Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 621044 times)

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.3.0 8/8/09 see first post)
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2009, 08:44:18 pm »

Like this: http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3707/asdasdlyd.png

When I start the program the column will have a width that shows the whole proffesion column. If I then change the sorting and back, it will make the column too short to fit the full profession.

That's a known cosmetic defect in this build. The workaround is to simply naviagte to another tab, then back - and it will resize the column properly and should keep that proper sizing for the session.

However, if you say it's happening when you try to sort by name, that is strange - you should no longer be able to sort by name via profession grouping and if when you try it's shrinking/truncating when you sort by name, that is new. I am not able to find a way to cause that to happen once i use the workaround.

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2009, 08:46:18 pm »

Small thing that's bugging my OCD, the smiley faces under the "Happiness" column are just slightly cut off. Other then that, and the un-slanted row of column names, I love this thing.
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2009, 08:53:09 pm »

Like this: http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3707/asdasdlyd.png

When I start the program the column will have a width that shows the whole proffesion column. If I then change the sorting and back, it will make the column too short to fit the full profession.
Tefalo, I think you're seeing a bug. Trying clicking a different tab, and then clicking back on the original to see if the column widens up for you.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2009, 08:54:47 pm »

Small thing that's bugging my OCD, the smiley faces under the "Happiness" column are just slightly cut off. Other then that, and the un-slanted row of column names, I love this thing.
That bugs me too. The math is probably off a bit on the cell spacing (new in the options menu) and is causing that. Also I really need to find better smiley faces to use in that column. Let me know if you know of any better.

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2009, 08:59:19 pm »

Ack, I didn't read. It cut off when i switched from 'Professions' to 'Nothing'. It actually was irrelevant as what i changed to, as you pointed out. ("That's a known cosmetic defect in this build.")

And
The workaround is to simply naviagte to another tab, then back
works, thanks. :)

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2009, 09:07:19 pm »

Smileys: -see mod's response-

Slanted Names: This is a brain-wiring thing, some people like slants, others can't stand them and vice versa. In either case, though, once you have an established set of views soon enough you will stop 'reading' the column headers and you'll locate cells based more on location and appearance. This is something time will deal with, but maybe mod will find an easy way to make this an option.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 01:24:19 am by lodester »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2009, 09:56:13 pm »

Wow, new version! This program has become indispensable to me, so this is excellent news. I will check it out when I get home, thanks mod for all your work!

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2009, 10:26:01 pm »

Well, I've been using it for a little over an hour now with no problems, so it seems to be pretty much bug-free.  Nice work!

Seeing the post above mine though, is there a way to resize the columns?  I'd check myself, but I'm already up too late... Dwarf Fortress tends to make me do that...  Woah... should have refreshed the page before posting...
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

dibujante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2009, 10:38:14 pm »

Donated. This utility is awesome.

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2009, 12:45:18 pm »

*sigh* i guess no dwarf tool for mac...ever
I could be wrong.  What would you call it when you spend that much time obsessing over something that it turns out you don't even like?
Relationships?

Reynard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2009, 04:25:14 pm »

Loving it - it's quickly become indispensible in making sense of what's going on. That graphical error needs fixing though.

Suggestions: Rather than have squares expand to fill the cell representing a skill, a left-to-right sweep would be nicer. It's hard to notice if a Dwarf has a tiny pixel of skill or not (especially on Group By Profession where you can't sort by skill), plus it provides better precision in judging which Dwarf is more skilled as you get twice as many pixels. A column showing current profession name when not grouping dwarves by profession would be pretty handy too.

The ability to drag a dwarf to a profession would be very nice. An auto-expand-all option, too. Poking around the ini files, I need to make a view that separates Necessary/Useful/Semi-Useful/Useless skills by group.

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2009, 05:13:05 pm »

Suggestions: Rather than have squares expand to fill the cell representing a skill, a left-to-right sweep would be nicer. It's hard to notice if a Dwarf has a tiny pixel of skill or not (especially on Group By Profession where you can't sort by skill), plus it provides better precision in judging which Dwarf is more skilled as you get twice as many pixels.

Fastest way to get bugs and enhancements in to the queue is to use the Help, Request Feature/Report Bug menu option
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It sounds like your issue is identification of low-skilled dorfs and differentiating between closely-skilled dorfs.

Couple of things to try in the short term: Try re-sizing the cell size (options, cell-size) a pixel or two to see if the low-skills show up better for you. Also make sure you turn on "auto-contrast skill display" to make sure the fill color is inverse from the background.

