Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 621088 times)

Buddybud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist Alpha Release (LATEST 0.1.6 see first post)
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2009, 12:20:27 pm »

offtopic rant ahead..... :P

Shades, why would they leave a massive security hole for no apparent reason when it's very visible? Microsoft programmers aren't idiots, they are going to have protection for that.

I'll just assume you've never worked for a large corporation before. Remember that there are thousands of individuals who code. And above that you have managers and marketing idiots demanding things that either just don't work or need more time and effort than the company is willing to spend. After all nothing is a problem till it affects sales (corp philosophy 101). Just go back to the initial release of xp. It had security loop holes throughout it, some of which remain to this day. Those weekly updates aren't there so microsoft can say hello.  ::)

Goncyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2009, 04:00:51 pm »

UAC is a shit. Really, get Windows 7
I am running Windows 7.

Thanks for the response, chmod! Looking forward to the next version so I can try this out and see whether it fixes the things that annoy me about Dwarf Manager.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2009, 06:15:01 pm »

This program, unlike Dwarf Manager, is a serious contender for my one-and-only labor-management tool.  Before I made the switch to Dwarf Therapist, I used Dwarf Foreman.  Some of the layout and design choices made in that program may be valuable to you as well.

Here is a screenshot of Dwarf Foreman:

Requested Dwarf Therapist changes:
* A display of military skills, but not in the main window, as that would make it too wide for many people's monitors (inc. mine)

* Ability to narrow the side panels more (so all of the main screen can be shown at once on my monitor).  The fact that virtually all of it shows makes this program a suitable replacement for Dwarf Foreman in a way that Dwarf Manager isn't.

* Ability to rewrite labor settings even without making any changes.  If I change a dwarf's profession name from, say, "miner" to "hauler", Dwarf Foreman lets me immediately apply the "miner" labor settings to that dwarf.

* Less pastel and easier to see colors for active labors in the "group by nothing" display.

* Borders between job categories, as in Dwarf Foreman but not as bold, to prevent the eye wandering about.  At present, Dwarf Therapist doesn't make it quite as easy to pick the right labor and dwarf as does Dwarf Foreman.  But it's already pretty close and with some revisions will be better.

* Change the labor "Bowyer" to "Crossbow-making", "Armorsmithing" to "Armoring", "Gemcutting" to "Gem Cutting", "Gemsetting" to "Gem Setting", "BoneCarving," to "Bone Carving,", "GlassMaking" to "Glassmaking", "Soapmaking" to either "Soap Maker" (as in DF) or "Soap Making" (more in line with other labors), "LeatherWorking" to "Leatherworking".  Possibly other changes.

* Consider revising the order of labors within each category.  I find the order of labors within categories less easy to remember than that used by Dwarf Foreman, but I also like other parts of the ordering here more than in that program.  Perhap adopt the following order of labors?

Mining;
Wood Cutting, Carpentry, Crossbow-making, Wood Burning, Potash making, Lye making, Soap making;
<masonry, etc. - no change>;
move animal category between food and fishing categories - see below;
Furnace Operating, Weaponsmithing, Armoring, Blacksmithing, Metalcrafting;
change jewelry category background color and make it a little more vivid and distinct, change names to "Gem Cutting", "Gem Setting";
Leatherworking, Woodcrafting, Stonecrafting, Bone Carving, Glassmaking, Weaving, Dyeing, Clothesmaking, Strand Extracting;
Farming, Cooking, Brewing, Farming Workshop, Milling, Butchery, Milking, Cheesemaking (avoid sticking wood burning etc. here, partly because they don't involve food and partly because the category would get too big);
Hunting, Trapping, Animal Training, Animal Care, Animal Dissection;
<fishing - no change>
<mechanics, etc. - no change>
Stone Hauling, Wood Hauling, Item Hauling, Food Hauling, Refuse Hauling, Furniture Hauling, Animal Hauling, Cleaning, Health Care, Burial;
Alchemy

* In the picture above, notice the horizontal lines separating groups of three dwarves or professions.  They make it considerably easier to keep track of which dwarf's settings are getting changed.

* Change "Commit Pending Changes".  That's coder jargon.  Consider changing "Read Dwarves" and "Commit Pending Changes" to "Load from DF" and "Write to DF".

* Whenever I reload DF, I also have to reload Dwarf Therapist.  This isn't the case for Dwarf Foreman - there, all I have to do is hit the "Load from DF" button.

With massive appreciation for your excellent work,
Fedor
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:39:13 pm by Fedor »
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2009, 06:14:37 am »

How about MacOS version?
There is no labor helping tool for mac that works.
I could be wrong.  What would you call it when you spend that much time obsessing over something that it turns out you don't even like?
Relationships?

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2009, 11:17:39 am »

How about MacOS version?
There is no labor helping tool for mac that works.
Donate a Mac and I'll get working on it :) Til then, someone who has a mac and some programming skill is going to have to volunteer to help me out.

