Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 621012 times)

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.3.0 8/8/09 see first post)
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2009, 09:46:31 pm »

I'm just saying that when I use this with the Mayday mod (40D11) it sometimes gives me an error saying that it doesn't recognize the version, but after some tries, it goes through.

There is a similar issue with the Visual Fortress utility.

Also, the features in this definetly look pretty cool, but it's kind of confusing to understand what with all the stuff.

Oh yea, could you make a way to expand the name column? The size I use makes only part of the last name show and for some tags (or longer names), only part of the first name shows.

Hey Chmod, I don't know whether you missed what I posted or not. Increasing the cell size doesn't help. So, could you add a way to manually expand the cells? I use Times new roman at 12 pt.

Can you show me a screenshot of what you're talking about? I'm having a hard time understanding which part you're talking about. Sorry :)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.3.1 8/19/09 see first post)
« Reply #181 on: August 20, 2009, 10:12:52 pm »

Oops. I should have asked more questions. I got it partially right :) I will make the toggle between gradient and solid then. Since I doubt anybody actually wants no color on the headers.
Excellent. Thanks.

That is strange. It updates fine for me on Win7 and Vista. Are you on XP? It's the only version I don't have installed anywhere right now. But it needs some testing for sure.
Yep. Let me know if I can help testing in any way.

Right now it's only useful for the right-click menu on dwarves. So you could select 5 of them and set them all to a custom profession etc...
Ah, so you can. Cool.

I haven't actually managed to try this yet but looked at the videos.  One thing I didn't like about manager was that you couldn't see dabbling skills and this seems like it's the case with therapist too.  When trying to get all your haulers some minor skill in something for moods, this would be quite helpful.  Maybe it seemed like too much clutter.  Just a pain checking through 30 haulers to see if they have dabbling or not yet manually.
You should try the new Line Glyph skill drawing method in options. It shows dabbling just fine.
I think what Shakma means is that DT doesn't make a distinction between skills at zero and skills greater than zero but less than Novice. The latter is what DF refers to as "dabbling". Skills at zero, when they are displayed at all, are prefixed with "not", e.g. "not mechanic".
Akur Akir Akam!

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2009, 12:12:04 am »

It's late, and I've had little sleep lately. But I'm FAIRLY sure that the fortress guard isn't labeled as the fortress guard in DT. Either that or I really need to sleep.
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2009, 09:22:46 am »

Are there any reports of this bieng possibly linked to crashes? I had a save which got wierded up for some reason last night and visual fortress stopped working right (a reinstall fixed it) right before it crashed.

I was using it during that game, although I didn't save any changes, so... no idea....

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2009, 04:48:46 pm »

I'm a little confused on the skill displays, and I want to confirm something before I request another feature.

First, the wiki states that Legendary status is gained at 18,000 experience. It seems at a glance, that either the wiki is wrong, or DT is dividing experience by 10, as most of my legendary dwarves show 1,800+ experience in DT. Beyond that, I also have a legendary metalsmither that DT says has 500xp, not to mentions a legendary woodcrafter with 0xp.

In any case, I noticed this because I was curious whether Legendary+ dwarves were differentiated. It doesn't look like they are, so I'm going to submit that as a feature request, along with a bug report for the xp issue.

Just crossposting here to see if others were interested in that feature.

I also submitted a feature request earlier to have dwarves' original names displayable somewhere without deleting nicknames. It's a feature I always wanted in DM, to make it easier to manage custom name groups.

these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2009, 05:24:44 pm »

First, the wiki states that Legendary status is gained at 18,000 experience. It seems at a glance, that either the wiki is wrong, or DT is dividing experience by 10, as most of my legendary dwarves show 1,800+ experience in DT. Beyond that, I also have a legendary metalsmither that DT says has 500xp, not to mentions a legendary woodcrafter with 0xp.
Maybe it's the xp gained after the last "level"?  I.E.  Your metalsmith is legendary, and has 500xp towards legendary+1 or something similar?
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #186 on: August 22, 2009, 04:30:31 pm »

I'm a little confused on the skill displays, and I want to confirm something before I request another feature.

In any case, I noticed this because I was curious whether Legendary+ dwarves were differentiated. It doesn't look like they are, so I'm going to submit that as a feature request, along with a bug report for the xp issue.

Just crossposting here to see if others were interested in that feature.

I also submitted a feature request earlier to have dwarves' original names displayable somewhere without deleting nicknames. It's a feature I always wanted in DM, to make it easier to manage custom name groups.
The skill displays could use some work. I do plan on adding a "dwarf details" type of screen in the future that would show little leveling progress bars per skill. Timmeh is correct that the current XP shown is XP towards the next level, it is not the cumulative total. Although I think I could probably locate that number. Also I don't think levels past 16 actually do anything. I mean the game considers a level 16 and a level 20 both to be "Legendary" so I just left it alone. Although I suppose I could show the raw level number somewhere.

Showing the first names when they have nicknames might be a little cluttered, but I can make it an option.

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2009, 08:37:51 pm »

Ah, I get it.

So, where it says in the tool tip "Legendary Mason (15) 540 xp," does the number in brackets indicate the dwarf's numerical level? Legendary is the 16th level, so but I'm assuming the scale starts at zero in the code and we just add +1? If that's the case, then the current display tells me everything I need to know and is actually quite workable. Though it would still be nice to have a visual indication of when a dwarf has reached Legendary+5.