With respect to the differentiating between small differences (e.g. skill=5 vs 6) I am not sure this would appreciably change by going to an X or Y scale since there are 15 levels to distinguish and we're talking about a default 17x17 pixel size. There are generally two ways to deal with this, the simplest being object distinction which means either changing the shape or color as the levels progress - replacing the incremental fill with the number value of the level, for example.
The other way is through series distinction - think of the stick counter for the number 5, four lines with a fifth line drawn through to easily distinguish groups of 5 in the series. This latter design can come in all kinds of forms; the money bags vs. coins in Civilization comes immediately to mind, but off the top of my head i have no ideas how this might be represented in DT, but mod is the programmer so he has a better sense of what would be possible in this regard.

Pardon the ramble....in any case, hopefully resizing the cells will help you while mod considers your request.

Poking around the ini files, I need to make a view that separates Necessary/Useful/Semi-Useful/Useless skills by group.

You don't need to poke around in the .ini's at all - you can make your own custom views/sets and create the display any way you want, with as many views/tabs as you want !!

See my earlier post - i posted a screencasts showing how to do this
EDIT:
Making your own views and sets from scratch:
http://screencast.com/t/UoW2MEVF

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 05:25:21 pm by lodester »

BloodyThorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BloodyThorn
Re: Dwarf Therapist Alpha Release - VC Distributable
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2009, 11:10:42 pm »

Spoke with mod about this briefly tonight (I've been helping him test DT and provide some general feedback on his builds) but offhand we didn't have a sure-fire quick answer. The main runtime dependency is clearly MSVC90.dll which for sure you're missing.  If put in the same folder that you run DT from may get you going, but I can't say for sure - it might just get you past to the next missing libaray.

I see a lot of other soft dependencies hanging off of the QtCore4.dll and some of the other DT dll's, but they don't appear to be required - with this i couldn't easily/quickly find if there might be another VC++ deliverable you need from the 2008 pack. You can safely try putting MSVC90.dll in the DT folder and see if that helps.

Good luck
-lode

I will give this a try, and tell you the results. I am not sure if it will work though. Don't the dlls have to be registered, or some junk?

Thorn

Okay, I am feeling monumentally naive here....I cannot find a dll anywhere on my computer (or in a google search) named - MSVC90.dll....I can find many variations on this...msvcr90.dll for example, but none with that specific DLL name.

Although anyone I could find, putting in my DT directory didn't allow the program to run or get any further than the error I had before I attempted the experiment.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
Thorn

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2009, 01:49:19 am »

Although anyone I could find, putting in my DT directory didn't allow the program to run or get any further than the error I had before I attempted the experiment.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
Thorn

I have to say I'm somewhat torn on this topic. While it may be possible to deconstruct the dependencies and deliver them as unregistered runtimes, I acknowledge the security and usage policy imposed on machines by their owners; as it appears is the situation you find yourself in.

My general take is, if the owner of the machine wants to restrict applications run on it and/or changes to their configuration, that is their right and I respect that.

On the other hand, if the user takes it (and any potential consequences) upon themselves to craft a way to do whatever they want on those machines and challenge those restrictions, more power to them. After all, breaking security policies is one of the best ways to foster more secure systems. :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:56:36 am by lodester »

BloodyThorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BloodyThorn
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2009, 02:54:29 am »

I have to say I'm somewhat torn on this topic. While it may be possible to deconstruct the dependencies and deliver them as unregistered runtimes, I acknowledge the security and usage policy imposed on machines by their owners; as it appears is the situation you find yourself in.

My general take is, if the owner of the machine wants to restrict applications run on it and/or changes to their configuration, that is their right and I respect that.

On the other hand, if the user takes it (and any potential consequences) upon themselves to craft a way to do whatever they want on those machines and challenge those restrictions, more power to them. After all, breaking security policies is one of the best ways to foster more secure systems. :)

Haha. I work a graveyard shift, and keeping myself occupied is often a chore. It is a crap job, (as everyone I have ever had has been) and I certainly have zero respect for my employer's security. Especially when all I am doing is playing a simple game to keep my downtime occupied.

It's an excellent tool (the new version being leaps and bounds cooler than the last), and I really wish I could use it while I play my game at work. But as long as it has dependencies that require the installation of another application, it makes it that much less useful to me. I store my game on a portable ram device, and I like being able to play it anywhere I have a PC and a accessible USB plug...But to be honest, I wouldn't want to have to install additional software on any machine that wasn't my own just to utilize a portable app.

One of the reasons I love DF so much...small, portable, independent. And the more I use applications and games with these qualities, the more I respect them for being such...Even applications I use on my main/home computer.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 124