Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 620576 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.6 6/29/10 see first post)
« Reply #1485 on: July 13, 2010, 01:53:19 pm »

I generally take amateur based on the Latin root. As in, doing something out of love instead of in pursuit of money.

amateur
1784, "one who has a taste for (something)," from Fr. amateur "lover of," from O.Fr., from L. amatorem (nom. amator) "lover," from amatus, pp. of amare "to love" (see Amy). Meaning "dabbler" (as opposed to professional) is from 1786.

Beautiful answer, and I was just posting much the same too.  In this sense of the word, amateur is a compliment.  You're doing 'it', whatever it is, because you enjoy it a little or a lot - not because you're paid.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: July 13, 2010, 02:03:53 pm »

I never realized how tedious it was to play without Dwarf Therapist. I'm quite new to this game, but I lost track of everyone's professions after the first migrant wave.

Argh!
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: July 13, 2010, 02:07:42 pm »

We need a volunteer to post that link every second time we hit a new thread page. :P
I got this page!

Why isn't the latest version of DF supported yet?
Mapping New Versions of DF

Edit: not directed at you MiniMacker ... just having fun with this ;)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 02:10:25 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: July 13, 2010, 02:11:09 pm »

I generally take amateur based on the Latin root. As in, doing something out of love instead of in pursuit of money.

amateur
1784, "one who has a taste for (something)," from Fr. amateur "lover of," from O.Fr., from L. amatorem (nom. amator) "lover," from amatus, pp. of amare "to love" (see Amy). Meaning "dabbler" (as opposed to professional) is from 1786.

Cool, I was hoping someone would say that too; I was thinking of it but didn't have time to actually look it up and not just babble from memory.

Re playing the game without: I do all the time when I'm usin' DFterm, but I usually open up DT to go over people when I'm at the actual computer even if I'm not going to really play. The only real "flaw" in DF itself is not being able to see people's skill levels on the same screen as their labor enabling, flipping back and forth being annoying. DT mainly helps me cause I never remember who I have set to do what; or how many, or who I should turn off 'cause I just got a high master immigrant. Also I generally wait till I can use DT to deal with a 25 dwarf imm. wave :D.

Aristoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: July 13, 2010, 03:32:20 pm »

Does "Chmod cancels update DT: Has a life" sum that up nicely?

Good summary.  I'm going to drop on over to http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/wiki/Donations and let chmod that I have realized I can't play DF with 7 dwarves without Dwarf Therapist, let alone 50 or 100.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: July 13, 2010, 03:36:22 pm »

im surprised theirs not a new release out.. seeing how i gave him permission to use my unofficial release but rather was told no and to take it down

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #1491 on: July 13, 2010, 03:58:34 pm »

im surprised theirs not a new release out.. seeing how i gave him permission to use my unofficial release but rather was told no and to take it down

Wait... 

*You* gave chmod "permission" to use *your* "release" of *his* program?   :o

I'm having trouble parsing that... 

Unofficial or not, *you* should be getting permission from *him* to provide a "release" of DT.  It's one thing to post the vectors and/or the text of the memory map file, but that's about it.  As far as why a new release hasn't been made available yet, I can only say (without reading the "official" stance) that I would want to test and verify the vectors before making them official.  What we as a community can glean from the memory scans are dubious at best (from an "official" release standpoint), and chmod has the right to take his time and verify the vectors on his own before releasing anything.

Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: July 13, 2010, 04:01:18 pm »

Wait... 

*You* gave chmod "permission" to use *your* "release" of *his* program?   :o

I'm having trouble parsing that... 

Unofficial or not, *you* should be getting permission from *him* to provide a "release" of DT.  It's one thing to post the vectors and/or the text of the memory map file, but that's about it.  As far as why a new release hasn't been made available yet, I can only say (without reading the "official" stance) that I would want to test and verify the vectors before making them official.  What we as a community can glean from the memory scans are dubious at best (from an "official" release standpoint), and chmod has the right to take his time and verify the vectors on his own before releasing anything.

