Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 621016 times)

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.3.1 8/19/09 see first post)
« Reply #195 on: August 25, 2009, 04:25:01 am »

chmod, is there a reason that DT sees pump operating as siege operating under the standard VPView and has cut out siege operating and renamed pump operating as siege operating under the standard Labors view?
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #196 on: August 25, 2009, 07:51:32 am »

But yea, scanning the mem file in proc is a TON faster than PTRACE_PEEKing 4 bytes at a time. I can now attach to DF and read its mem no problem. Tomorrow I will actually begin finding DF data. I blew most of the day reading man pages since I had never done any of this on Linux.

I have not heard of hexsearch. Sounds nifty.
* peterix feels stupid now
I did it the ptrace-only way up to now. Sometimes you just can't make the connection yourself I guess. Anyway, map extraction in khazad (and later in visual fortress) will be quite a bit faster on Linux :) Thanks for pushing me in the right direction.

If you need a general area to look at, check out my memory definition file: http://khazad.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/khazad/Khazad/Assets/XML/Memory.xml?revision=138&view=markup

Hexsearch is quite good for searching for patterns. It would just have to be ported to Linux to be really usable. On Windows, it copies the entire address space of the process it searches in (at least that's the impression I get from reading its code).
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=34633.msg631520#msg631520

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #197 on: August 25, 2009, 11:56:08 am »

I come back from a little break and find this beautiful thing. Hats off to you, good sir.
Hey thanks! I always love hearing about good experiences, since people usually only report bad news :)

chmod, is there a reason that DT sees pump operating as siege operating under the standard VPView and has cut out siege operating and renamed pump operating as siege operating under the standard Labors view?
LODE BUG! That's a bug in the VP engineering set. It was mentioned before, but I didn't know in which view and didn't think to check the VP set. You could fix it via the set manager, and I'll fix it for later releases.

@peterix
Hehe, no worries man. It took me all day to figure that out, and it's not written down anywhere that I could find. But yea, PTRACE_ATTACH, read /proc/n/maps, then read /proc/n/mem. And don't forget to detach when you're done.

Here's to speed increases in all the DF linux utils!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #198 on: August 25, 2009, 12:29:49 pm »

Maybe it's just me, but the icons for happiness are rather difficult to tell apart (though in my current fort, nearly everyone is ecstatic with only a few that are less happy). Having different colors (in addition to the different facial expressions) would allow telling them apart more easily, perhaps starting at green or blue for ecstatic and working toward red for miserable.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #199 on: August 25, 2009, 12:31:32 pm »

Maybe it's just me, but the icons for happiness are rather difficult to tell apart (though in my current fort, nearly everyone is ecstatic with only a few that are less happy). Having different colors (in addition to the different facial expressions) would allow telling them apart more easily, perhaps starting at green or blue for ecstatic and working toward red for miserable.
I am not an artist :) If you have some in mind, please post.
http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/issues/detail?id=17

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 25, 2009, 03:23:10 pm »

Having different colors (in addition to the different facial expressions) would allow telling them apart more easily, perhaps starting at green or blue for ecstatic and working toward red for miserable.
Don't even try green. Green and red mixed together is very ugly, whereas blue and red work very well.
But blue doesn't exactly look happy, so a green-yellow-red color scheme would probably be the best. How many different happiness states are there? 4 or 5? Or even more? I'm pretty sure it's 4, but it should look pretty good anyways.
Edit: On second thought, Green-White-Red would probably be better because the medium dwarf would otherwise be yellow which seems to indicate danger although he's just happy; white fits much better. But I don't know if light green and light red look any good...
Well, just experiment a bit, it shouldn't be too hard. ^^
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 03:28:19 pm by MC Dirty »

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 25, 2009, 09:26:35 pm »

LODE BUG! That's a bug in the VP engineering set.

Mrah. MRAH i say. Who would have thought editing a dozen ini files by hand would be error prone.

Mendozaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 26, 2009, 01:23:07 pm »

So, I've noticed that when I start up DT and then run DF, d14, everything works pretty well.  However if I try to run DT after playing DF for a bit it decides it can't read from the game anymore, and it even happens during play.  Any idea what's goin' on?

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #203 on: August 26, 2009, 01:24:59 pm »

So, I've noticed that when I start up DT and then run DF, d14, everything works pretty well.  However if I try to run DT after playing DF for a bit it decides it can't read from the game anymore, and it even happens during play.  Any idea what's goin' on?
Are you on Vista by chance? I sometimes get an error like this on Vista64, where for some reason Windows likes to give me the handle to explorer.exe instead of DF when I ask for DF's handle. Killing explorer.exe and restarting it with task manager seems to fix it.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 26, 2009, 04:12:39 pm »

Yeah, on Vista.  That is definitely a bizarre occurrence. Hopefully there's some way you can avoid that...

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 26, 2009, 06:26:17 pm »

Great utility. Works like a gem, and is really neat and tidy. Thanks!
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.3.0 8/8/09 see first post)
« Reply #206 on: August 27, 2009, 08:13:10 am »

It was not my intention to create any cheats.
You just make them, then it's up to us if we want to use them or not.
If you're so gung ho to cheat, you're welcome to grab a C++ book :)
damn, I've no experience changing memory locations of a different process.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.3.0 8/8/09 see first post)
« Reply #207 on: August 27, 2009, 03:11:56 pm »

damn, I've no experience changing memory locations of a different process.

In Windows, you use WriteProcessMemory().  You may also need to use VirtualProtectEx() to change the permissions on the memory page.

In Linux, you use ptrace().  You also might be able to get there through /proc/{process#}/mem.

I don't know about Mac, but I would guess ptrace().

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 27, 2009, 03:59:46 pm »

Great utility, well done!

chmod, is there a reason that DT sees pump operating as siege operating ...
LODE BUG! That's a bug in the VP engineering set. It was mentioned before, but I didn't know in which view and didn't think to check the VP set. You could fix it via the set manager...

For those of us who no habla C+, could you walk us thru this fix?  I'm not finding the "set manager" to be intuitively obvious. (Might be best to edit in such on the first post, so they can be more easily found?  And then easily deleted when fixes are implemented.)

(And am I missing it, or are the "Animal Care" labor and skill not represented?)

Also, what, exactly, is the VPview, and how does it differ from labor?

As a feature request, could you add the "experience" to the Social and Military skills, when you hover the mouse over them, like it shows in Labor & VP? 

And someone mentioned it, but for moods, distinguishing between "no skill" and "dabbling" would be helpful too.  Even to be able to highlight the "highest moodable skill" or something with a button click, and/or sort which dwarves have none (sim to Legendary).

Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 06:15:59 pm by Albedo »

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 27, 2009, 09:51:32 pm »

Are you on Vista by chance? I sometimes get an error like this on Vista64, where for some reason Windows likes to give me the handle to explorer.exe instead of DF when I ask for DF's handle. Killing explorer.exe and restarting it with task manager seems to fix it.
I've experienced this too, on XP Pro SP3 with 40d11. The normal log just shows loaded 0 of 0 creatures when it happens, so I started running with the extra logging info, just need to wait for it to happen again (hasn't happened again yet, go figure). I ran into this problem with dwarf manager for awhile too, occurred near sieges until the author released fixed memory locations, but I didn't see any differences between DM's and DT's addresses in the files.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 124