Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 621035 times)

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.3.0 8/8/09 see first post)
« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2009, 02:59:39 pm »

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but apparently DT allows me to change jobs for the dwarves that came with the goblin ambushes - at least when I've got them sitting in a cage.

I was wondering where those three markdwarves had come from, but I'd just missed checking a big migrant wave (was at pop 60, and then somehow I was at pop 86 - so I must have missed one wave while doing something else), so I didn't notice until I was unable to see them among the friendlies in the u menu. That's when I realized they were the dorfs in the cages.

Anyway, it's a seriously awesome tool. Lots of thanks for the work you're putting into it.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2009, 05:57:32 pm »

Is there a way to activate an entire category (for instance, all gem labors, or all hauling) with a single click?  If not, I'd recommend that feature: making it so that you can enable/disable a column set the same way as a skill.

(I regularly enable or disable hauling on certain dwarves.  Clicking 8 times per dwarf sucks.)

You mean like this? http://screencast.com/t/pCiPbRSoWNe

Coming soon in 0.3.1

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2009, 07:53:10 pm »

So awesome.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2009, 10:21:46 am »

since this is a job manager, can get the skill levels, could it be possible to rewrite the code so I could change the skill levels?

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2009, 11:04:33 am »

since this is a job manager, can get the skill levels, could it be possible to rewrite the code so I could change the skill levels?
Yes, but I won't be doing it any time soon. It was not my intention to create any cheats.

PaperJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2009, 12:18:46 pm »

It was not my intention to create any cheats.
You just make them, then it's up to us if we want to use them or not.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2009, 12:21:26 pm »

It was not my intention to create any cheats.
You just make them, then it's up to us if we want to use them or not.
If you're so gung ho to cheat, you're welcome to grab a C++ book :)

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.3.1 8/19/09 see first post)
« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2009, 08:30:32 pm »

0.3.1 released! See first post.

Video showing some new features: http://screencast.com/t/GyyibNJirnLe
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:55:44 pm by chmod »

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 20, 2009, 06:00:11 am »

What would also be nice is the ability to add or exclude custom professions.

Like, lets say that I have two custom professions assigned. One is a specialized hauler ("Builder") - only furniture and items. The other is a mix ("Carver") - Bonecrafting, carpentry, woodcarving, and bowyer.

I select Urist McTasker, and right-click, select 'Add profession(s)' and checkmark "Builder" and "Carver" and the program assigns him to Bonecrafting, carpentry, woodcarving, bowyer, furniture hauling, and item hauling.

Or I select Cog McDonothing and give him all the hauling skills along with healthcare, burial and cleaning. I then right-click on him and select 'Exclude profession(s)' and checkmark "Builder". This would deselect furniture hauling and item hauling and leave him with all of the other peasant tasks.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2009, 09:42:05 am »

I haven't actually managed to try this yet but looked at the videos.  One thing I didn't like about manager was that you couldn't see dabbling skills and this seems like it's the case with therapist too.  When trying to get all your haulers some minor skill in something for moods, this would be quite helpful.  Maybe it seemed like too much clutter.  Just a pain checking through 30 haulers to see if they have dabbling or not yet manually.

What would be really great is custom professions that turned on or off skills based on level.  Once a hauler gets dabbling armor skill, turn it off.  Once a hauler gets legendary pump operator turn it off.  Once a marksdwarf gets average wrestling, switch to crossbows.  Once a close combat recruit gets legendary wrestling switch to swords.  This is a whole other layer of complexity to professions but I know I would love it.  You'd still have to refresh therapist but that's not a big deal.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2009, 10:56:47 am »

Oh dear, it seems I wasn't clear enough in my (that was me) request for an option to "remove the shading" on the columns. It's not a big deal, by any means, but what I was hoping to do was make the headings solid-color like in the first version, not remove the color completely. It certainly does remove the shading though. :D

Also, a minor interface problem, after I toggle group of skills with the new command, the display doesn't update. It looks like nothing happens, and I only see that it has changed after I click somewhere else. It doesn't look like that's happening in your video, so I guess it's just me...

One other question, I noticed you can select a range of dwarves by dragging, does that currently have any purpose? I was hoping you could adjust all they're labors at once or something, but apparently not.
Akur Akir Akam!

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #176 on: August 20, 2009, 12:04:19 pm »

Like, lets say that I have two custom professions assigned. One is a specialized hauler ("Builder") - only furniture and items. The other is a mix ("Carver") - Bonecrafting, carpentry, woodcarving, and bowyer.

I select Urist McTasker, and right-click, select 'Add profession(s)' and checkmark "Builder" and "Carver" and the program assigns him to Bonecrafting, carpentry, woodcarving, bowyer, furniture hauling, and item hauling.

Or I select Cog McDonothing and give him all the hauling skills along with healthcare, burial and cleaning. I then right-click on him and select 'Exclude profession(s)' and checkmark "Builder". This would deselect furniture hauling and item hauling and leave him with all of the other peasant tasks.

Could this not be done by just making a new custom prof called "Builder&Carver" that contains the union of their labors? I just ask because I'd rather not clutter up the interface more than it is. I think it's getting enough new features each release that I need to start thinking about UI stream-lining. Another problem would be if you had "Prof1" and "Prof2". Prof1 has mining and Prof2 doesn't. You tell the UI to combine them, is mining active or not?