You dont need to preach to me release etiquette, He messaged me to take the release down which was only up to help members who dont know wtf a vector is. I did so and said its fully working using vectors listed in this thread. All I said in my previous post was that he has the vectors he needs to release a working version. Why he hasn't is what doesn't make sense to me.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #1493 on: July 13, 2010, 04:25:55 pm »

Dude you used tools I wrote to find a number. You put it in a text file. You then zipped up my work. And now I get permission to use the magic numbers you put in a text file using my tools? Oh Thank you sir!

/snark

I generally like to test new offsets fairly extensively before releasing updates. Because guess who has to fix the bugs? I release the scanner tool for a reason. So people can help themselves and others while I test and finish features for releases. I do not drop everything I am doing in my life every time Toady decides to release a version. You have tools to help yourself, and I'm glad you found them useful. But I do have a life. I am in a new management job at work, and I have very little time between that, my 90 minute commute, being married, and stuff I actually want to do. So I will release a new version, when I have the time to do it right.

Thank you for being patient.

* chmod rattles tip jar

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: July 13, 2010, 04:36:52 pm »

We need a volunteer to post that link every second time we hit a new thread page. :P
I got this page!

Why isn't the latest version of DF supported yet?
Mapping New Versions of DF

Edit: not directed at you MiniMacker ... just having fun with this ;)

Quote from: Mapping New Versions of DF
If you're quite brave and willing to get your hands a bit dirty you can try this method to add support for a new version of DF.

"Feeling brave tonight? How brave? Brave enough to do battle with hideous monsters, hm? Brave enough to sneak around dead castles in the dark with chances being the next victim... of a Dragonstrike!"

Hur hur hur. I hope you get the reference.

Also, no I am not. I'm just a mere peasant. Someone do it for me, where I will pay you no appreciation at all in return!

On another note, if I was just one year older, thus allowed to do "anything I want", I'd donate. But yet I'm only 17. Sadface. :<
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 04:39:31 pm by MiniMacker »
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: July 13, 2010, 04:54:32 pm »

dont tell us how to update ur program if we then get in trouble for.. updating ur program..

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #1497 on: July 13, 2010, 05:00:39 pm »

You dont need to preach to me release etiquette, He messaged me to take the release down which was only up to help members who dont know wtf a vector is. I did so and said its fully working using vectors listed in this thread. All I said in my previous post was that he has the vectors he needs to release a working version. Why he hasn't is what doesn't make sense to me.

Apparently, you *do* need the sermon...

dont tell us how to update ur program if we then get in trouble for.. updating ur program..

Dude you used tools I wrote to find a number. You put it in a text file. You then zipped up my work. And now I get permission to use the magic numbers you put in a text file using my tools? Oh Thank you sir!

/snark

I generally like to test new offsets fairly extensively before releasing updates. Because guess who has to fix the bugs? I release the scanner tool for a reason. So people can help themselves and others while I test and finish features for releases. I do not drop everything I am doing in my life every time Toady decides to release a version. You have tools to help yourself, and I'm glad you found them useful. But I do have a life. I am in a new management job at work, and I have very little time between that, my 90 minute commute, being married, and stuff I actually want to do. So I will release a new version, when I have the time to do it right.

Well...  Technically, he gives instructions for how to patch/update *your* installation of DT.  If you want to share your results, that's cool.  But don't repackage *his* code and "release" it, no matter what disclaimer you add to it.
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: July 13, 2010, 05:04:27 pm »

/snark

Well...  Technically, he gives instructions for how to patch/update *your* installation of DT.  If you want to share your results, that's cool.  But don't repackage *his* code and "release" it, no matter what disclaimer you add to it.

Fuck it, i tried to help people who cant do it themselves. But i give up, wait for the man who begs for tips.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: July 13, 2010, 05:46:08 pm »

/snark

Fuck it, i tried to help people who cant do it themselves. But i give up, wait for the man who begs for tips.

I will. So will you update DF to .11 or are you just going to make us wait for a man who's ONLY monetary support is tips?
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 124