Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 620646 times)

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.4 6/10/10 see first post)
« Reply #1290 on: June 21, 2010, 02:40:09 pm »

It sounds like you guys have the wrong creature vector. DF usually has between 1 and 4 creature vectors at a time, only 1 of which is kept up to date frame-to-frame. Either that, or it's something new entirely and will take some disassembly work to figure out.
Sorry I really don't understand that, is it fixable by someone with minimalnon-existent coding experience?  :-[
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #1291 on: June 21, 2010, 03:58:08 pm »

It sounds like you guys have the wrong creature vector. DF usually has between 1 and 4 creature vectors at a time, only 1 of which is kept up to date frame-to-frame. Either that, or it's something new entirely and will take some disassembly work to figure out.
Sorry I really don't understand that, is it fixable by someone with minimalnon-existent coding experience?  :-[
I mean that at the core, DT needs to have intimate understanding of how DF stores creatures, and all of their various attributes. Although the code for creatures may not change much from release to release, their locations after compilation might. This is pretty quickly found out via the scanner I provide as a part of DT. If nothing much changed, there is a simple process to map out a new version of DF. The instructions are here http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/wiki/MappingNewVersions

That procedure will *NOT* work if several things have changed inside the creature's structure. Say if the race id of a creature changed offsets, it will take substantially more work to map a new version than just pressing a button in the scanner I wrote. Rest assured, I will add support for 08, and release it after I have tested it.

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 21, 2010, 04:30:18 pm »

Oddly it's working now, out of the blue. Phew.
ENRAGED

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: June 21, 2010, 05:18:21 pm »

That's what I love in my applications... magic! ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: June 21, 2010, 05:25:23 pm »

Hrm, the creature vector I used for the SDL version was:
creature_vector = 0x0168171c (uncorrected:0x0168171c)

The other possible one I found was:
creature_vector = 0x01681794 (uncorrected:0x01681794)

I'll have to actually play DF tonight to see if one suddenly stops working after a while.  Maybe I goofed.

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: June 21, 2010, 05:50:23 pm »

It seems to stop working if I mod the raws. :/
ENRAGED

SirBruce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 21, 2010, 09:57:35 pm »

With .06 I would have random times when DT couldn't find DF.  Restarting both DF and DT fixed the problem.

Ratboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 22, 2010, 08:24:19 am »

I'm gonna keep messing around with it, but I'll ask here too: Where do those numbers etc go? I need my Therapist. :(

Assuming you're using Windows, they go in the (Dwarf Therapist)\etc\memory_layouts\windows directory.  There should be a bunch of similar files there already.

Yeah, just title it v0.31.08_graphics.ini.  Actually, just download this file and put it in that directory:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QZS4IATZ

That works for me but using dfoffsets.exe (dfhack 0.4.02) I get different offsets to what have been posted here, if I use them all DT crashes but if I just use the following changes - it still works. Haven't got a functioning fort to test this on though, so if someone wants to, then please do. Also could somebody explain why different people get different results please.

[addresses]
translation_vector      = 0x016c63d4
language_vector         = 0x016c63a4
creature_vector         = 0x0168172c
dwarf_race_index        = 0x014acef4

It doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong, consistency is the key.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #1298 on: June 22, 2010, 08:44:21 am »

I'm gonna keep messing around with it, but I'll ask here too: Where do those numbers etc go? I need my Therapist. :(

Assuming you're using Windows, they go in the (Dwarf Therapist)\etc\memory_layouts\windows directory.  There should be a bunch of similar files there already.

Yeah, just title it v0.31.08_graphics.ini.  Actually, just download this file and put it in that directory:

That works for me but using dfoffsets.exe (dfhack 0.4.02) I get different offsets to what have been posted here, if I use them all DT crashes but if I just use the following changes - it still works. Haven't got a functioning fort to test this on though, so if someone wants to, then please do. Also could somebody explain why different people get different results please.

[addresses]
dfdoffsets just prints what dfhack has... it's not necessatily right. Also, vectors are treated differently in DT and DFHack, so they will have different addresses.

Ratboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 22, 2010, 08:54:18 am »

[addresses]
dfdoffsets just prints what dfhack has... it's not necessatily right. Also, vectors are treated differently in DT and DFHack, so they will have different addresses.

Ahuh, so just what actually is a vector in this sense briefly.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #1300 on: June 22, 2010, 09:43:40 am »

Well... a stretch of memory containing items of identical size and type. They have a descriptor part that says where they start, where the stretch of memory given to them ends (alloc_end) and how long they actually are (end). Depending on compiler and the implementation of vectors, the descriptors can have different layout in memory.

So... a vector descriptor on Linux is just the three values:
start, end, alloc_end

A vector descriptor old MS C++ compilers used looked like this:
nonsense, start, end, alloc_end

A vector descriptor new MS C++ compilers use:
nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, start, end, alloc_end

All parts have the size of 4 bytes. The nonsense parts have some internal use, but understanding them isn't essential for reading the data.
DT is using the second form even when it's not right (AFAIK, it's been some time I checked). DFHack can use all of them, depending on the particular version of DF it's working with. So to get the right address for DT, you have to do some hexadecimal arithmetic.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:52:17 am by peterix »

Ratboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 22, 2010, 11:33:00 am »

Well... a stretch of memory containing items of identical size and type. They have a descriptor part that says where they start, where the stretch of memory given to them ends (alloc_end) and how long they actually are (end). Depending on compiler and the implementation of vectors, the descriptors can have different layout in memory.

So... a vector descriptor on Linux is just the three values:
start, end, alloc_end

A vector descriptor old MS C++ compilers used looked like this:
nonsense, start, end, alloc_end

A vector descriptor new MS C++ compilers use:
nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, start, end, alloc_end

All parts have the size of 4 bytes. The nonsense parts have some internal use, but understanding them isn't essential for reading the data.
DT is using the second form even when it's not right (AFAIK, it's been some time I checked). DFHack can use all of them, depending on the particular version of DF it's working with. So to get the right address for DT, you have to do some hexadecimal arithmetic.

Interesting. Well, that explains that. I couldn't figure out why it worked for DFHack and stone sense RC2 - I used it to make a memory.xml which apparently works, and didn't work for DT. But as I'm interested in this sort of stuff, if you don't mind, what sort of maths I mean what calculations. Hex doesn't bother me, I've been playing around with it for years (more than most of the people here have been alive). But I need to know more about how memory actually works.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #1302 on: June 22, 2010, 11:57:06 am »

How about you guys take this conversation out of this thread please.

Dark_T_Zeratul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: June 22, 2010, 03:22:08 pm »

When I run Dwarf Therapist with version .08, it says, "I'm sorry but I don't know how to talk to this version of Dwarf Fortress!" The latest supported version it lists is .06.
The miasma caused Sethrist to go miserable and throw a tantrum. During the tantrum he mauled a dog to near-death and that caused his mood to go all the way up to content. Apparently, beating the crap out of dogs is the best way to achieve happiness.

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 22, 2010, 03:32:59 pm »

When I run Dwarf Therapist with version .08, it says, "I'm sorry but I don't know how to talk to this version of Dwarf Fortress!" The latest supported version it lists is .06.

You are exactly right. You've won an all-expense paid weekend vacation in Winooski, VT!
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 124