I haven't actually managed to try this yet but looked at the videos.  One thing I didn't like about manager was that you couldn't see dabbling skills and this seems like it's the case with therapist too.  When trying to get all your haulers some minor skill in something for moods, this would be quite helpful.  Maybe it seemed like too much clutter.  Just a pain checking through 30 haulers to see if they have dabbling or not yet manually.
You should try the new Line Glyph skill drawing method in options. It shows dabbling just fine.

What would be really great is custom professions that turned on or off skills based on level.  Once a hauler gets dabbling armor skill, turn it off.  Once a hauler gets legendary pump operator turn it off.  Once a marksdwarf gets average wrestling, switch to crossbows.  Once a close combat recruit gets legendary wrestling switch to swords.  This is a whole other layer of complexity to professions but I know I would love it.  You'd still have to refresh therapist but that's not a big deal.
I don't think  I'll be trying to tackle that one since it would require knowledge of a fort on an ongoing basis. Meaning scheduled refreshes and persistent tracking of dwarves. It just sounds like an absolute nightmare. After all, if DT just played the game for you what fun would it be? You can already sort your wrestlers by wrestling skill and easily switch them to crossbow in the game. I understand it's not optimal, but the logistics of remembering these rules, and writing a UI for the rules, and timing and scanning for the rules sounds like writing a trainer. I'm not totally against the idea, but I think there are other areas that could use my work first.

@forsaken1111: Have the new sets/views and custom colors helped out with the visibility for you? You got me on a crusade to make sure nobody with colorblindness would have any issues with DT. :)

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #177 on: August 20, 2009, 12:07:52 pm »

Oh dear, it seems I wasn't clear enough in my (that was me) request for an option to "remove the shading" on the columns. It's not a big deal, by any means, but what I was hoping to do was make the headings solid-color like in the first version, not remove the color completely. It certainly does remove the shading though. :D
Oops. I should have asked more questions. I got it partially right :) I will make the toggle between gradient and solid then. Since I doubt anybody actually wants no color on the headers.

Also, a minor interface problem, after I toggle group of skills with the new command, the display doesn't update. It looks like nothing happens, and I only see that it has changed after I click somewhere else. It doesn't look like that's happening in your video, so I guess it's just me...
That is strange. It updates fine for me on Win7 and Vista. Are you on XP? It's the only version I don't have installed anywhere right now. But it needs some testing for sure.

One other question, I noticed you can select a range of dwarves by dragging, does that currently have any purpose? I was hoping you could adjust all they're labors at once or something, but apparently not.
Right now it's only useful for the right-click menu on dwarves. So you could select 5 of them and set them all to a custom profession etc...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 20, 2009, 04:39:04 pm »

I'm just saying that when I use this with the Mayday mod (40D11) it sometimes gives me an error saying that it doesn't recognize the version, but after some tries, it goes through.

There is a similar issue with the Visual Fortress utility.

Also, the features in this definetly look pretty cool, but it's kind of confusing to understand what with all the stuff.

Oh yea, could you make a way to expand the name column? The size I use makes only part of the last name show and for some tags (or longer names), only part of the first name shows.

Hey Chmod, I don't know whether you missed what I posted or not. Increasing the cell size doesn't help. So, could you add a way to manually expand the cells? I use Times new roman at 12 pt.

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 20, 2009, 09:22:22 pm »

Could this not be done by just making a new custom prof called "Builder&Carver" that contains the union of their labors? I just ask because I'd rather not clutter up the interface more than it is. I think it's getting enough new features each release that I need to start thinking about UI stream-lining. Another problem would be if you had "Prof1" and "Prof2". Prof1 has mining and Prof2 doesn't. You tell the UI to combine them, is mining active or not?
Well, on the topic of cluttering up the interface - if it was a right-click menu like the new 'add all farmer tasks' or 'add all farming tasks', it wouldn't really clutter up the interface visually.

Re: Prof1 and Prof2 - it depends on what you're doing. Lets say that prof1 is mining and architecture and prof2 is just architecture.

If you add prof1 and then add prof2, then the dwarf has mining and architecture.
If you add prof1 and then subtract prof2, the dwarf has only mining because subtracting prof2 removes architecture.
If you add prof2 and then subtract prof1, the dwarf has no tasks because adding prof1 gave the dwarf architecture and subtracting prof1 removed both architecture and mining (even though the dwarf didn't have the mining task anyways).

Think of it like a Venn diagram. In this case, we have two circles - prof1 and prof2. Prof1 contains mining. Prof2 contains nothing. The section where prof1 and prof2 intersect contains architecture. Subtracting either profession will remove the tasks in that circle from the dwarf. In prof2's case, that's simply architecture; in prof1's case, that's both mining and architecture.

If I have a dwarf who cooks, brews, operates furnaces, and makes cheese (profession name: Chef), and I want a dwarf to do every farming task but those, I can add all farming tasks, and then subtract the Chef profession, and ta-da, done. (The dwarf would not gain or lose the ability to operate furnaces because it didn't have it in the first place.)

Basically, the reason I suggest this is so that we can minimize the number of necessary custom professions.

EDIT: I just thought of a way to think about the last example - I want the dwarf to have the tasks that are tasks == (farming && !(Chef)).
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 124