Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 620786 times)

Delduvat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.4.2 10/26/09 see first post)
« Reply #495 on: December 01, 2009, 01:54:41 am »

Could you please remove a "Slow down, killer. One at a time." message box (or make it optional) while setting nickname to several dwarfs at a time?
I`m currently using nicknames to distinguish between different labors within one profession.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 02, 2009, 10:51:14 pm »

I hope you can continue to work on this. It makes DF playable in linux  ;D

Also has anyone gotten this to work on karmic?

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 03, 2009, 08:12:15 am »

I think it can be definitively stated that Karmic i.e. Ubuntu 9.10 broke DT. If you watch the console output, I believe it slashes past a base address of 0, which is nonsense.

The usual reasons for this kind of behavior would be DT being unable to find the correct PID for DF, or being unable to read from /proc/<pid>/maps.  Its possible that the new kernel build has changed something in this area, though I'm running the latest kernel and not having problems.

Run your DF game and then check these things from a console:

* Run 'ps aux | grep dwarfort' and make sure it returns just 1 line.
* Take the pid value (should be the number right after your username) and run:  'cat /proc/PID#/maps', e.g. 'cat /proc/1500/maps', and make sure you get data back that includes at least 3 lines, near the top, that list dwarfort.exe at the end.

--Mike

andlar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 04, 2009, 08:24:24 am »

I think it can be definitively stated that Karmic i.e. Ubuntu 9.10 broke DT. If you watch the console output, I believe it slashes past a base address of 0, which is nonsense.

The usual reasons for this kind of behavior would be DT being unable to find the correct PID for DF, or being unable to read from /proc/<pid>/maps.  Its possible that the new kernel build has changed something in this area, though I'm running the latest kernel and not having problems.

Run your DF game and then check these things from a console:

* Run 'ps aux | grep dwarfort' and make sure it returns just 1 line.
* Take the pid value (should be the number right after your username) and run:  'cat /proc/PID#/maps', e.g. 'cat /proc/1500/maps', and make sure you get data back that includes at least 3 lines, near the top, that list dwarfort.exe at the end.

--Mike

I've been having troubles since Karmic as well. I ran the 'ps aux' command, and got back two responses, one for dwarfort, and the other for 'grep dwarfort'. Using the pid from the dwarfort line I ran the 'cat /proc' command, and came up with three lines in the mapping, all pointing at the dwarfort.exe file in my dwarfort directory.

I have noticed that the first time I run DF and DT after restarting my session (using alt-printScrn-k) they both work fine, and the base address line is not 0. If I leave DF open, and close DT, and then start it again, it fails, with a base address of 0.

I do love DT; my current workaround involves restarting the session when I get a new wave in, and during other times just letting the dwarves run themselves.

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 04, 2009, 08:47:32 am »

I have noticed that the first time I run DF and DT after restarting my session (using alt-printScrn-k) they both work fine, and the base address line is not 0. If I leave DF open, and close DT, and then start it again, it fails, with a base address of 0.

Hm.  That's different behavior; it sounds like the first instance of DT isn't properly detaching from ptrace().  Not sure exactly how to do this in Ubuntu, but can you look up what versions of these things Karmic ships with:

linux kernel
gcc
glibc

Also, I assume you're running the DT version from the alpha-release tarball?  I'm not seeing this problem on my end but I'm running the latest directly from source control; its possible something has changed that may affect this.  chmod apparently has real-life bugs to work on at the moment, but I'll see if I can find anything in the code and/or history that could explain it.

--Mike

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 04, 2009, 09:06:01 am »

I should note that under Jaunty(9.04), DF and DT were working flawlessly. It's only when I upgraded to Karmic that something broke.

In other words: there shouldn't be any inadequate versions there. I didn't think to see what the current versions were before system instability prompted a wipe, but are any of those libraries things that you'd expect the presence of a newer version to screw up, while not themselves being permissive of multiple installed versions?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 04, 2009, 10:15:15 am »

I should note that under Jaunty(9.04), DF and DT were working flawlessly. It's only when I upgraded to Karmic that something broke.