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2009, 02:17:35 am »

Biting my lip....but i think you guys are gonna enjoy the direction of things. Mod is doing some good work for the next release. Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 02:19:17 am by lodester »

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2009, 03:52:12 am »

Looking forward to the next version! I stopped playing DF because managing my dorfs manually has become a pain and a chore ... something which DT cures remarkably well!
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2009, 04:04:19 am »

Strange bug, I'll have to see if its reproducable but I made a custom profession of 'hauler' with nothing but hauling skills enabled. When I applied the profession to a skilled dwarf it never removed his active labors, it just changed his custom profession name.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2009, 09:12:11 am »

Strange bug, I'll have to see if its reproducable but I made a custom profession of 'hauler' with nothing but hauling skills enabled. When I applied the profession to a skilled dwarf it never removed his active labors, it just changed his custom profession name.

This happened to me every time.  Switching to a custom profession seems to add labors just fine, but doesn't seem to remove any.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2009, 09:52:21 am »

I made a report about it, so, chmod knows about that little bug. :)
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2009, 02:21:10 pm »

I made a report about it, so, chmod knows about that little bug. :)
I'm working on it :)

to track progress... http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/issues/detail?id=49

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2009, 02:28:09 pm »

Requested Dwarf Therapist changes:
* A display of military skills, but not in the main window, as that would make it too wide for many people's monitors (inc. mine)
coming soon.

* Ability to narrow the side panels more (so all of the main screen can be shown at once on my monitor).  The fact that virtually all of it shows makes this program a suitable replacement for Dwarf Foreman in a way that Dwarf Manager isn't.
Those are dockable windows. You can drag the custom professions and the pending changes windows outside the main window or just close them. You can always re-enable them via the "windows" menu in DT.

* Ability to rewrite labor settings even without making any changes.  If I change a dwarf's profession name from, say, "miner" to "hauler", Dwarf Foreman lets me immediately apply the "miner" labor settings to that dwarf.
I'm sorry but I don't really get what you're saying here. Could you elaborate?

* Less pastel and easier to see colors for active labors in the "group by nothing" display.
I am currently rewriting the column system to allow customization (this includes colors and display order)

* Borders between job categories, as in Dwarf Foreman but not as bold, to prevent the eye wandering about.  At present, Dwarf Therapist doesn't make it quite as easy to pick the right labor and dwarf as does Dwarf Foreman.  But it's already pretty close and with some revisions will be better.
This is part of the new custom column system I'm making. Spacer columns can have color and width set on them, so you'll be able to add as many as you like.

* Change the labor "Bowyer" to "Crossbow-making", "Armorsmithing" to "Armoring", "Gemcutting" to "Gem Cutting", "Gemsetting" to "Gem Setting", "BoneCarving," to "Bone Carving,", "GlassMaking" to "Glassmaking", "Soapmaking" to either "Soap Maker" (as in DF) or "Soap Making" (more in line with other labors), "LeatherWorking" to "Leatherworking".  Possibly other changes.
All of these words are sitting in game_data.ini and can be changed if you like. Granted I have been meaning to clean these up a bit to match what DF calls them, but it's been very low on my todo list.

* Consider revising the order of labors within each category.  I find the order of labors within categories less easy to remember than that used by Dwarf Foreman, but I also like other parts of the ordering here more than in that program.  Perhap adopt the following order of labors?
custom columns :)

* In the picture above, notice the horizontal lines separating groups of three dwarves or professions.  They make it considerably easier to keep track of which dwarf's settings are getting changed.
There are some new display options that should help you out with this. Currently there is already a row guide that shows when you single click a dwarf. You also have statusbar tips and tooltip.

* Change "Commit Pending Changes".  That's coder jargon.  Consider changing "Read Dwarves" and "Commit Pending Changes" to "Load from DF" and "Write to DF".
I'm not sure "Write to DF" is any more clear than commit pending changes. I don't think it's jargon because, it's exactly what that button does. But if it really bothers you I can provide the translation files and you can go to town.

* Whenever I reload DF, I also have to reload Dwarf Therapist.  This isn't the case for Dwarf Foreman - there, all I have to do is hit the "Load from DF" button.
You can always do File->Read Dwarves or press CTRL+R to reload dwarves from DF.

With massive appreciation for your excellent work,
Fedor
Why thank you!

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2009, 02:39:03 pm »

You can click it, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work, at least for me.  I also have to reload DT after restarting DF.

Oh, and great job on the program by the way.  The ability to save custom professions between forts has convinced be to move from DM to DT.  Great work!
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2009, 02:41:12 pm »

You can click it, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work, at least for me.  I also have to reload DT after restarting DF.

Oh, and great job on the program by the way.  The ability to save custom professions between forts has convinced be to move from DM to DT.  Great work!

Ahh I see what you guys mean then. Yeah if the DF instance that you originally connected to goes away, DT never tries connecting to a new one. That shall have to be fixed.

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2009, 01:04:24 am »

I must say this works beautifully. I'm running XP SP3 with DF 40d12, with the Epic Mod Age of Shadows Mod Wiles' Mod installed and I don't know why, but other dwarf managers don't want to work with my computer. This one worked the first time, and I was able to change a slew of jobs around in minutes. This could definitely use some more features, most of which you're already working on, like military skills, and could use some more polish, but for now I think it's great.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:42:24 am by Deadbeard »
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 124