Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Project Natal  (Read 2118 times)

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
Project Natal
« on: July 22, 2009, 10:00:33 pm »

Whos excited for motion sensing devices?

I sure am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH_gDreIdcM&feature=related

Not much to say, except its a motion sensor for the 360, which will "detect" your whole body and use it to play games. Sounds sorta fun, and somewhat a lot like the PS3/Wii's motion sensing thing.

What's with all the motion sensors being invented by game companies, anyways? Will this kick into a new motion sensor game?

IS this what is known as virtual reality?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:02:17 pm by Calvin »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project Natal
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 10:05:39 pm »

Well it was interesting to hear about during E3 and shows some promise. I don't remember if it was on this board or a different one but there was a discution about the milo "demo" which many thought was scripted and the "demoer" was just trying to keep up. Then of course sony showed their early prototype of motion sensing which is sorta like the wii but I think its suppose to be more accurate *shrugs*.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:55:41 pm »

Not really interested in it, the Wii never hooked me with it's gimmick and even as a pretty dedicated Sony fan I have a hard time getting excited about their motion system. It just leads to crappier casual games for the most part.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 12:09:57 am »

Well we have to take into account the fact that Loony Molyneux was one of the people hyping the project, and generally speaking, if he says something it automatically makes it less likely to be true. :P
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 02:31:12 pm »

Well we have to take into account the fact that Loony Molyneux was one of the people hyping the project, and generally speaking, if he says something it automatically makes it less likely to be true. :P

He's like a reverse King Midas.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 01:32:35 am »

Heh, I did some research with motion sensing at one time. Had little motion sensors you strap onto your shoulder or something, and the challenge was to make it even smaller and robust so that it wouldn't inhibit the user at all and takes into account sudden movement.. was more for soccer players than gamers. It's actually quite obtainable, but I decided that speech recognition is more fun to play around with than motion sensing.

Microsoft's pretty much the technical leader in a lot of the stuff, with a great deal of funding put into it, so it's quite likely to be true. The real problem is trying to make a proper game with the technology, lol.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 03:05:46 am »

As long as it does the motion sensing job well, I can stand such controllers.

Wow, that video really put me off in the beginning with the "Imagine you're playing an RPG game, you chose fireball spell, the color in your hand changes, and then you throw to cast your spell."  The first thing I thought was, "Wow, that sounds totally unnecessary and annoying."  Of course then they actually started showing the actual demo, which was surprisingly, allot better.  Looks like it could actually be rather good if they can pull off an actual game with it.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 07:56:28 am »

The major problem with Natal outside of hardware difficulty is the fact that they seem to have the idea that people would prefer to play ordinary games with Natal with no actual difference in gameplay other then pathetically trying to get Natal to respond.

Do people REALLY want to play the Skateboarding games with Natal? Racing?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 08:36:53 am »

That PS3 controller needs a bit more development. But like the Wii, imagine lightsabers.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 09:51:00 am »

That PS3 controller needs a bit more development. But like the Wii, imagine lightsabers.
Imagine not retarded lightsabers. That is ultimately the difference between this and the Wii. The motion controls could make decent games.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 03:58:02 pm »

I'm just waiting until the controllers themselves impart physical force upon the user.

It's boring how I can swing effortlessly and bump objects with no feedback to me.

I mean really now. If I shoot a gun with that controller, I want recoil. If I hit something with a sword, I want feedback. If my sword is blocked, I want my movement to be stopped exactly the way it should be.

Yes, I realize this may take us some 30 odd years to create.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 04:28:00 pm »

Although that could create some dick viruses. Like one that causes the controller to repeatedly smack you in the head.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 03:36:55 am »

Imagine not retarded lightsabers. That is ultimately the difference between this and the Wii. The motion controls could make decent games.
The motionplus might help.  I dunno.  Has anyone here tried one?  I haven't yet.

Incidentally, the eyetoy never really took off, did it?  I'm not sure why bringing it back with another shallow gimmick is such a great idea.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 04:59:54 am »

I'm just waiting until the controllers themselves impart physical force upon the user.

It's boring how I can swing effortlessly and bump objects with no feedback to me.

I mean really now. If I shoot a gun with that controller, I want recoil. If I hit something with a sword, I want feedback. If my sword is blocked, I want my movement to be stopped exactly the way it should be.

Yes, I realize this may take us some 30 odd years to create.

There's few problems to creating it. The real problem is making it safe. Heh, we can't even have bright blinking lights because of the whole seizure thing.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: [1] 2 3