Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 620511 times)

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.1 4/24/10 see first post)
« Reply #1050 on: April 25, 2010, 07:53:17 pm »

YAY for 0.5.1! Thanks and keep up the good work!
Wouldn't play DF without DT anymore

Btw, is there a way to see in DT if a Dwarf is dead? or exclude them?
Dead dwarves should not show up in DT. Please file a bug if they are.

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: April 25, 2010, 08:22:20 pm »

New version has a bug, Big one.

Dwarf's no longer are organised alphabetically.
Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #1052 on: April 25, 2010, 08:25:13 pm »

Sigh. http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/issues/detail?id=220

rucksackjack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: April 25, 2010, 11:52:49 pm »

Is there a way to not have to turn my head sideways to view job names? I'd rather turn my head sideways to view dwarf names.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: April 26, 2010, 12:20:49 am »

That's a valid thought in that the skills are often what you care about, more than the specific dwarf, so putting the skills as the rows and the dwarves as columns could be handy.

Main disadvantage I can see is that there'd be fewer skills (but more dwarves) shown at a time. Hmmm...
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Sudius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: April 26, 2010, 12:30:24 am »

That's a valid thought in that the skills are often what you care about, more than the specific dwarf, so putting the skills as the rows and the dwarves as columns could be handy.

Main disadvantage I can see is that there'd be fewer skills (but more dwarves) shown at a time. Hmmm...

Agreed,  maybe for a future feature once everything else is up and running... the ability to swap columns and rows.. 

Also, I've done extensive spreadsheet work with critical information at the top of columns and I've found if they are angled like a forward slash "/" that they are incredibly pleasant to read and to find information at a glance.

Thank you so much for your work though chmod!   Don't let the double-reported bugs get to you, not everyone knows about your bug report forum or maybe they aren't as savvy with the code/development world as you are.. :(

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: April 26, 2010, 01:14:39 am »

Sigh. http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/issues/detail?id=220

Ah... So does this mean the next version will fix that bug?
Or can I do something now... Because its just killing me inside
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: April 26, 2010, 01:34:04 am »

@ Ubern00b: I'd wager that's a hardcoded problem, not something you can fix by editing a .ini file or similar; you'll have to wait for a new version.

As for swapping the columns/rows, I'd quite like that too, though I find it perfectly workable as it is. I don't think slanting the text on the column headers would be such a good idea, or at least it should be optional if implemented - you'd have much fewer columns available on-screen due to the width of each column being increased. I find it quite easy to find jobs as it is anyhow, you get used to the grouping scheme as time goes on.

rucksackjack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: April 26, 2010, 02:09:22 am »

In my opinion, it would even be an improvement if the job labels were changed to be something like:

F
a
r
m
i
n
g

rather than simply having the word rotated 90 degrees. That's just me, though. But yeah, ideally I'd love to see the ability to swap rows/columns.

Otherwise, amazing utility; as many others have said, I couldn't play without it anymore. =)

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: April 26, 2010, 03:15:25 am »

Agreed, wonderful utility.

This organising thing is the first bug I've actually seen myself.

AshyRaccoon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: April 26, 2010, 05:10:07 pm »

I would prefer to be able to swap the columns and rows, too. I've been finding the professions more important to me than the dwarf names.
It would also be good if the columns didn't require me to tilt my head to read them. :) I too would prefer text in the columns such as..
M
i
n
e
r
That said, this is a good utility. It helps scatterbrained fellows such as myself.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: April 26, 2010, 05:33:38 pm »

I love this utility, I can't stand trying to figure out who all has what through the regular interface.

One feature request, though, would be to allow us to set initial sort order in options.  For instance, to set the default sort to be by (as an example) the five smithing skills in order of importance.  My preferred sort is to sort by each column so that the dwarf skills end up making a diagonal line from top left to bottom right. (adding something along the lines of the ORDER BY SQL statement would be perfect)

Oh, and I noticed in the latest version (as opposed to the version I was using in 40d) when I click on a skill it sorts ascending and puts all my skilled dwarfs at the bottom.  This is slightly annoying, since I have to click twice to get the skilled dwarfs at the top.(as you can see, using my preferred sort doubles from making about 50 clicks to making about 100 clicks unless I employ more brain cells than I have dwarfs and start from the other end of the screen- and that still leaves skill-less dwarfs at the top)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #1062 on: April 26, 2010, 06:09:05 pm »

Is there a way to not have to turn my head sideways to view job names? I'd rather turn my head sideways to view dwarf names.

regarding column headers: I have a plan for those in the coming future which is a graphics based grid layout. Instead of using the default OS tree-view. This will also allow for OpenGL accelerated drawing and a hopefully much more flexible grid system. You'll just have to trust me that this is a good thing :)

I have experimented a lot in the past with header drawing, and the tools Qt gives me for this are a bit lacking at the moment, hence me looking into a graphics based solution.

Ah... So does this mean the next version will fix that bug?
Or can I do something now... Because its just killing me inside
Yes it will be fixed in the next version, and you have to either wait for the next binary release, or compile yourself from source :)

One feature request, though, would be to allow us to set initial sort order in options.  For instance, to set the default sort to be by (as an example) the five smithing skills in order of importance.  My preferred sort is to sort by each column so that the dwarf skills end up making a diagonal line from top left to bottom right. (adding something along the lines of the ORDER BY SQL statement would be perfect)

Oh, and I noticed in the latest version (as opposed to the version I was using in 40d) when I click on a skill it sorts ascending and puts all my skilled dwarfs at the bottom.  This is slightly annoying, since I have to click twice to get the skilled dwarfs at the top.(as you can see, using my preferred sort doubles from making about 50 clicks to making about 100 clicks unless I employ more brain cells than I have dwarfs and start from the other end of the screen- and that still leaves skill-less dwarfs at the top)
Sorting needs some real love. It has been a sort of ugly hack since the beginning. It sounds like you're asking for 2 things here.
1) Allow user to set preferred sorting order in options
2) Default to descending sorts on skill/labor columns

If you could enter those as tickets, they would be about 1000 times more likely to be implemented.
http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/issues/entry?template=Feature%20Request

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: April 26, 2010, 07:49:14 pm »

Sorting needs some real love. It has been a sort of ugly hack since the beginning. It sounds like you're asking for 2 things here.
1) Allow user to set preferred sorting order in options
2) Default to descending sorts on skill/labor columns

If you could enter those as tickets, they would be about 1000 times more likely to be implemented.
http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/issues/entry?template=Feature%20Request

I will see about making those feature requests there later.

Yeah, that is two different things, I should have separated them better.  The second was more an observation that I remembered the version of Therapist I used with 40d defaulting to descending sort.(In fact, when it didn't, the first thing I did was go to options to see if there was an option that could be checked.)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

teethering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: April 26, 2010, 09:45:43 pm »

Something seems to be off with migrant waves... Seems clicking Read Dwarves doesn't work as it used to?  I had to relaunch to get the new waves.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 124