In other words: there shouldn't be any inadequate versions there. I didn't think to see what the current versions were before system instability prompted a wipe, but are any of those libraries things that you'd expect the presence of a newer version to screw up, while not themselves being permissive of multiple installed versions?

It's always possible that a newer version introduces some bug or incompatible change that breaks things.  Utilities like DT and DM are doing things that are typically intended for debuggers, and which are affected by the security design in the kernel/libraries.  I'm always concerned when their behavior changes for no good reason that it's due to someone locking down security, though I haven't seen any indication that anyone's done so recently.

--Mike

andlar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 04, 2009, 04:52:47 pm »

Hm.  That's different behavior; it sounds like the first instance of DT isn't properly detaching from ptrace().  Not sure exactly how to do this in Ubuntu, but can you look up what versions of these things Karmic ships with:

linux kernel
gcc
glibc

Also, I assume you're running the DT version from the alpha-release tarball?  I'm not seeing this problem on my end but I'm running the latest directly from source control; its possible something has changed that may affect this.  chmod apparently has real-life bugs to work on at the moment, but I'll see if I can find anything in the code and/or history that could explain it.

--Mike

I'm not sure what Karmic ships with, but what I have on my system is the following:
linux kernel: 2.6.31-15-generic
gcc: gcc version 4.4.1 (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu8)
glibc: In my /lib directory I have libc-2.10.1.so, but no glibc files.

I am running from the alpha-release tarball. I'd be happy to try to compile from source, but that's not something I've done before (though I wouldn't mind trying to figure it out.)

Thanks for the help.

CarrKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 09, 2009, 06:27:57 pm »

Any news about making the Therapist work on the new Ubuntu (9.10)?

It never seems to find my dwarves. Much like the previous poster I'm running it from the alpha tarball

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 12, 2009, 05:21:32 pm »

I must admit that I haven't the inclination to read through 34 pages of this to find the answer to my questions, so if it's already been answered, much apologies.
In any case, I can't quite figure out how to use this. I've tried three or four links, and none of them work except for one video that is basically someone clicking tons of stuff for a few seconds and I'm not sure what that was supposed to do. Is there an instructions page for this or something? It's intuitive how to assign jobs and such, but how can I put people into jobs? For example, I have some extraneous bowyers and hunters and such, and I want to make them haulers instead. I could go through and adjust their jobs individually, but can't I just put them all into a Hauler job and adjust that whole class?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. Still, an clearly linked instruction page of some sort would be very useful if you could spare the time. Thanks for making such a useful program!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 05:26:09 pm by Cheddarius »

IGPebble

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 20, 2009, 03:20:33 pm »

Help!
I loaded dwarf therapist and everything looks wrong! What do I do? :(
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 20, 2009, 05:24:43 pm »

Is it the odd font you are referring to? If so, go to file, options, hit the "Grid Options" tab and you should see a "Change Font" button on the mid-right side.

Belal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 24, 2009, 12:20:51 pm »

Just wanted to update any current Dwarf Therapist users, I have made a branch which adds a bunch of new features, so feel free to check it out http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46841.0

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 25, 2009, 01:40:01 pm »

Since Chmod is still out of action (I hope things are looking up, Chmod!), I hope someone else can help me.

I installed the latest version, but everytime I try to initialise it, it just says "Can't connect, can't find the PEB adress, please re-launch DF". I tried running DT first, booting DF and then reconnecting too, but no avail. Anyone know why DT doesn't recognise my DF?

I'm running Windows Vista. Yes, I know. My main pc with windows xp is out of order, so I'm stuck with this back-up pc.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 25, 2009, 08:03:59 pm »

I'm not running Vista myself, so I can only go with the most obvious trick that comes to mind. Are you running one of them with admin privileges and one without? If DF is being run privileged, a non-privileged DT wouldn't be able to touch it.

Beyond that, I must defer to experts.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 124