Quote from: DF Wiki
Legendary is not the highest skill level a dwarf can attain. There are five invisible skill levels above it, all called "Legendary," but providing increasing skill. We've named them Legendary+1...Legendary+5. At Legendary+5, a dwarf will always produce at least exceptional goods, whereas at Legendary through Legendary+4 superior quality is possible.

That's a pretty important difference in my mind. Especially when you're trying to craft something special from very limited resources. It's also nice to know exactly when training in a certain skill really is capped, for when you're trying to make those epic I-Can-Do-Anything dwarves.
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2009, 09:12:42 am »

It's also important if you're only training particular skills to gain attribute increases, like I do with siege and pump operators (and sometimes stone detailers).  To get the most out of that training, I want them at legendary+5 before moving them on to the next training method - assuming, that is, that they haven't already gotten the attributes I'm after (which, after hitting legendary, they've at least made pretty good progress towards).
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

kylcarte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2009, 02:50:25 pm »

What's the state of things with the native Linux DF? Success stories, anyone? I don't mean the wine binary-- for one reason or another that is unplayably slow.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2009, 03:25:03 pm »

What's the state of things with the native Linux DF? Success stories, anyone? I don't mean the wine binary-- for one reason or another that is unplayably slow.

I am working on it now actually. The good news: DT runs natively on Linux. I got it running on Ubuntu 8.04 but it should run on any modern linux. The problem now is ptrace on linux is god-awful slow. It can only read 4bytes at a time, and causes a context switch every time it's used. So scanning the normal 1KB takes about 100 times as long on windows.

If anyone is a wiz with ELF header reading etc... I would love some help with this.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2009, 08:21:06 pm »

The problem now is ptrace on linux is god-awful slow. It can only read 4bytes at a time, and causes a context switch every time it's used. So scanning the normal 1KB takes about 100 times as long on windows.

If anyone is a wiz with ELF header reading etc... I would love some help with this.
Strangely, I manage to extract a whole region map out of it in a few seconds. That's in megabytes (50M+ of raw data for a big one). I don't see where ELF headers enter the picture...

There are some other approaches:
* Have code inside the DF process. The libgraphics library is a good target for that. It should be possible to allocate shared memory from the DF process and then instruct your code in DF to copy stuff to/from it. Client apps will just have to open the shared memory and it will look like it's in their address space. This would allow for some nice things like allocating memory for strings easily.
* Hack the kernel, fix mmap so that it works with /proc/PID/mem files again. Hope that the security guys don't disable it in the next version. Actually, this is the right way to do it - it would allow directly mapping DF memory into your process without copying stuff all over the place.
* Write a custom process memory access module for the kernel. Maintain it (there was one once... can't remember the name).

Do you use hexsearch to find offsets? That might be the problem...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:22:50 pm by peterix »

kylcarte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 24, 2009, 10:00:45 pm »

Is the linux binary or source available? I can't promise much contribution, but I'd be interested in testing and helping where I can.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2009, 10:38:57 pm »

The problem now is ptrace on linux is god-awful slow. It can only read 4bytes at a time, and causes a context switch every time it's used. So scanning the normal 1KB takes about 100 times as long on windows.
Is the linux binary or source available? I can't promise much contribution, but I'd be interested in testing and helping where I can.
Strangely, I manage to extract a whole region map out of it in a few seconds. That's in megabytes (50M+ of raw data for a big one). I don't see where ELF headers enter the picture...

There are some other approaches:
* Have code inside the DF process. The libgraphics library is a good target for that. It should be possible to allocate shared memory from the DF process and then instruct your code in DF to copy stuff to/from it. Client apps will just have to open the shared memory and it will look like it's in their address space. This would allow for some nice things like allocating memory for strings easily.
* Hack the kernel, fix mmap so that it works with /proc/PID/mem files again. Hope that the security guys don't disable it in the next version. Actually, this is the right way to do it - it would allow directly mapping DF memory into your process without copying stuff all over the place.
* Write a custom process memory access module for the kernel. Maintain it (there was one once... can't remember the name).

Do you use hexsearch to find offsets? That might be the problem...
Yeah this morning I was under the impression that I would have to find the base address via the ELF header, which I have finally found to be untrue. I'm now reading the /proc/<pid>/maps file to find regions and then finding the ELF header in there via the /proc/<pid>/mem file. For some reason it's not obvious from the man pages that you have to be ptracing the child process before you can read it's mem file. I spent about 3 hours chasing my tail on that one.

But yea, scanning the mem file in proc is a TON faster than PTRACE_PEEKing 4 bytes at a time. I can now attach to DF and read its mem no problem. Tomorrow I will actually begin finding DF data. I blew most of the day reading man pages since I had never done any of this on Linux.

I have not heard of hexsearch. Sounds nifty.

It's not available yet. I have it running personally on Ubuntu, but it will be another week probably before I can release anything with confidence for linux. Donations have been known to speed me along :)

Organ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2009, 11:52:01 pm »

I come back from a little break and find this beautiful thing. Hats off to you, good sir.
The fight in the dog in your what?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 124