Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 620413 times)

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.4.2 10/26/09 see first post)
« Reply #765 on: April 06, 2010, 05:41:14 pm »

Aside from it appearing to be pretty badly bugged at the moment, the substantial advancement of the military scope in-game leads me to believe any interaction in DT with the military units to be similarly complex to incorporate and therefor I would not expect much in that direction any time soon.

This may not, however, substantially prohibit implementation of displaying (read: not interaction) of helpful information regarding dwarves in the military, but that is just a guess. My impression is that chmod is focused on stabilizing the core functionality. I think the military stuff was always kind of seen as an add-on "nice-but-not-need to have" for the core product.

Just my $0.02

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 06, 2010, 06:48:40 pm »

My issue with the military screen (other than the bugs) is that it, within DF, it can't possibly fit all on one screen. It's cluttered. Information and options are packed in there as tight as they can go.

If chmod was willing, I'd love a tab-based, check box system that just simplifies both the presentation and the process of the military. I don't need to program orders or anything like that...but swapping created uniforms and moving people around in squads would be a treat.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 06, 2010, 07:42:11 pm »

I concur with both lodester and nenjin, sense the new military system has so much stuff in it, that there is almost no way in H-E-L-L to get around it.  Its like trying to dig yourself out of a hole some idiot keeps filling in ontop of you.

So while the features may not be needed or required in DT, just the very thought of being able to do as nenjin suggests would be an awesome advantage for any aspiring DFer; and especially useful for those of us (myself included) that haven't had much experience with DF military, or are just getting into the game (which is so darn huge that it seems nearly impossible at the first glance).  Just some food-for-thought.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 06, 2010, 09:30:36 pm »

Am I the only one that thinks the new military screen is really good? I mean, once the actual bugs are worked out I think that it will be pretty good. All things considered, the military screens could have been a lot worse.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 06, 2010, 10:08:14 pm »

Am I the only one that thinks the new military screen is really good? I mean, once the actual bugs are worked out I think that it will be pretty good. All things considered, the military screens could have been a lot worse.

I think it is excellent. It takes some time and focus to really get your head in to how Tarn laid out all the functionality but once you do it all starts to come together nicely and you can see the nice layers of options and flexibility built in to the new system.
Where we once had to micro the army (usually in vein or at the cost of problems elsewhere) I can easily see a well thought out, large army being largely unattended without issue. Given that, i don't really have a problem handling it in the game UI. We just need a few rounds of bug fixes.

My suggestion to people struggling with the new military is to read through the wiki post and start with a small squad and get comfortable with it. Its really not that bad usability wise. Also, because of a perma-wait bug, you should cycle forced on-duty for a squad every other month to avoid dehydration/insanity/death when and if the bug pops up.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #770 on: April 06, 2010, 10:14:34 pm »

I love the utility and features of the new military system too, and once it works properly it will be an amazing asset.

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 06, 2010, 11:01:22 pm »

Nope. I was pretty intimidated by it at first, but I was intimidated by the first one as well, at first.

Once you've explored it fully it really it's really quite good (at least by the standards of DF menus). Other then the bugs.

As far as DT is concerned, it would be nice (eventually) to be able to access most of its features, but with the ability to set uniforms for entire squads it doesn't seem as important as in the previous version.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:02:55 pm by piesquared »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 06, 2010, 11:15:27 pm »

DF Menus have their own standards?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 06, 2010, 11:16:41 pm »

I get the military screen, it's just not pleasant to look at or deal with. Three squads is fine, but once you have to start scrolling to access your squads and/or months...it kind of pushes the limits of what I want to deal with strictly through the keyboard. That's why DT is such a great tool for a lot of DF. It adds the things DF lacks in terms of functionality: full mouse support and quickly moving between information fields.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #774 on: April 06, 2010, 11:23:52 pm »

That's why DT is such a great tool for a lot of DF. It adds the things DF lacks in terms of functionality: full mouse support and quickly moving between information fields.
Don't forget the funny error messages and progress bars. Everything needs more progress bars :)

Surray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 06, 2010, 11:32:45 pm »

I get the military screen, it's just not pleasant to look at or deal with. Three squads is fine, but once you have to start scrolling to access your squads and/or months...it kind of pushes the limits of what I want to deal with strictly through the keyboard. That's why DT is such a great tool for a lot of DF. It adds the things DF lacks in terms of functionality: full mouse support and quickly moving between information fields.

The whole military screen has mouse support actually. Anyting is easily clickable as if it was a windows interface and it works great. I love it.
I can't wait for other screens to get updated for mouse support in the same way.. the shortcuts are confusing me (I'm new).

But on topic, I used DT with varying results. First 2010 game it worked well enough, had no issues other than dead dwarfs not disappearing from the list which was slightly confusing.
After a while though, all but 1 dwarfs disappeared from the list and wouldn't load anymore. DT only ever loaded that single dwarf and found nothing else, so it lost it's use for that game.
Another 2010 game I started yesterday, it didn't work at all for some reason. It just said it couldn't connect to DF, saying something about no fortress beeing loaded (but I was ingame) eventhough it worked fine the day before. Not sure what went wrong there...

But still, great tool, it definitely helps a lot with managing things. In DF I have to go look for dwarves all over the place and check their skills and set things and it takes a lot of time. In DT I have everything I need in one place, and that's just great.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 07, 2010, 03:51:35 am »

The whole military screen has mouse support actually. Anyting is easily clickable as if it was a windows interface and it works great. I love it.

*checks this*  Holy...!  Right-click even acts as page-down for your scrolling needs.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 07, 2010, 09:09:33 am »

I can't wait for other screens to get updated for mouse support in the same way.. the shortcuts are confusing me (I'm new).

But on topic, I used DT with varying results. First 2010 game it worked well enough, had no issues other than dead dwarfs not disappearing from the list which was slightly confusing.
After a while though, all but 1 dwarfs disappeared from the list and wouldn't load anymore. DT only ever loaded that single dwarf and found nothing else, so it lost it's use for that game.
Another 2010 game I started yesterday, it didn't work at all for some reason. It just said it couldn't connect to DF, saying something about no fortress beeing loaded (but I was ingame) eventhough it worked fine the day before. Not sure what went wrong there...

But still, great tool, it definitely helps a lot with managing things. In DF I have to go look for dwarves all over the place and check their skills and set things and it takes a lot of time. In DT I have everything I need in one place, and that's just great.

Noticed all those problems myself, and so far saving and reloading fixes the problem. If that's not enough just close the game and relaunch it, it should work again.

The only problems I haven't been able to fix by this method are related to caravans and liason. Each time either one is on my fortress everything goes wonky, not all of my own dwarves gets listed but the merchants and liason do.

Oh, and by the way, not sure if I'm only one experiencing this, but when you launch fresh fortress you must save and reload the fortress before getting therapist to work. If I don't do that I just get the error stating that the fort has not been loaded. After reloading the fortress it starts to work.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 07, 2010, 09:57:51 am »

Well, that made it a lot simpler.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 07, 2010, 11:54:07 am »

Ok, I know you said no bug reports for this release, but here's a quirk I've noticed:

Setting skills that use a weapon ie: mining and woodcutting do not make the dwarf go get the neccessary weapon.

Example: Urist McHauler gets the woodcutting labor enabled in DT. Urist McHauler loafs around endlessly in the meeting hall until I v-p-l him and unselect and reselect the woodcutting labor. Then he promptly grabs an axe and slaughters trees harvests wood all day long.

I suspect something has changed in the code for making dwarves equip/unequip that has made this not work the way it should anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 124