Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 620318 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)
« Reply #1770 on: September 16, 2010, 10:53:10 pm »

no, you were second.
devek and his Dwarf Foreman link were first.
Well of course he has a link to the program he is making...  :o

ThePup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: September 17, 2010, 01:36:02 am »

Just wanted to say thanks to DE and the others working on this, it's a vital part of Dwarf Fortress.

<delurk>

+1

As a non-programmer, a big thanks to all that make this work, and then share with the rest of us  :-)

The new labours interface is nicer than 40d was, but DT is still the best tool for managing the blighters...

</delurk>

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: September 17, 2010, 02:47:23 am »

It's been asked.  Never gotten a positive response from it that I know.  Toady is rather against opening any sort of API to third party tools.

Doesn't have to use the DT code, just have a similar set of features. Would be much easier for him to do as he has the DF source code too ;)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: September 17, 2010, 08:26:29 am »

It's been asked.  Never gotten a positive response from it that I know.  Toady is rather against opening any sort of API to third party tools.

Doesn't have to use the DT code, just have a similar set of features. Would be much easier for him to do as he has the DF source code too ;)
I'm actually surprised he hasn't added the feature set already... but his moods are out of our control.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: September 17, 2010, 10:19:55 am »

Okay guys. I stopped playing DF when i read Chmod stopped developing for it, but now im getting that itch that only DF can cure. Has anyone stepped up to continue development? Is there a compatible version of DT for the latest DF?

There are like 70+ pages to this thread (well, maybe less. I didnt check) since i last came here so im not reading through them all to find out myself.

I dont mean to sound abrupt i just dont know how else to word this.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: September 17, 2010, 11:14:47 am »

Several other programs are being created to help you get past DF's bad interface. "Rune Smith" is probably your best bet; just do a forum search. Not sure if it's one or two words.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #1776 on: September 17, 2010, 11:21:37 am »

Several other programs are being created to help you get past DF's bad interface. "Rune Smith" is probably your best bet; just do a forum search. Not sure if it's one or two words.

Runesmith - A DC like tool
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Valathil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: September 17, 2010, 11:24:30 am »

Had a look today with all the Memory Offset thingies and we probably have a REAL BIG problem. After some tries to map the new Layout everytime I restart DF the addresses change, it seems to me that Toady's new Compiler has Address space layout randomization enabled. Which means that everybody on Windows 7 and I think Vista is ROYALLY screwed. Basically means that you would have to find the Memory Offsets EVERYTIME you restart Dwarf Fortress which is BAD. Hopefully this an error on my part. But if it isn't well yeah we're screwed.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: September 17, 2010, 11:55:53 am »

does that mean we will revert to play dwarf fortress the way it's intended to be played: with great suckage?

damn.

I mean, I'm happy with all the new feature and such, but there is no other way to find a metalcrafter replacement after the old one had fun looking at hundreds dwarves one at a time - with the interface not returning on the unit list at the point you left for added suckage

Valathil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: September 17, 2010, 12:15:52 pm »

As I said i really hope that I made an error. I'm currently looking deeper into the issue and I have a ray of hope because the Dwarf Race Index pointer stays constant which points to two possibilities. Either its a constant address cause its loaded from the executable into the memory at the same adress which is bad or the whole adress randomization was bullshit which would be great.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: September 17, 2010, 12:20:43 pm »

Sooo... Is it time to panic yet?

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #1781 on: September 17, 2010, 12:23:52 pm »

Hey guys.

Regarding the changing offsets, make sure it's the actual addresses changing and not just the base address. In my experience, DF has always changed base address on each launch, but the stuff we're interested in is always the same distance from the base. So the addresses appear to be random, but they're really just side-effects of the base address changing.

Regarding someone else working on it. I idle on IRC (most of the time) in #dwarftherapist on freenode. I'm still seeking a new maintainer, and am willing to offer some help, I just don't have the time anymore to work on DT in any meaningful fashion.

So before forking the project and going off on your own, keep in mind I'm still around and willing to help.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: September 17, 2010, 12:44:32 pm »

If anyone's looking to add features, please add sorting by strongest/most creative/etc. There's currently no way to do this that I can figure, which is a real pain when trying to pick for your military, engravers, etc.

Valathil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: September 17, 2010, 03:54:27 pm »

Guys, we're screwed. Took a really hard look again at the offsets and guess what. Even with the changing Base Address the Creature Vector that stores the Dorfs jumps around everytime you restart DF. This is really bad for every memhack tool out there. It probably means that there wont be any more. I don't know if it's intentionally done by Toady or if its just the new compiler that hes using, either way i dont think it will be possible to mod the tools for the new version like we done before. To make it work again a tool would have to find the memory locations heuristically every time you launch it. No more memory.xml or DT .ini's. =(

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: September 17, 2010, 03:59:27 pm »

:(
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 124