There's a lot more on the screen than there was in DM, so sometimes I get a little confused, but the functionality! Oh the functionality!

Loving this.
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 06, 2009, 11:35:57 am »

Currently I set all the new immigrant's professions to "NEEDS JOB" in Dwarf Fortress, then switch to DT to assign them their actual jobs.

I set a * after my current dorfs profession (like Crafter* and useless*), so i can always see if it's someone i have assigned a job to, or just some random dude. :3

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #233 on: September 06, 2009, 01:23:08 pm »

Depending on your estimation for a d16 version I might be tempted to alpha test :) I basically find df unplayable after a certain point without something like this.

Donated to wonderful project, enjoy. :)
Thank you sir! You keep the gears of open source software turning!

I have a copy of d16 on linux sort of working if that's what you mean. The current state of the linux client goes like this:

1) Wow some guy made a linux client, cool
2) Hmm I don't have over 50% of the libs he used
3) Well I convinced the library loader that these .so's will work so at least it launches
4) Hey it read my fort!
5) Hey it corrupted my fort!

So I will most likely have to get some more folks testing and a whole lot more debugging output before it reaches the same maturity of the windows version. However I think I have mostly nailed reading/writing to the game, I'm just going to have to make a separate scanner tool to find addresses.

Hey!

It's been mentioned before, but I don't know of any differentiators put on dwarfs for this purpose. I could add a sort by appearance, but it wouldn't group by wave. It would just group by the time the dwarf got there. Personally I set nicknames on dwarfs as they show up. So if the second wave appeared with 6 new guys they would have names like so...
"B1 Ted", "B2 Nancy", etc... So it's obvious when a new wave shows up. I will keep this feature in mind in the future, and you may want to go open a ticket for it on the project page to ensure it doesn't get lost in this thread.

That would be awesome indeed, though I'd be surprised if DF actually stored immigration info. Being able to save custom fields like that would be almost as good though (better, actually).

I also want to send a little praise to the developer. There's a lot more on the screen than there was in DM, so sometimes I get a little confused, but the functionality! Oh the functionality!

Loving this.
Thank you njero! I have tried to bury away some of the complexity, while allowing the curious users to discover everything the tool can do. I was hoping more people would be sharing their exported custom professions, view, and sets by now, but again, that is advanced functionality that I should do a better job of advertising. Maybe built-in docs, or startup tip of the day sort of things.

Guhndahb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 06, 2009, 01:48:45 pm »

I was hoping more people would be sharing their exported custom professions, view, and sets by now
I was looking for exactly that.  I'm very new to DF (started yesterday!) and was searching for that as I'd like to look at how various people have set up their custom professions. 

While there's obviously no one "right" way, I would suggest that a very basic set of custom professions for newbies like myself would be a good thing to include with the app.  This will not only aid newbies but also make it more likely that once we get more experienced, we'll share our own custom professions using the export facility since we are already familiar with it.

Thanks for the excellent tool!

spacemonkey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 06, 2009, 02:56:12 pm »

When I click the 'Read Dwarves' button, nothing happens, anyone else get this problem?

EDIT: my bad, had two copies of the game running.

This program is great, thanks.

Moody

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 06, 2009, 06:22:02 pm »

I will keep this feature in mind in the future, and you may want to go open a ticket for it on the project page to ensure it doesn't get lost in this thread.

Project page?

I'm not sure where that is...

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 06, 2009, 06:45:58 pm »

Quote from the first post in this thread. Seriously...
PROJECT PAGE & DOWNLOADS: http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/

Guhndahb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 06, 2009, 09:19:53 pm »

I was able to solve the issue with DT finding the HWnd of explorer.exe instead of DF on my XP SP3 system.  Essentially, it will find any window with "Dwarf Fortress" as the window title.  So if you have Explorer open to a path that has "Dwarf Fortress" in the title, it can (and usually does) see that instead of the DF.  To solve, just rename the folder to DwarfFortress (no space) and it doesn't trigger on that.

I assume this is not the problem the Vista folks are having since it sounds like that's more insidious, but it may help those few of us with issues on XP.

On the code side of things, if DT is using FindWindow(), then it could probably be adjusted to search by Window Class as well as Name to resolve this, but perhaps that's not an option because of various versions of DF, not all of which may use the "OpenGL" window class (I haven't checked, I'm new here).  Of course, if there were only two or so possibilities for the Windows version, both could be checked.

Edit: Note that I did not check the source code to see how it is handling finding the handle, so it may be using an alternate method like EnumWindows() or even some method with which I'm not familiar.  I was just making the FindWindow() comment offhand.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:26:05 pm by Guhndahb »

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #239 on: September 07, 2009, 12:51:36 pm »

I was able to solve the issue with DT finding the HWnd of explorer.exe instead of DF on my XP SP3 system.  Essentially, it will find any window with "Dwarf Fortress" as the window title.  So if you have Explorer open to a path that has "Dwarf Fortress" in the title, it can (and usually does) see that instead of the DF.  To solve, just rename the folder to DwarfFortress (no space) and it doesn't trigger on that.

I assume this is not the problem the Vista folks are having since it sounds like that's more insidious, but it may help those few of us with issues on XP.

On the code side of things, if DT is using FindWindow(), then it could probably be adjusted to search by Window Class as well as Name to resolve this, but perhaps that's not an option because of various versions of DF, not all of which may use the "OpenGL" window class (I haven't checked, I'm new here).  Of course, if there were only two or so possibilities for the Windows version, both could be checked.

Edit: Note that I did not check the source code to see how it is handling finding the handle, so it may be using an alternate method like EnumWindows() or even some method with which I'm not familiar.  I was just making the FindWindow() comment offhand.
Ahh that makes more sense. I am using FindWindow(), and am not a windows programmer at all, so I just took the first example I could find and ran with it. Using something more fool proof would be good. Porting it to use enum processes would be a good idea for sure. I'd be ever so happy if you want to send in a patch. The code is in src/dfinstancewindows.cpp::find_running_copy() :)

Here's a link to read the code if you want http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/source/browse/trunk/src/dfinstancewindows.cpp#179
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 124