Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 620564 times)

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)
« Reply #1650 on: July 27, 2010, 07:36:14 pm »

now would be an excellent time for an overhaul to the built-in system...
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Skittles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: July 27, 2010, 08:18:38 pm »

Best DF tool ever.  Thanks for making it possible!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: July 27, 2010, 09:17:34 pm »

Still, this is irresponsible. First chmod makes us all dependent on him and his DT, and then he flies away on a unicorn and leaves us with our eventually no doubt painful dependency.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

xrogaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Notoriously depraved
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: July 27, 2010, 09:55:53 pm »

Well, he's not gone yet. All he's saying is that he needs someone to keep working on this project. And for that, he needs to grant access the probie...

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: July 27, 2010, 10:08:03 pm »

Someone will step up... if not now, then when things break so hard that updating a configuration file can't fix them.

It's open source, under MIT license, one of the most permissive licenses.  (And thank you for that, Chmod.)

Improving the tool will require knowledge of the QT window manager API, but fixing it to work with a new DF that breaks it shouldn't be too hard.

And if an author chooses to make their own tool, they don't have to completely reinvent the wheel; they can use any or all of the DT source code.

Sharing or giving control of the repository to a maintainer would be convenient but not necessary.  Anyone can branch without his permission -- he's already given it by using the MIT license.

(And I offer my apologies if it should be "her permission" ... I try to not be sexist but Whorf's Hypothesis and all that.)

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: July 27, 2010, 11:39:36 pm »

(And I offer my apologies if it should be "her permission" ... I try to not be sexist but Whorf's Hypothesis and all that.)

If she was smart enough to be a good programmer, she would refer to herself as he online to avoid being harassed by the stupid. You can  call that Devek's hypothesis.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: July 28, 2010, 07:23:26 am »

Still, this is irresponsible. First chmod makes us all dependent on him and his DT, and then he flies away on a unicorn and leaves us with our eventually no doubt painful dependency.
Why do people never blame the dependent for getting hooked (doing something they know might be bad for them)?  I still don't understand that...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: July 28, 2010, 07:57:07 am »

I have knowledge of QT although not much with DF's memory layouts. If it's something get broken by an update in a way I can fix I'd be happy to try but I know I don't have the time to push improvements through like Chmod was doing.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

MrBaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: July 28, 2010, 02:13:36 pm »

I have knowledge of C++ but not of QT framework. But I'm debating about talking to chmod to taking it over.  I'm a college student so i have some free time to work on it.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: July 28, 2010, 02:22:35 pm »

QT is easy to learn.

Download QT creator and you're set. It has everything needed for c++/qt in one package.

I never could get into visual stupio, but QT creator just works.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: July 28, 2010, 05:16:58 pm »

Visual Studio + QT Designer (which comes in the SDK) and you're set. It's the environment I use for Runesmith anyway
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: July 28, 2010, 06:02:48 pm »

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: July 28, 2010, 06:18:37 pm »

What are you frigging talking about, of course it supports C/C++
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: July 28, 2010, 06:28:54 pm »

According to their own site(that link), it won't compile standard C code.

Variable length arrays are not some esoteric feature, people use them a lot. QT Creator supports C out of the box, just saying :P

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: July 28, 2010, 06:37:50 pm »

It doesn't support all of C99, neither does GCC big deal. QT Creator will be using GCC on linux and on Windows either the VS compiler or MinGW. So if it's using the VS compiler, it won't support them either and if it's using GCC then it may, but it still won't support all of C99. So your point is moot, QT Creator can't match VS as an IDE. IF you're on Linux, use KDevelop instead, much better
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 124